GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the reviews for the Honda stock CB and the high price of same. Has anyone found a unit that connects up to the 'wing other than Honda, like an after market?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have not yet found one that will hook up to the factory plug-ins and work with the handlebar controls except for the factory unit.That is why they can get that much for them. Also the CB antenna is about $100 itself.:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
A couple of guys tried to jerry rig a contraption together...but fizzles out
after the thread gets hot and heavy... Just buy a cb and be a victim
to Mother Honda....:shock:

S

·
0 Posts
CB radios

I have researched this twice, as recently as this week, and have not found any way to incorporate a hand held unit into the factory controls on an 1800 Goldwing. Some of the Kennedy stuff MIGHT work if you bought about $1,000 worth and had a NASA engineer figure out how to put it together.

The closest I got to it was to buy a hand held cb with the bike mounting kit (wiring, ptt switch, mount, handheld cb) that would work with a headset and cord set-up for the bike's audio system. I think J&M, Sierra, and AirRider each make kits that will work but you have to be careful about headset/mic/cord compatability. This would allow you to use the same headset/mike/cord setup for the handheld cb and the bike's audio system. The bike end of the cord would simply plug into the bike to use the bike's audio system, as usual, or plug into the handlebar mounted handheld cb to use the cb. This seems like a fairly neat setup to have a cb on the bike but the cost will be close to $400+/- and the cb performance probably won't be any better than the factory cb. Also, I think a used Goldwing with factory cb will probably recoup at least 60-70% of the cb cost at time of resale.

I guess I'll wait for a Hal Sale and bite the bullet! YMMV!

Ride safe.

Steve McTeer
NRV, Va.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Hal has the most reasonable price for the cb. i bought mine from him along with the cb antenna. cost about 700 us but up here in canada it was about 1600 dollars so it was steal for me

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went to my local honda dealer and ask him to match the online price . he did so without hesitation .

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
After FCC testing, and all costs, I had determined that for the limited GoldWing market I could not compete in pricing against the stock unit for a full plug-n-play unit. I did manage to start two patents on the design though. There is still a low level hobby interest left by some to work on Ham and FRS rig attachments, low level enough that my CBi has collected dust for the past year though ... :cry:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Has anyone found a unit that connects up to the 'wing other than Honda, like an after market?
It's somewhat funny that everyone who has ever looked up the price on a Hondaline CB asks this question about, oh, ten seconds later. I know I certainly did!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just ordered one last night. With the antenna is was around $702. I ordered it from http://www.schroaders.com/ If it wasn't for the shipping it would have been less than Wingstuff who has the same thing for around $2 more.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I remember my CB from my younger years...

before cell phones and we had a lot of fun on them just hangin out and chatting with all the kids from the neighborhood and stuff. But the real question to me is do you use this on you bike?

A GPS or a cell phone can put you in touch in case of emergency so the only other thing that this would/could be used for is bike-to-bike or driver-to-rider communication. Right? Do you really talk that much?:shrug:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
before cell phones and we had a lot of fun on them just hangin out and chatting with all the kids from the neighborhood and stuff. But the real question to me is do you use this on you bike?

A GPS or a cell phone can put you in touch in case of emergency so the only other thing that this would/could be used for is bike-to-bike or driver-to-rider communication. Right? Do you really talk that much?:shrug:
If you do group riding, it can be a great asset or a real pain if your riding with those that just "have" to be saying something. I use mine for group riding and it makes it much easier for coordinating and keeping everyone on the same page. For us that makes it worth it, also when traveling I will turn it on if I want to check on traffic back ups or other issues. Some hate them, some love them, and me, I just use it as tool to make the ride better. YMMV

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If you do group riding, it can be a great asset or a real pain if your riding with those that just "have" to be saying something. I use mine for group riding and it makes it much easier for coordinating and keeping everyone on the same page. For us that makes it worth it, also when traveling I will turn it on if I want to check on traffic back ups or other issues. Some hate them, some love them, and me, I just use it as tool to make the ride better. YMMV
When my wife and I are on separate bikes I find the CB's to be priceless. Its an easier way to let her know (or her to let me know) when its time for fuel, food, or a detour without having to work out some complicated hand signal game. Its also nice to chat with her on occasion. I also found the CB valuable on the few rides I've taken with friends.

It's ironic that I avoid cell phone use, will never be found in a chat session on a computer, and cringe when I notice some stranger that wants to come over and talk to me at a gas station or a restaurant. Yet I don't think I'll ever own a motorcycle again that doesn't have some sort of communication device. The definitely enhance my ride.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I can think of at least two occasions where the benefit of a CB radio while riding with a group was worth every penny: one occasion I was trailing far enough behind the group that I didn't know which fork they had taken at an upcoming intersection of roads. I "guessed" which fork I thought was the most correct choice, but through the CB found I was woefully mistaken. Had I gone down that road it would have taken me quite a while to figure out I was going the wrong way without the benefit of radio contact. The other occasion, we were having a great time negotiating some mountain twisties (where on some curves you could not see what was around the corner), when I heard the voice of a rider up ahead shout out: "Rocks; right side!". I immediately slowed and moved toward the center of the road, just in time to see an orange-crate-sized BOULDER appear as I rounded the next curve!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts