GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find solution for using a CB on this bike? I began riding with a group that uses CB communications, and I have not found many good ways to participate, either using the bike audio or a separate system. Anyone doing this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I looked at that, but it means I lose the intercom. Since I often ride with my wife as passenger, that’s not really a good choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CB Radio on F6B

WingNero...here's what I did on my '13 F6B tweaking the system over the last couple of years. I have it now perfected and love it.
First I started with a Midland 75-785 40 channel handheld CB radio...Amazon $50. I mounted the radio using two (2) RAM mount items. One was the reservoir RAM dual ball mount and a RAM marine radio mounting plate. The mounting plate provided a flat mounting surface to mount the radio in a variety of ways. I am using heavy duty velcro to secure the radio to the mounting plate. You can use mounting screws, too....the more secure the better. Big bumps at highway speeds jarred mine loose a couple of times.
I then bought a fire stick antenna and bracket mount that just so happened (with a little modification) to line up with the mounting holes of the luggage rack. Sierra Electronics item SIE-CBA-FB36-BNC. $65. Snaked the antenna cable up to the radio via under seat and up the handlebar cable channel on the left side. You will need a cable adapter to convert the antenna cable to connect to the radio. Additionally, I bought a headset harness from Sierra that connects to the radio for audio & Tx to the helmet with a push to talk button. (Sierra item number JM-RHD-20.) This then connects to the helmet's Goldwing cord. You now have CB Rx/Tx via your wired GW helmet headset. The downside is that this set up requires you to blast your music through the bike's speakers AND that pricey little radio harness isn't weatherproof and keys up the mike when it got wet. It would dry out overnight and it worked OK after, but a PIA!
So, I said I tweaked it over the last couple of years, right? Being fed up w/ that J&M harness, I invested in a Sena SR10-10 Bluetooth Adapter for Two-Way Radios or Mobile Phones and a Sena SC-A0115 2-Way Radio Cable for Midland Twin-Pin Connector (both on Amazon). What this did was get most of the system WEATHERPROOF AND WIRELESS! No additional wiring was required. It connected to the CB radio similarly as the J&M harness. The Sena SR-10 connects to my helmets BT headset as a "second" cell phone. And, of course, my iPhone connects to the BT headset as a cell phone. BUT!!! With the SR-10, I can play my tunes from the iPhone and when a CB transmission comes in, the music is paused and you hear the Tx not missing a single word. There is a three (3) wait before music returns, but that is by design so other transmissions can be heard or you may want to transmit, too. After the 3 secs, back to music. Telephone works the same way only it overrides CB Txs. Battery life is amazing for both the Sena and the Midland radio.
For me, this is a perfect set up that gets "most" of the CB system weatherproof and works really, really well for me. Club riders said that the Tx were loud and clear and so were theirs. The only weak link now is the radio...it isn't weatherproof. But I carry plastic weather bags to cover it if I have too. Not that the CB radio is disposable, but worse case it's another $50 to replace it. Total cost was about $500 with the Sena being about half of that. But, as you probably know, a OEM CB is much more and our bikes aren't wired for CB. I have attached a few pics for you.
You got yourself a winter project!! I would recommend jumping right into the Sena set up and save the $65 dollars on the J&M harness. But, if you want my retired harness to ease into a CB system, let me know and I'll send it to you.
Note: I have a Nolan N100-5 helmet with a N_Com BX-1 headset. Have fun this winter!!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts