GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I down loaded the latest SW update to my J&M BT04 Blue Tooth Headset and installed the J&M CB Radio Modulation Tuning Adapter Cable for the 2018 Honda Gold Wing GL1833 and CB works perfectly. Evidently this cable prevents over modulation of your CB transmission. Honda Tech Services is useless. You have to work out the issues on your own.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Swr

Check your SWR of your antenna. The biggest problem is the small ground plane available with a Goldwing, Small amount of Iron in the Goldwing. But I bet it is your SWR of your antenna.
While SWR is important for transmitting, it is not nearly so important for reception. Your SWR would have to be terrible to be causing the problems described even for transmitting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been dealing with the same problems with low CB volume while receiving. I've never had a complaint by other riders that they couldn't hear me clearly. All my other audio volumes are fine. I run around 8-10 volume level on most functions, (gps, radio, Car Play, etc), but with the CB at full 20 volume, I find it almost impossible to understand other riders transmissions due to the low volume output. I contacted J&M and followed all their instructions for software updates and settings, but the volume is still very low which makes my $1,500.00 CB pretty much useless. I hope someone finds the root cause of this problem, as I suspect it is widespread among most 1833 riders who use a CB. I'm no software expert, but I believe this could be corrected with a software update.

I will look into the J&M adapter & antenna mentioned in threads above and see if that may be helpful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been dealing with the same problems with low CB volume while receiving. I've never had a complaint by other riders that they couldn't hear me clearly. All my other audio volumes are fine. I run around 8-10 volume level on most functions, (gps, radio, Car Play, etc), but with the CB at full 20 volume, I find it almost impossible to understand other riders transmissions due to the low volume output...
I like Gregsgoldwingdct have the same issue with the CB. All volumes are maxed out on the bike and on the J&M BT04's but you can barely hear the CB. Every other audio output is easily discernible at lower volumes.

One question I have is why is the Max Volume for the CB only 20, when the Max Volume for everything else is 30? I believe if I could turn the volume of the CB up to 30 it might be usable... I am wondering if Honda didn't accidentally screw this up...

It sounds to me like the J&M cable fixes transmission problems, but I don't think I have an issue with that...no one complains they can't hear me.

coonsie

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like Gregsgoldwingdct have the same issue with the CB. All volumes are maxed out on the bike and on the J&M BT04's but you can barely hear the CB. Every other audio output is easily discernible at lower volumes.

One question I have is why is the Max Volume for the CB only 20, when the Max Volume for everything else is 30? I believe if I could turn the volume of the CB up to 30 it might be usable... I am wondering if Honda didn't accidentally screw this up...

It sounds to me like the J&M cable fixes transmission problems, but I don't think I have an issue with that...no one complains they can't hear me.

coonsie
This times 100 how bout a little help mother honda/?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Installed the J&M CB Radio Modulation Tuning Adapter Cable and J&M's latest firmware over the weekend. Will see if it solves the garbled transmission problems and the low receive volume over the next few days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been dealing with the same problems with low CB volume while receiving. I've never had a complaint by other riders that they couldn't hear me clearly. All my other audio volumes are fine. I run around 8-10 volume level on most functions, (gps, radio, Car Play, etc), but with the CB at full 20 volume, I find it almost impossible to understand other riders transmissions due to the low volume output. I contacted J&M and followed all their instructions for software updates and settings, but the volume is still very low which makes my $1,500.00 CB pretty much useless. I hope someone finds the root cause of this problem, as I suspect it is widespread among most 1833 riders who use a CB. I'm no software expert, but I believe this could be corrected with a software update.

I will look into the J&M adapter & antenna mentioned in threads above and see if that may be helpful.

I had the same issue with the J&M BT-04, I installed the J&M adapter (another $100 wasted) and it didn't fix it. Also had issue with others not understanding me on the CB, said I sounded like I was in a barrel. I just switched to the new Sena 50S and it instantly fixed my CB volume issue in receive. About to road test it to see if voice issue resolved as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2020 DCT tour has no issue with the CB, I am using a corded headset thru the JM blu hub corded conversion module. Did check my SWR and it was great, right at 1.5

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I have the factory CB on my bike with the J&M harness and a J&M shorty antenna. This setup seems to work very well. As far loudness you need properly adjusted speakers as near to your ears as you can stand as well as a properly fitted helmet. If the speakers and the helmet fit then you can adjust your volume. If the speakers are not centered and close to your ear channel then you will get poor quality and weak sound.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Sunkist is correct. SWR has no impact on reception.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts