GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Goldwing Trike w/Roadsmith Kit
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to the site, I'm only getting about 200 yards of range with my cb, I recently added a flag on the base of my antenna mount, is that the problem or is it something else, looking for reasons. thank you.

·
Administrator
5,955 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum. There's some pretty sharp guys here but they're going to need more info, such as the year of your bike and maybe something about your antenna. Back in the day, '60's, we used to have to match the antenna to the radio. Don't know if that's still a thing anymore, but more info would probably help....

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you can find a real radio shop or truck stop they'll likely have a meter, but an adapter is necessary to jumper a PL259 connector to the Honda CB, I forget what # that one is. Unless you are dependent on the CB I wouldn't bother. Just clean the paint from the ground strap(at mount inside trunk) and make sure its tight

·
Registered
65 Posts
Loading...ideal lenght of the CB antenna is 102". If you don't use a full lenght antenna...then the lenght of the the load coil + antenna mast lenght = 102". SWR is calculated/adjusted by best tx/rx average of the standing wave, and antenna mast is adjusted up/down to best meet 102" measurement. Fine tuning an antenna and radio are necessary for peak efficiency and radio component life. But for field use on a M/C not that important. You can only do so much with about 3watts. B

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Generally 200 yards is enough for group riding, but are you aware that running the squelch as low as possible without picking up a lot of unwanted noise increases your receiving range?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My first thought was - Did you have any issues with the CB range before adding the flag? The Wing CB range isn't that efficient because there is no "ground plane" for the tx signal and the unit is not a high wattage CB.

I have had my CB since I purchased my 2004 Wing and I always calculated my tx signal was approx a mile or two depending on the road I was riding on.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
281 Posts
What is SWR?
You always want a transmitter to "electrically match" the antenna it's using to emit the radio waves out into space. Kind of like water traveling down a water hose. If the opening at the end gets too small then the water pushes back too much and the flow stops at the "supply end" of the hose. SWR is the measurement of voltage along the transmission line. Basically, the Voltage will be lower and not as affective if it's being reflected back upon itself due to a bad antenna or cable impedance match.
All things being normal, a Citizen Band radio operating at it's 27Mhz frequency should transmit for more than a mile, depending on output power, antenna height and ground terrain. One question to answer is...When you say you're "only getting about 200 yards of range with my CB," is that transmit AND receive or just one?
A truck stop CB "mechanic" is probably your best bet for help here. Not much CB experienced techs outside of the trucking world.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Huge library of anything related to antenna tuning can be found at this manufacturer's web pages...

To answer your question - if the flag -or- the mount has any metal parts or pieces, then you may well have knocked out the tune for your antenna.

I'll also state this; because the connections for the antennas that Honda uses is NOT a standard connector found on 99% of other CB's, it may be a challenge to find that truck stop that can tune that antenna for you.

Luck to you on your search.

Reactions: SeaSteve

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I ride a 2018 DCT Tour and I have the J&M shorty antenna that comes SWR tuned for the bike. While my range is not extremely long, it is pretty dependable up to one full mile before it starts breaking up. That's both transmit and receive.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
364 Posts
Loading...ideal lenght of the CB antenna is 102". If you don't use a full lenght antenna...then the lenght of the the load coil + antenna mast lenght = 102". SWR is calculated/adjusted by best tx/rx average of the standing wave, and antenna mast is adjusted up/down to best meet 102" measurement. Fine tuning an antenna and radio are necessary for peak efficiency and radio component life. But for field use on a M/C not that important. You can only do so much with about 3watts. B
Please note this is not correct: "If you don't use a full lenght antenna...then the lenght of the the load coil + antenna mast lenght = 102".

Loading coils (and capacitors) are built into antennas to allow the radiating portion of the antenna to be shortened. But this is done by adding a complex "reactance" portion to the antenna, not just adding length. You are working with an AC signal at a specific frequency.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts