GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you use your radio? Was it worth the cost? Is HDL the cheapest place to find? Anything you don't like about the Honda radio? Now that you have it, could you live without it??

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
You took the post right outta my keyboard. I have the same questions. If I could buy a regular CB at Walmart for $40 it would be a no-brainer, but at $7 or 8 hundred bucks for cb & antena, I have to know that it is pretty usefull. I will waiting to hear how experienced folks respond to your post.

Thanks for the good questions.

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you ride with a group it is worthwhile. The cost is high, but it really works well with the rest of the system. If I had to do it over again I would go for the Honda unit. Hal has very good prices and good service. If I did not ride a wing I would go with an off the shelf unit.

:blw1:

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you ride with a group, absolutely.

I wondered the same thing and bought a Cobra hand held with the Kennedy Tech hook up at total cost of about$220.

The disadvantage is I must remove it if I am leavng the bike for more than a few minutes. Taht takes about 15 seconds. If it rains I put a plastic bag over it, not too pretty.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I ride with a group a lot, and with 3 or 4 other couples on vacation for the last 3 years. It is an invaluable tool, pointing out hazards like gravel in the turns or the blonde on the cell phone, making fuel stop plans, or just the chat at times to break the silence. It costs a few bucks, all right, but to me it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Gents,
The cb is certainly not a cheap option, i got lucky and bought 1 wholesale when Superbikes of Miami went out of business. If you keep the bike a few years, then the cost is split over a few years and does not seem as much that way. I ride with our local gwrra chapter often, so the cb is a must. The early model 1800 cb's had problems, mine was replaced twice under warranty, and now seems to be working perfectly. JD :biker:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some electronics guru needs to figure out how to wire a $40 Wal Mart cb into the gl1800 system so it works just like the oem one

·
Registered
615 Posts
Javerne, there have been a few valiant tries, to very little success. If they could incorporate the controls that would be the ticket, but that has not been successfull.
I do ride in groups once in a while and I love it. But I apprecitate it on the road when I am by my self. It is like a safety feature to me, a very expensive one, that I couldn't /wouldn't give up. It has helped me numerous times avoid hour long traffic backups and accidents. It is well worth the price once it saves you like that. MHO

·
Registered
48 Posts
I waited about ten months before I decided to get one because of the price, now that I have used it for a while, I really enjoy it , wished I wouldn't have waited so long

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I also waited quite some time, (over a year) and considered a number of options to include a FRS. After doing much research, the cost of really doing a quality application was working it's way into the $400 plus range. I had said earlier that there was no way I was going to Honda $700 for a $40 unit. I finally caved in and was going to buy one when a very special friend in my life bought me one for my birthday!
All I can say is that if you ride with anyone else that has one, it's very nice to have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What's a Few Hundred Bucks anyway?????

We spend 17,000.00 on the best motorcycle in the world. We match helmets and jacket colors to the bike. We spend hundreds on chrome and do dads and then we hang a 40.00 cb radio on the handle bars. I understand that some people stretch the budget just to get the bike. IF.......that is the case, then a cheap radio is better than no cb at all. However if we have the change and cant decide between class and crass, that is something totally different. I did and would again buy the Honda CB radio just because of the ease of operation and avoiding the second thought look. My thoughts on the subject

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Yes, $700 bucks is a lot of Money for a CB. Especially when you can go to a truck stop and buy a top of the line for $150.

But let us look at a GPS. Latest Garmins are around $750 + $100 bucks for a Kennedy Harness. Is it worth it when you can buy all the maps in the world for that kind of money? I say no, but I have one. Now how much does an integrated GPS cost in the High End cars? $2000 - $2500?

I guess the key is, are you going to ride with other bikes with a CB? Are you going to travel the interstate without a cell phone or GPS , where a CB might come in handy?

Value is based solely on the perception of the buyer. So do you perceive the value of the Honda CB to be too much money, and not worth your money, the answer is clear. If you want to have one with your buddies for pleasure and safety, then the perceived value is good and that answer is evident.

I know of more people that have installed the Honda CB after the purchase of the bike, than with the purchase of the bike. It would appear that sticker shock caught them up front, but then the choice of having a CB came around for whatever reason.

Take a look at the new CB/Intercom system that J&M has come out with for Other brands of bikes. Somebody must see a need in the market.

The choice is yours and based on your perceived value of the item.

Bulldog

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought a midland cb and the fix from Kennedy. I keep it in the glove box. Use the PTT switch on the handlebars. Channel and squelsh inside the glove box. Can switch it out in 5 seconds to an FSR radio.

I installed the goldwing cb antena . Need it for the arm rests anyway.
Cost minus the antena was

79.00 for the cb unit
140 for the fix. Push to talk and the cb/fsr connection
14.00 for the pug for power which I modified
swr meter 15.00
rg 58 connector and wire 10.00

works good and a fairly clean install.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yep you can configure an aftermarket CB for less money, but after a period of time I would get tired of putting it on the bike and taking it off, what a hassle! With the factory CB you don't have to worry about putting it on and taking it off, it's always there and ready to work for you. Mine transmits and receives loud and clear, no second thoughts about my decision.

-David

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
What they said! (yes, I've got an OEM CB)

Go for it!

All it takes it one good safe lane change with a couple other bikes to make it pay for itself.

Who knows? It might even add $50 to the resale value of your wing :p

·
Registered
484 Posts
As well as the good information that has been listed above, if you are traveling with someone that has a GPS(i.e.; StreetPilot 111) that gives turn by turn direction with voice, the person with the GPS can push the PTT on the CB everyone on the same channel can hear the turns provided by the GPS.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You heard them Jimmy Andrews
BUY THE HONDA - don't look to save money now , a must have.

Tony - Chicagoland :yes2:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Look at it this way. Buy the Honda CB. If you don't like it, then sell it on eBay and get almost (or all) of your money back. Or sell it here in the classifieds section.

Of course, you'll be stuck with the antenna, but that wouldn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
I just looked at Hal's page where the Honda CB is listed and the Antenna is listed. There are also listing for non-Honda CBs and accessories. If I were to purchase the Honda unit and the Honda antenna, is there anything else to buy such as an aux power junction box? Are real speakers need -- I just about always use my helment headsets and rarely the external speakers. Are clear instructions provided or are they in the GL1800 shop manual? Does the CB radio work on par (performance wise) with the AM/FM radio?

prs

1 - 20 of 33 Posts