GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nope only amplifies transmitted signal power, higher gain anetnna will help with both to a certain extent. Limited on the GW

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Besides illegal, a linear amp only does the transmit signal. Another preamp-reciever would be needed for reception. Both would also amplify all low noises in radio waves. Power has to "square", for increases. Ideal amp would be a small 4 watt, just enought to double the usual 2 watt output on cbs. Few get to the 4 watt legal limit. (do not know what gw cb does) Then, there is the radio wave legal limit distance to a human being. Lots of fools put linears on auto cb, with antenna magnetic mount over their heads, and radiate them selfs. (not healthy) Be happy or change out to another radio type.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Other than the legal and health/radiation issues if the receiving party is not transmitting back to you at the same power you will find that they hear you but you don't hear them over the extended distance you would be achieving and then when riding in a group you would have to turn it off due to the close proximity so little point really.

Also ask the HAM guys too much power on a wing will cause all kinds of noises in the audio system

Just find a good CB with high modulation the OEM is normally around 60% which is low

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Many linears are "bi-linears" meaning the unit boost the tx signal of the radio from a legal 4 watts to a higher output wattage. The rx side is amplified so that faint signals are more easily heard. Both the tx and rx are usually switched so you can turn the on/off separately.

My concern would be the inability of the cb antenna and folding connection to handle any great increase in output power. I think the restrictions would make the resistances (SWR) sky rocket and damge the linear.

many times a linear allows you to be heard much farther than you are able to hear--so whats the use. If you want to have a good cb, do all you can do to have the SWR as low as possible and the modulation % on the mic as strong and clear as possible.

For another option look here.
Clay's Radio shop--the compressor
http://www.motorcycle-communications.com/index.html

·
Registered
674 Posts
Then, there is the radio wave legal limit distance to a human being. Lots of fools put linears on auto cb, with antenna magnetic mount over their heads, and radiate them selfs. (not healthy) Be happy or change out to another radio type.

GL03 is referring to:

Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Personal (HERP)

Not to be confused with Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Ordnance (HERO) which you concealed carry guys may want to think about if you have a high power transmitter.......

I deal with both HERP and HERO in my line of work.

USUALLY a higher gain antenna is a better fix than more power.... but a 5/8 wave antenna would be quite awkward on a motorcycle and your ground plane is VERY lacking on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
<...>USUALLY a higher gain antenna is a better fix than more power.... but a 5/8 wave antenna would be quite awkward on a motorcycle and your ground plane is VERY lacking on a motorcycle.
Right-o!

The biggest issue is lack of a proper ground plane. Attacking a transmit problem on this bike with a whole lot of power (> 50W) is counter-productive. There's a terribly inefficient radiator (antenna) on the far end of that radio.

I've only (on-air) heard one GL2WAY system...if I was to do it again, that would be the setup I'd have; sounds great on-air, and the owner tells me he gets adequate reception.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Personal (HERP)
My HAM Rig on my bike gives me 120W on HF, 50W on VHF and UHF. I have it turned down to 5W because that antenna is but a few feet from my head. A real concern on a motorcycle as compared to cages. But given the age of most Wing riders, there are to be no more offspring, so at least you, or your wife, won't be giving birth to a two headed mutant cow anytime soon if you chose to add a linear amplifier to the CB.

Yes, the best modulation (The GL2way uses an AGC system on the microphone circult to keep it optimized), antenna match and gain are what you want to look into.

Some days, I want to ride helmet-less, but then I'd look silly when I transfer the aluminum foil I use to block the waves from inside the helmet to my bare head.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can go to jail

In addition to what others have stated in regard to the lack luster performance of a CB antenna on a bike due to the lack of a ground plane trying to "beef" up performance with the addition of a linear amplifier can end costing you a ton of money or even the possibility of jail time. I work in the public safety area and part of my charter is chasing down interference. Whether it be malicious or unintentional the consequences of interfering with public safety radio traffic can be very serious.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "garbage in garbage out". While an amplifier can increase the output of a legitimate carrier it can also increase the output of "garbage" signals generated by either the CB or the linear amplifier, these are referred to as spurious emissions. I can add whole lot more in how this also leads to intermod which is another form of interference but I am trying to keep this at a level that a layman can understand.

Commercial radio equipment has to undergo thorough rigorous testing and submit test results to the FCC in order to be what is called "Type Accepted". Type acceptance leads to increased cost, therefore many of the amplifiers used in the CB world are not type accepted, obviously not only because the use of an amp on CB frequencies is illegal but also because of the cost involved to get them type accepted. Some folks think they can skirt the law by using a type accepted amplifier but it doesn't help when they are standing in front of the judge.

I will admit that prosecution, if caught, is rare but the FCC has the power to invoke a heavy fine. The majority of folks I have located via direction finding were using illegal amplifiers from a base station (fixed location) and they had absolutely no idea they were interfering with frequencies used by the local law enforcement agencies. In all but one case that I can recall they were let off after a stern converstaion with the Police and Fire chiefs. One dude was stupid enough to thumb his nose, and if I recall the authorities got the FCC involved which promptly levied a $15000 fine if memory serves me correctly.

Please don't put yourself in such a predicament.........for all intents and purposes a CB on a bike is not going to work more that a couple of miles. The real intent was bike to bike communications for those riding in a group, nothing more.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Thinking about installing a Linear Amp on the CB. Besides boosting the transmit power, would this help in reception? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
:bow:
What it WILL do is to annoy the crap out of everyone else trying to use their CB in your vicinity. Please don't.

·
Registered
524 Posts
salyzyn I gotta tell ya.. I only understand about a third of your technical explanations, but, they sure are impressive and appreciated.... maybe in my next life I'll understand the birds and bee's better... gotta hope ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. Guess I will forego the expense and possible problems. :thumbup:
Best decison, because as everyone pointed out it will just cause you problems. Now find a ham radio operator and ask them to tune your antenna for you. Trust me, it will help both your trans./rec. side of the CB if the antenna is matched to the radio. This is something that the factory or your dealer does not do. A SWR match of 1:1 is perfect but anything close will be an improvement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts