GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a CB on your 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT? If so, what Bluetooth headset do you have? Any problems with transmitting and receiving?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Plus 1 on the Sena 20s....no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sena SRL and Sena 30K. Both work will.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
20evo so I can plug in my earbuds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have a CB on your 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT? If so, what Bluetooth headset do you have? Any problems with transmitting and receiving?

Thanks for your input
Beware If you will be riding two up and are expecting to have the ability for seamless / simultaneous use (receiving & transmitting) of your CB radio while also having Intercom between you and your passenger (as is possible on 2017 and earlier Gold Wings). Per Sena, it is not possible with (at least) either the Sena SRL or 20S EVO headset models, despite Honda's Powersports recommendation and assurances to my wife and I that the Sena 20S would be the solution! We had also tried the J&M BT04 headsets, but they did not work for us either.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Beware If you will be riding two up and are expecting to have the ability for seamless / simultaneous use (receiving & transmitting) of your CB radio while also having Intercom between you and your passenger (as is possible on 2017 and earlier Gold Wings). Per Sena, it is not possible with (at least) either the Sena SRL or 20S EVO headset models, despite Honda's Powersports recommendation and assurances to my wife and I that the Sena 20S would be the solution! We had also tried the J&M BT04 headsets, but they did not work for us either.

In an earlier thread here on this subject, it was noted that Sena did not want the CB to be used in combination with the other communicative abilities of the Sena products. So, NO, it will not work as you want it to work.\

Now, that being the case, for those who desire CB comms, you don't have a wired connection available to you with the NEWer Wings. Sena is trying to FORCE THEIR version of wireless on you, so that you will buy from ONLY them. The problem with that is that WIRELESS is FAR from being UNIVERSAL at this point in time.

Some products still don't talk to each other...at least that's what I have found from reading posts about it. And the products that do, have to be "paired" with each other to work. The "wireless" industry is still trying to fight for DOMINANCE by each company in the fight. We as consumers are being hurt by this. With the CBs, you had multiple choices of brands that would work...even using a "trucker" handheld CB mounted on the handlebars.

Wireless isn't at that stage right now, and it disparately needs to be...for us as consumers. We need a Motorcycle Wireless CB unit that will allow Intercom, phone, and streaming music all in one unit, with a dedicated "channel" for ALL riders to use when passing each other on opposite sides of the Interstate. In others words, as I ride South on I-95, and I see a Goldwing riding in the opposite Northbound lanes of I-95, I want to be able to say "HI" to it, and get a response from the other rider. It would get his attention by over-riding his/her music he is listening to, and give him/her an alert to respond to me, on the Universal Motorcycle channel.

The industry is not there at this time, unfortunately. So right now, the 'old" CB is still the "go-to" workhorse for group communications that are group universal. The new kids on the block make snide remarks about the CB, but they can't come up with a workable alternative...so their remarks are just that...SNIDE. They don't hold water, so to speak. When it comes to group riding with more than about 4 people, the "old" CB is STILL KING!

·
Registered
162 Posts
In an earlier thread here on this subject, it was noted that Sena did not want the CB to be used in combination with the other communicative abilities of the Sena products. So, NO, it will not work as you want it to work.\

Now, that being the case, for those who desire CB comms, you don't have a wired connection available to you with the NEWer Wings. Sena is trying to FORCE THEIR version of wireless on you, so that you will buy from ONLY them. The problem with that is that WIRELESS is FAR from being UNIVERSAL at this point in time.

Some products still don't talk to each other...at least that's what I have found from reading posts about it. And the products that do, have to be "paired" with each other to work. The "wireless" industry is still trying to fight for DOMINANCE by each company in the fight. We as consumers are being hurt by this. With the CBs, you had multiple choices of brands that would work...even using a "trucker" handheld CB mounted on the handlebars.

Wireless isn't at that stage right now, and it disparately needs to be...for us as consumers. We need a Motorcycle Wireless CB unit that will allow Intercom, phone, and streaming music all in one unit, with a dedicated "channel" for ALL riders to use when passing each other on opposite sides of the Interstate. In others words, as I ride South on I-95, and I see a Goldwing riding in the opposite Northbound lanes of I-95, I want to be able to say "HI" to it, and get a response from the other rider. It would get his attention by over-riding his/her music he is listening to, and give him/her an alert to respond to me, on the Universal Motorcycle channel.

The industry is not there at this time, unfortunately. So right now, the 'old" CB is still the "go-to" workhorse for group communications that are group universal. The new kids on the block make snide remarks about the CB, but they can't come up with a workable alternative...so their remarks are just that...SNIDE. They don't hold water, so to speak. When it comes to group riding with more than about 4 people, the "old" CB is STILL KING!
You make some good points about the state of Bluetooth technology and how the motorcycle headset suppliers have been handling its implementation, but the point remains that Honda is apparently recommending the Sena 20S as their approved headset solution for the 2018 Gold Wing (when owners contact Honda Powersports in CA to complain as I did), and in my case, my selling dealer further recommended the Sena 20S once his DSM became involved. I went ahead and purchased the Sena SRL's (Per Sena, same functionality as their 20S unit) based on Honda's assurances to me and my selling dealer.

So after spending well in excess of $ 1,000.00 to have my selling Honda dealer install a factory authorized Honda CB radio, initially purchasing a set J&M's BT headsets, which also did not work for us, and finally purchasing headsets from Honda's recommended supplier (Sena's) solution, my wife and I still cannot use the CB radio seamlessly / simultaneously with Intercom whenever she is a passenger on the bike. We routinely ride in a group(s) of other GoldWing riders / passengers and need this functionality.

In my opinion, Honda (not the headset suppliers) bears the full responsibility for this mess. If at the time of purchase of our 2018 Gold Wing Tour bike, prior to the CB radio being added to our purchase invoice, our selling dealer would have informed us that use of the CB radio seamlessly / simultaneously with Intercom (as we had with our prior, 2014 Goldwing) would no longer be possible, then we would not have purchased the CB radio option. Of course, Honda is ultimately responsible to have communicated this critical information to its dealers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes but....do you ALSO have a passenger on intercom AND stream music AND Navigation commands? I think, when trying to answer the OPs real question, we have to consider the use-case as many of us have very different use cases. My current use case is:
- solo rider (most of the time)
- OEM CB radio
- Iphone using Apple Car Play (music, waze, etc)
- XM Radio (used more for traffic and weather than anything else)
- NOT trying to use intercom

I think if you try to do EVERYTHING (Nav+music+passenger intercom+CB radio) that there isn't anything out there currently Bluetooth capable to do this. On the rare occasion that I do have a passenger, every time we try to have an intercom conversation, SOMETHING screws up (Apple Car Play disconnects, the music drops off, etc).

So, before someone says "hey, i don't know what your problem is because mine works great" let's consider the use-case. Btw, I currently use a J&M BT-03 and (barring the comment above) have been 90% happy with it. John Lazzeroni at J&M has been very responsive to me (try that with Sena) and even built a custom 3.5mm audio jack into my BT-03 so I could plug in my very expensive Fit-Ear earbuds (again, try that with Sena). I will shortly be getting a new Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon lid which I will have J&M do a BT-04 install on.

Cheers,
Matt

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
85 Posts
....... We need a Motorcycle Wireless CB unit that will allow Intercom, phone, and streaming music all in one unit, with a dedicated "channel" for ALL riders to use when passing each other on opposite sides of the Interstate. In others words, as I ride South on I-95, and I see a Goldwing riding in the opposite Northbound lanes of I-95, I want to be able to say "HI" to it, and get a response from the other rider. It would get his attention by over-riding his/her music he is listening to, and give him/her an alert to respond to me, on the Universal Motorcycle channel.

!

And this is why I am not putting a CB on my bike. Why do I want you to say Hi to me interrupting me while I'm listening to music?

Do you know how annoying it would be having your music interrupted every time your CB breaks squelch?

I have a Sena headset I link to my phone and listen to music. I have my 3 kids that will ride with me occasionally and 2 other buddies that I will pair with on rides, other than that I have no desire whatsoever to talk to anyone else.

The problem with what you guys want is with the bluetooth technology. It can only pair to so many devices. Pair to another headset and your phone, that's it. Pair to the bike, but not your phone.

You guys want more out of blue tooth technology than it was ever conceived to be used for.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Perhaps true (that we are asking more of bluetooth than it is capable), but....

We are only asking for what we already had with the previous generation GW. With my 02 and my 15 GW, I could...
- listen to music
- have XM radio
- hear navigation commands from either an externally mounted GPS or the OEM Nav
- have an uninterrupted CB conversation (which was TOTALLY private btw) with my passenger
- use the CB radio without having to think about
- and EVEN have a phone conversation if I wanted to.

So, the OLD tech did it all. One would EXPECT the NEW tech to do at least as much as the old tech did.
Just sayin'....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Perhaps true (that we are asking more of bluetooth than it is capable), but....

We are only asking for what we already had with the previous generation GW. With my 02 and my 15 GW, I could...
- listen to music
- have XM radio
- hear navigation commands from either an externally mounted GPS or the OEM Nav
- have an uninterrupted CB conversation (which was TOTALLY private btw) with my passenger
- use the CB radio without having to think about
- and EVEN have a phone conversation if I wanted to.

So, the OLD tech did it all. One would EXPECT the NEW tech to do at least as much as the old tech did.
Just sayin'....

You had that with a wired intercom system, not Bluetooth.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well...ummm...yeah

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
And this is why I am not putting a CB on my bike. Why do I want you to say Hi to me interrupting me while I'm listening to music?

Do you know how annoying it would be having your music interrupted every time your CB breaks squelch?

I have a Sena headset I link to my phone and listen to music. I have my 3 kids that will ride with me occasionally and 2 other buddies that I will pair with on rides, other than that I have no desire whatsoever to talk to anyone else.

The problem with what you guys want is with the bluetooth technology. It can only pair to so many devices. Pair to another headset and your phone, that's it. Pair to the bike, but not your phone.

You guys want more out of blue tooth technology than it was ever conceived to be used for.
Not just "you guys" but apparently the manufacturers are trying to use it as a solution too. And when you're use to how brilliantly and conveniently designed the previous generation's system was, it's not easy taking a huge step backwards. I'm glad I bought the NOS 2017 instead and this is one of the main reasons. Maybe Honda should have kept the intercom, radio, CB and NAVI all integrated and just use the Bluetooth for hooking to the bike itself. That would have been smarter than expecting the Bluetooth to do what it isn't designed to do. I believe J&M does have a solution for the issues with these new bikes - except you have to go back to wired helmets.

Yes, I know how annoying it is to have my music interrupted! LOL! I ride with a couple others who like to chat about stuff. We'd be on channel 20 and after a while I'd just switch to 21 for a while and let them talk. They figured me out though because they found me one day - one of them decided to move up the channels and one moved down. They knew they had me when they saw my helmet move down like I was cussing! :lol: So it's a funny story among us now. But as annoying as that got sometimes, having the CB is well worth it for normal communications about road obstructions, someone needing a bathroom break, where are we going to stop, which exit should be take, asking truckers what the weather/road conditions are ahead and just general enjoyment of riding with a group. I refuse to be without one. And now my friends are understanding in that they can chat to their hearts content about anything and still find me on the next channel when something important comes up. ;)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
You had that with a wired intercom system, not Bluetooth.
You could get the J&M Bluehub for the previous generation bikes and use Bluetooth headsets. That's probably what Honda should have done is kept all the integration of the prior model and add a Bluetooth hub. It all worked great together before. We were spoiled and they took it away.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the Sena 20s Evo and it works great with the CB. No problems.
What happens when you have a passenger (with their own Sena 20S EVO headset) on your bike and you want to use the Intercom (to speak with your passenger) while maintaining the ability to transmit / receive on your CB radio? Or as I suspect, are you riding solo with only one (your) Sena 20S EVO headset paired to bike and therefore have no need for the Intercom (in which case, yes, the CB radio works)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts