GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 DCT and purchase the CB when I bought the Bike. When I am riding with others, I can barely hear their transmissions. CB volume is set on Max but reception is really faint. My previous Bike was a Harley and never had this issue. Others say that my transmission on CB is garbled. I have the Mic setting turned to max. When I bought the bike in March 2019, the dealer uploaded latest SW upgrade. I see comments that this Upgrade may have negatively effected the CB Performance and I should go back to the previous version. If that is true how do I get the previous version. Very infuriating. Just went on a 700 plus mile ride with 12 others, all Harleys, and could hear very few of the transmissions not could they understand me.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT and purchase the CB when I bought the Bike. When I am riding with others, I can barely hear their transmissions. CB volume is set on Max but reception is really faint. My previous Bike was a Harley and never had this issue. Others say that my transmission on CB is garbled. I have the Mic setting turned to max. When I bought the bike in March 2019, the dealer uploaded latest SW upgrade. I see comments that this Upgrade may have negatively effected the CB Performance and I should go back to the previous version. If that is true how do I get the previous version. Very infuriating. Just went on a 700 plus mile ride with 12 others, all Harleys, and could hear very few of the transmissions not could they understand me.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike
I have similar problems with my CB although I can hear others with my CB volume at Max. Shouldn't have to be that high though as I can hear music and nav with volume under 10.

What headset are you using? I'm using a J&M BT04.

Sounds like we should both be contacting Honda technical support.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Check your SWR of your antenna. The biggest problem is the small ground plane available with a Goldwing, Small amount of Iron in the Goldwing. But I bet it is your SWR of your antenna.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You need an SWR meter and the right adaptors to convert the fittings on the meter to the Goldwing fittings. I have the setup to measure it on my '08. I'm not sure if the connectors on the '18 are the same. I'll have to look and see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have similar problems with my CB although I can hear others with my CB volume at Max. Shouldn't have to be that high though as I can hear music and nav with volume under 10.

What headset are you using? I'm using a J&M BT04.

Sounds like we should both be contacting Honda technical support.

Contacted Customer Service and what a waste of time. I have a case number but who knows what will happen with that. The dealer is zero help. I have been a long time Harley owner and transitioned to a Wing. A Harley friend of mine asked last weekend if had buyers remorse yet. I didn't tell him this but I am beginning to. Harley may have it's issues as you put miles on it but everything worked when you bought it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I commend you for at least making the effort to get a case number, hopefully you will get a helpful reply fairly soon.
Most folks don’t bother getting a case number and the fewer folks that put out the effort the longer it will take to get a decent working resolution for everyone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SWR checking and setting is generally a one-time event until something changes (radio pukes, antenna gets caught in the garage door, etc) Therefore, try using this as a Google s/t: "calgary AB two way radio service" Looks like you've got a fairly high number of shops in the area; any of them will be able to perform the task--might take a half-hour, but IMO, its not worth buying equipment when you can rent a competent, knowledgeable tech and equipment for a very brief moment of time.

Second, if you know of an amateur radio operator ("ham"), it is likely that they, too, will have the equipment and knowledge of how to improve your situation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You may both be having head set problems you may want to call J&M they may be able to help, I have no problem with my Sena and Cb volume but I also never did any updates for fear of problems.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Have you done the updates for the motorcycle and the BT4 headset. If not do them! The motorcycle update the newest one is the only one available so download and install it. The best part of the update besides the 99 waypoints is the sound volume page that lets you adjust all volumes while you are driving. Bring that page up and one at a time adjust the volume for everything. Easy peezie.

Another thing, I suggest you don’t pair your phone to your headset. Pair it to the motorcycle and your headset to the motorcycle as the phone doesn’t need to be paired to both and things might just get better. Ask how I know this might cause this problem.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have you done the updates for the motorcycle and the BT4 headset. If not do them! The motorcycle update the newest one is the only one available so download and install it. The best part of the update besides the 99 waypoints is the sound volume page that lets you adjust all volumes while you are driving. Bring that page up and one at a time adjust the volume for everything. Easy peezie.

Another thing, I suggest you don’t pair your phone to your headset. Pair it to the motorcycle and your headset to the motorcycle as the phone doesn’t need to be paired to both and things might just get better. Ask how I know this might cause this problem.
I have latest updates from both J&M and Honda and I've been in contact with J&M support. Phone is paired to bike not headset.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have latest updates from both J&M and Honda and I've been in contact with J&M support. Phone is paired to bike not headset.

I’d then be checking CB plugs and cable connector. I didn’t check the SWR’s but nobody seems to be having communication problems between bikes so my guess is the antenna tune is at least close.

If however your worried about the SWR’s, J&M sells a tuned antenna for the new Wing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had similar issues about my friends complaining about my CB transmissions sounding like crap. J&M makes a very simple component and it is super easy to install. Apparently the stock CB and antenna have too much gain. This cable reduces the gain. You can get it directly from J&M or from Wingstuff. A link from the J&M website is here:

https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CBMT-GL1833

This will definitely help with your transmission complaints from your friends. I don't have any advice for you on the volume for your headset, except I do recommend you reach out to J&M directly and they can help you with your BT-04. I am using John's BT-03.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought the JM cable you mentioned today. Will let you know if it fixes the transmission garbling.

Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
As an amateur radio operator (ham), I'm virtually positive the culprit is not the SWR of your antenna. In any case, the CB antenna supplied by Honda is sealed and cannot easily be optimized for SWR. I've tuned numerous CB antennas in my chapter on pre-2018 bikes with no discernible difference to reception by other bikes. The owners like everything about their bikes to be "perfect", so I play the game. :)

Unfortunately, I do not yet have a 2018/2019. But, it sounds like you're overmodulating. On my 2003, overmodulation happens when I increase the volume (gain) of the intercom too high. It turns out audio from the intercom is tapped for the CB on pre-2018 bikes. If you can find a way to adjust the modulation of your Bluetooth connection to the bike, try lowering it (ie, decrease the gain), and your CB transmissions will be much clearer.

The above applies to when you transmit. For receiving, the solution is more difficult. The same problem was reported by many riders of the pre-2018 GL1800's. What appears to be happening is that other riders in close proximity are transmitting at too high a power and are "desensing" the front end of the CB receiver on your bike. That's the term we use in ham radio when someone else is transmitting so close to me at a high power that I can't hear anything. You can try backing off from your group - give them some distance. Other than that, you need to decrease the gain of your antenna, which, ironically, can be done by detuning the antenna and increasing its SWR. However, that's difficult to do with a sealed antenna. If you're willing to experiment, adding a splitter to the transmission line between the antenna and CB should decrease the received power (and transmit power) by half. If you follow this route, be sure to terminate the unused terminal on the splitter with a 50 ohm load.

Arthur
VA3BIT

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ordered the cable from Sierra. I also saw that J&M posted a new firmware update at the end of March. I dont think I ever installed that one so I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the J&M BT-03 with the 2018 DTC and had trouble hearing incoming transmissions even with the bike's CB volume set to max. Others can hear me just fine but I can just barely hear them. I found that if I turn the helmet Bluetooth on, and then turn the bike on, as soon as the helmet pairs with the bike I increase the volume on the Bluetooth headset to max. Having done that, I am then able to hear the others much better.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just skimmed the thread and I don't have the cb. However I had problems hearing my gps and not the radio through my BT headset. I think I remember there being a separate volume setting for each in the settings or somewhere. It was the setting that turns the volume up and down with speed if I remember correctly. Each is adjustable independently. I would imagine the cb has the same setting. Just a guess.

EDIT Please disregard just re-read original post, I was thinking volume problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts