GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine bought a GL2way from Pete. Had a little trouble at first but it's working now.

We noticed on a ride yesterday that the further we are from each other, up to 2 miles away, the better the transmission recieved from my buddy. Close to each other, as in riding staggered, I hear a fair amount of background noise along with his voice. It's livable but should be better.

Any suggestions to try???

BTW-Pete's customer service has been top notch, as usual. I haven't contacted Pete since our ride yesterday so he's unaware of the small problem. I'm just asking for other suggestions from board members as well.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Not sure what you are calling background noise but when I ride staggered or close to others with wings they all say mine is VERY LOUD and roger beep is also. They have commented how much better mine sounds than OEM when we get strung out. Riding with my Harley buddies no one says anything as we all have basically the same cb. This probably doesn't help you much but this mike picks up everything in my opinion. In fact one of our wing riders says my radio is so loud it hurts his ears? GO FIGURE...But then again they are strictly GWRRA and only buy OEM has Honda is best is their comment. They never think outside the box..

·
Registered
315 Posts
cb

i have an oem out put watts 5 watts, brother in law has a gl2way cb it puts out 5.5 watts, may be why things seem better then oem.. ride safe mike in ga.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any ideas on what to do when we are staggered??

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Any ideas on what to do when we are staggered??
With any AM CB radio the squelch and volume controls are very important and need constant adjustment for peak performance

He is just loud you are getting lots of modulation from him the issue is actually your reception not his transmission as you can hear him you can turn down the MIC in the settings but I don't recommend this as it will decrease range or you can turn down your volume or have him move the MIC further from his mouth.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...... you can turn down the MIC in the settings........

What do you mean by "turn down the MIC in the settings"?????????

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
What do you mean by "turn down the MIC in the settings"?????????
I would rather you din't do it as you are sacrificing performance of one unit to accommodate another but if you insist

Set the CB to SPEAKERS AND CH7 NOT UP

With the SQUELCH GO UP UP DOWN DOWN quickly

You should hear 3 beeps if you don't try again

Once you do

GO DOWN to CH26

SET CB VOUME TO 15 14 OR 13 NO LOWER TRY 14 FIRST

HIT THE PTT and try it

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete,

What about choking down the actual mic area by removing the windsock, putting some tape with one small hole over the mic, then put the windsock back over the mic???

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Pete,

What about choking down the actual mic area by removing the windsock, putting some tape with one small hole over the mic, then put the windsock back over the mic???
Dan, I cut the finger tip off a latex surgical glove (left over from a brain surgery I did), poked a small hole in it and slipped it over mic(trying to cut down wind noise. It really "muffled" the audio quality.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark,

You're a little overpowering as well though not you don't have any of the background noise like Tom's. Might need a little tweak on yours as well before Bryson City.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I expect that the background noise is always there, just a perception that it is reduced at distance because it is overpowered by radio static.

There is an art and a science to noise reduction.

One of the reasons the GL2way system has such consistently strong modulation is due to an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) on the Microphone circuit. The effect of mechanical adjustments like this is small on the modulation over a wide range, until there is no more gain to be added by the AGC system of course. What you may get is a reduction of the road or background noise; or not. In the extremes of covering up the microphone, however, if there are problems lurking excited by an increase in the microphone gain to compensate, there may be an increase in electronic noise (static) or susceptibility to get RF pickup (feedback or squeal).

The Microphone Trim that Pete points out adjusts the AGC level thus reducing the modulation and sensitivity. This will have a direct effect on reducing the pickup of road noise with a more consistent result than adjusting the microphone sensitivity with tape.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I expect that the background noise is always there, just a perception that it is reduced at distance because it is overpowered by radio static.

There is an art and a science to noise reduction.

One of the reasons the GL2way system has such consistently strong modulation is due to an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) on the Microphone circuit. The effect of mechanical adjustments like this is small on the modulation over a wide range, until there is no more gain to be added by the AGC system of course. What you may get is a reduction of the road or background noise; or not. In the extremes of covering up the microphone, however, if there are problems lurking excited by an increase in the microphone gain to compensate, there may be an increase in electronic noise (static) or susceptibility to get RF pickup (feedback or squeal).

The Microphone Trim that Pete points out adjusts the AGC level thus reducing the modulation and sensitivity. This will have a direct effect on reducing the pickup of road noise with a more consistent result than adjusting the microphone sensitivity with tape.

Good explanation!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
roger beep on gl2way cb

How do you set the roger beep on gl2way cb ?

Ed :confused:

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
How do you set the roger beep on gl2way cb ?

Ed :confused:
Depends on the software if you have 1.6 or later just press the right hand radio knob until you see roger beep then select ON

If you have earlier than 1.6 then you do not have the beep

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Personally I find the roger beep to be annoying if on the receiving end, and turn mine off. But to each his own.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Depends on the software if you have 1.6 or later just press the right hand radio knob until you see roger beep then select ON

Thanks Pete,I didn't get instructions with it.

Ed :coffee1:

·
Registered
124 Posts

How can I check which software version I have?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
How can I check which software version I have?
Printed on the label on the box.

Or, you can ask it, with the PTT, three short presses (1/3s each), followed smoothly by one longer press (1/3s to 1s) will report the version on the channel display. Do this as if you are doing the PTT gesture to switch the controlling radio but with four presses instead of three, making sure you hang a bit on the last one. There will be a complicated series of beeps in acknowledgement, those that can 'read' morse code will 'hear' a 'V' followed by a number indicating the version.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Printed on the label on the box.

Or, you can ask it, with the PTT, three short presses (1/3s each), followed smoothly by one longer press (1/3s to 1s) will report the version on the channel. Do this as if you are doing the PTT gesture to switch the controlling radio but with four presses instead of three, making sure you hang a bit on the last one. There will be a complicated series of beeps in acknowledgement, those that can 'read' morse code will 'hear' a 'V' followed by a number indicating the version.
They are not all HAM guys like you can you imagine if customers start calling us and describing the beeps :eek:4:

Look on the label if not V number then you really need to upgrade, if 1.6 and your working good then its optional if 1.9 thats the latest

1 - 20 of 30 Posts