GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a CB radio, but I don't want it very much. Searching on the Internet, I found THIS ARTICLE explaining how to put one on your bike for about $75. Here is the basic plan:

For around $40 you can purchase a Uniden Bearcat PRO505XL CB radio. The unit comes with a microphone and mounting gear designed to attach to a car dashboard or console. You will need to make some modifications to fit it on your bike but it is rated as one of the best basic CBs on the market. For another $20 you can find several CB antennas designed for motorcycles. Check the rear end of your bike to make sure there is a place to attach it before you buy. If you are really looking for a bargain, try your local flea market, but remember there are no guarantees that you will come away with a working unit.

• Is it possible?
  • Could a casual user really my this work?
  • Has anyone one this already?

I'm just not willing to throw $1,000.00 at a radio when I'm pretty darn sure I'll hardly use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Don't have a CB, Never will. I'm sure it's been done.
OEM CB's are the biggest ripoff out there.

I want a CB radio, but I don't want it very much. Searching on the Internet, I found THIS ARTICLE explaining how to put one on your bike for about $75. Here is the basic plan:

For around $40 you can purchase a Uniden Bearcat PRO505XL CB radio. The unit comes with a microphone and mounting gear designed to attach to a car dashboard or console. You will need to make some modifications to fit it on your bike but it is rated as one of the best basic CBs on the market. For another $20 you can find several CB antennas designed for motorcycles. Check the rear end of your bike to make sure there is a place to attach it before you buy. If you are really looking for a bargain, try your local flea market, but remember there are no guarantees that you will come away with a working unit.

• Is it possible?
  • Could a casual user really my this work?
  • Has anyone one this already?

I'm just not willing to throw $1,000.00 at a radio when I'm pretty darn sure I'll hardly use it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Smaller

Midland 75-822 <== This one is smaller and less expensive. At Amizon, it is $76, but if you look around you can get it $10 to $15 less. If & when I get my trike back (which I"ve been without since 4/13/13), I have a special bracket I made for mounting on the handle bars. You can use internal AA batteries, if you don't use it much, or you can hook it up through a cigrette plug.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
CB Question

Is there any way to wire these units into the on board radio so it works through the headsets and handlebar controls?

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
The CB will work just fine on most bikes in most cases

However when you start to connect it to the existing audio system like we have on the GL1800 that is when the fun can start

At minimum you should use a correct GL1800 CB antenna you may also need to take further steps to avoid interference etc

Sierra sell a kit for adding a handheld maybe you would be better to consider that

Now if you ride without a passenger you can consider splitting the MIC off the bike system to feed the CB and then bring the audio in to the headset

·
Registered
558 Posts
My $.02....

Ran a CB while running the road for 2,000,000 miles. 1,500,000 of it off. To many potty mouths out there. Driving a truck and years in the Navy I know all the words. To many kids clogging the air waves. To many wannabes runnin' their jaw before engaging their brains. I have 2 Cobras in the garage that have been turned up to 10 watts while I was out on the road just to get over the trash.

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
Ran a CB while running the road for 2,000,000 miles. 1,500,000 of it off. To many potty mouths out there. Driving a truck and years in the Navy I know all the words. To many kids clogging the air waves. To many wannabes runnin' their jaw before engaging their brains. I have 2 Cobras in the garage that have been turned up to 10 watts while I was out on the road just to get over the trash.
turned up to 10 watts sounds about like something a trash talker does

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is there any way to wire these units into the on board radio so it works through the headsets and handlebar controls?
I have the same question. Does anyone have a sketch or schematic they can share to make this happen?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why does the CB Even have to be mounted? Why couldn't I just throw it over my shoulder on a strap? If it's only for occasional use, I would think that would be fine. Just plug in the antenna, use AA batteries, and rock on. :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts