GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 month old 08 GL 1800 w Honda CB. Worked fine for 6000 miles. Today, I switched it on and the screen says "ERROR CB" and CB is dead. Can not control squelch, change channels or volume - dead dead dead. Wonder if it got fried. I have not diddled with any of the wiring other than installing the cig lighter in the left pocket and switching that fuse to 10 amp. Any thoughts? Also is the warranty on the electronics the same as on the bike - 3 yr unlimited miles?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
CB

Mine did that one time several months ago. Next time I got on the bike it was all back to normal. Only did it that one time. YMMV

·
Registered
466 Posts
3 month old 08 GL 1800 w Honda CB. Worked fine for 6000 miles. Today, I switched it on and the screen says "ERROR CB" and CB is dead. Can not control squelch, change channels or volume - dead dead dead. Wonder if it got fried. I have not diddled with any of the wiring other than installing the cig lighter in the left pocket and switching that fuse to 10 amp. Any thoughts? Also is the warranty on the electronics the same as on the bike - 3 yr unlimited miles?
Sorry to hear the CB died so soon. I've passed 12000 on my 08 and so far, so good.

As for the warranty, I don't think it's 3 years, but more like 1 year. Somewhere in the fine print on page 259 [<- slight carcasm] of the warranty there's something about certain electronics not being covered [iirc, the radio's in that list too]. About all I can suggest is getting it to the dealer pronto for a look-see.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Could it be something simple, like a blown fuse?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My understanding is that if the dealer installs it then its good for the 3yr period. If you install it, then not. There is an extended warranty that does cover the audio parts of the bike for an extra fee.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I would check the connector and make sure it is properly seated. With electronics sometimes (often) the fix is a cold reset. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery, then turn on the key. Let it sit for 5 minutes and turn the key back off before connecting the battery back again.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Honda CB Radio on my previous 01 GL1800 used to have a 3 year warranty. No matter who installed it. After looking through the owners manual for my current CB, I noticed on the last page it now doesn't say how long the warranty is. Only to consult with a dealer.

It looks like Honda revised the wording in 09/2006. :wrong:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would check the connector and make sure it is properly seated. With electronics sometimes (often) the fix is a cold reset. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery, then turn on the key. Let it sit for 5 minutes and turn the key back off before connecting the battery back again.
The disconnect of battery is OK but I do not undestand what turning on the key with the battery disconnected is going to do. There is no current available with the battery disconnected. Please explain.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i would go for the connector under the seat first
unplug it , check for anything unusual , clean it and plug it
:joke:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Mark,

Turning on the key is to make sure any capacitors in the circuit get discharged. With the key off, the CB is not connected to the battery so nothing will likely change. We don't want to disconnect or reconnect the battery with the key already on because in the process you will make several millisecond long connect-disconnect pulses which could damage something.

·
Registered
109 Posts
error cb

My 02 had a error cb message, the cb came unpluged under the top shelter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mark,

Turning on the key is to make sure any capacitors in the circuit get discharged. With the key off, the CB is not connected to the battery so nothing will likely change. We don't want to disconnect or reconnect the battery with the key already on because in the process you will make several millisecond long connect-disconnect pulses which could damage something.
I am just trying to understand where these capacitor(s) are. I am not trying to be a "smart butt" as I am getting ready to order and install the Honda CB system and need to understand the dynamics. Most capacitors I have worked with in R/C car racing was used to absorb energy spikes for radio frequency interferance. Most would bleed off excess energy in a small millisecond before being excited again on the next cycle.

Just trying to understand and locate these capacitors so I am getting the right picture to digest.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Besides absorbing spikes capacitors are also used to keep memory chips remembering what they are supposed to remember. I am sure this is not the case in the CB inop issue that I have. I am wondering what message if any you get if you try to switch on a CB and you do not have one. Does it say "ERROR CB" or what?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't recall seeing any messages on the screen before I hooked up my CB.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
It was just a suggestion on something to try if you find the connector under the seat is good. My money is on the connector, but this was a second suggestion. All you're doing is removing all power and being sure everything re-initializes.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I have not diddled with any of the wiring other than installing the cig lighter in the left pocket and switching that fuse to 10 amp.
One should not add a higher amp fuse to the stock fuse-block.

The fuse I'm guessing you replaced is fuse #6 which was 5 amp. That fuse feeds only the screw ACC terminal right inside the fuse box. It feeds nothing else. The red plug under the left pocket is protected by the 15 amp fuse #21 (AUDIO/ACC) and runs through the ACC relay. There are also a number of other things that run from that BLACK/LtGREEN wire though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Besides absorbing spikes capacitors are also used to keep memory chips remembering what they are supposed to remember. I am sure this is not the case in the CB inop issue that I have. I am wondering what message if any you get if you try to switch on a CB and you do not have one. Does it say "ERROR CB" or what?
Jeff, nothing on mine when I try to use the CB functions without the CB installed. I still think it is a connection issue or the small pin connectionunder the seat is install in the wrong pin connector.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One should not add a higher amp fuse to the stock fuse-block.

The fuse I'm guessing you replaced is fuse #6 which was 5 amp. That fuse feeds only the screw ACC terminal right inside the fuse box. It feeds nothing else. The red plug under the left pocket is protected by the 15 amp fuse #21 (AUDIO/ACC) and runs through the ACC relay. There are also a number of other things that run from that BLACK/LtGREEN wire though.
Instructions the cig lighter came with tell you to switch the 5 amp with 10 amp. Makes sense too. Also read here that the 5 blows with an air pump and many other charging devices that plug into the cig lighter (non withstanding a cig lighter which I do not use !!!)
JJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts