GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know what is causing the problem, just not sure what the right fix is.

I installed a GL2WAY CB with the GPS to MIC option. I got everything installed, including bluetooth pairing with my Nuvi 760 and my cell phone. Tuned the SWR on the CB antenna, swr on channel 40 is 1.8, 1 is 1.3, 19 was 1.6, life is good. Tested it all out, can hear the CB, GPS, AM/FM, weather band, take/make phone calls, and listen to music on my phone. It worked great. One caveat. I had the power to the GPS via a car charger plugged into the right fairing power outlet. This was a temp solution until the hardwire cable arrived. I also had a unshielded audio out running from the GPS to the GPS to MIC cable.

So the hardwire cable arrived. I spliced it into the right fairing power outlet and hooked it into the GPS. Now the problem. The CB is in Rx (receiving mode) all the time. I thought it must be interference from using an unshielded audio cable. Went to Radio Shack, replaced it with a shielded cable. No luck. Then reverted back to using the GPS cable to the car charger that plugs into the right fairing power outlet. Everything works fine again.

So my question is, what do I need to do to power my GPS to the hardwired cable and get ride of the interference that is making the CB go into Rx mode?

Here is the GPS hardwire power cable I am using.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwi...20/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1309138199&sr=8-12

Thanks in advance!
Paul

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
by receive mode, I guess you mean you can hear static?? Does it do it with the bike running or not running? Can you turn the squelch up high enough to make it "go quiet"? What happens when you hit the transmit key?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sounds like SQUELCH is set to low.Run it up to about 12 and see. Can you transmit OK? Pete should be here soon to chime in.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
You will always see RX when the GPS/FRS or the CB are active on the GL2WAY

The power cable you are using is causing noise on the audio line hence the GL2WAY thinks its audio and is routing it the cigarette lighter cord is not causing this noise.

You just need to find out why the power unit is noisy you could try a noise filter on the 12v input feed you will most likely find the Garmin Cigarette cord has one internally The unit from Amazon is the 1A version I believe it does not have a filter look for the 1.5A version I believe it does but you will need to test

http://www.amazon.com/GA-NHWC2-Hardwire-Magellan-Mini-USB-connector/dp/B004GLJVU4/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309148056&sr=1-16

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by receive mode, I guess you mean you can hear static?? Does it do it with the bike running or not running? Can you turn the squelch up high enough to make it "go quiet"? What happens when you hit the transmit key?
No static, just see the Rx on the display. Does not matter if running or not. Turning up squelch has not impact. Hitting PTT displays Tx, but don't have another CB hooked up at the moment to see if anyone can here me. When I tested Tx last week it worked fine, but again with the car charger cable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pete,
Can I use one of the magnet filters similar to what I had to use on my GL2WAY setup to remove the antenna interference? Is that what you meant when you said "you could try a noise filter on the 12v input feed"? I have a few that were put on phone lines from back in the phone modem days to connect a computer to the internet. Would they work? Or would I have to buy the Garmin cable to pointed me to?
Paul

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
FRS vs CB squelch

No static, just see the Rx on the display. Does not matter if running or not. Turning up squelch has not impact. Hitting PTT displays Tx, but don't have another CB hooked up at the moment to see if anyone can here me. When I tested Tx last week it worked fine, but again with the car charger cable.
Be aware you have separate squelch and volume settings for the FRS and the CB system, even if you don't have a FRS radio installed.

The GPS audio comes in on the same circuit as the FRS audio input. If you have a noisy circuit on the FRS due to power lead, cable routing, unshielded cable, whatever, the 2way will see it as an incoming signal and show RX on the screen and feed whatever it is to you.

SO, how to check what you've got selected. With the CB audio on the bike display selected to either speakers or headset (whatever you are using at the time), press down on the transmit lever three times quickly (tap-tap-tap). As an alternate on the newer GL2Ways you can go quickly up one and down one on the squelch. You will then hear either one or two beeps. One beep means you now have the CB audio selected, two means you have the FRS selected.

Quick note - the system is set up so the CB channel change works on the CB whether you have FRS or CB selected. Incoming transmissions are heard from both sources. Selecting the FRS or CB function determines which unit you are controlling the squelch and volume with, and which one you are transmitting on.

Okay, so now that you have CB or FRS selected, use the handlebar controls to select the volume and squelch settings you want to use. Try setting at 15 to start with. Now switch to the other radio, listen for the beeps that indicates you have switched. Now use the handlebars switches to set the volume and squelch on that radio to 15 to start with. We're starting deliberately high for troubleshooting purposes.

Now see if you still have a RX indicator on the dash. If the indicator is not showing, you have succesfully set the squelch high enough to overide the noisy incoming signal. If you still have a RX showing, try unplugging the audio out cable from your GPS. If it now clears, you've got a cable issue.

Now you can play with the settings for your own comfort levels. I have my FRS on squelch 6ish, and the CB on about 8-9 level. Still get the occasional noise, but works for me unless I'm in a noisy area. Just remember to select the right radio before attempting to adjust the volume or squelch. I was getting blasted yesterday by my riding partner, even though I kept turning the volume down. Then I realized he was on CB, and I was on FRS (we have both radios installed). I switched to the proper radio and adjusted as necessary.

Hope this helps you and anyone else that has run into this problem. EDIT: Changed the font size on earlier posting error based on info Pete provided down below. Left in the message to help clear up any confusion someone else may have.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have it on CB

SSNCOB,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. But I had already had a similar conversation with Pete when I was installing my GL2WAY. It is on CB, I can adjust the squelch. Sitting in my garage I can go as low as 2, on the open road it is usually around 6 or 7. When I originally setup the CB I also verified I could Tx by hooking up an old CB to my truck. I am 99% sure the issue is related to the interference from the Garmin hardwired power cable, which appears to be unshielded. My question now is is there anything I can do to fix that, short of replacing the one I have installed with the one Pete pointed me to in his reply above...
Paul

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
If you have the noise issue with the power cable unplugged and running on batttery, then you have in issue with the GPS (not likely) or the audio out cable.

If the noise is only when using the power cable, then you got one of those crappy unfiltered, unshielded nice and cheap to buy cables (no offense, I like cheap prices, just not cheap products)

Yep, you'll need to buy the better cable, or the one from the manufacturer. I run a Garmin Nuvi 765T, my partner has a Zumo 660. We use the mfr's cable, no noise issues. My cable goes down under the handlebar cable guide, under the left shelter into an extra power outlet I installed under the pocket cubby to make the installation look nice and limit the theft issue (no easy to unplug cable) My garmin is in an Aqua-Box.

The cable from the mfr is expensive (comparitively), they can be found on ebay and amazon, just go for the better ones. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

EDIT - you can try using a ferrite filter around the power cable and the audio out cable, might help. Wrap the cable through the filter twice (3 times if you have room). Worth a shot if you have some available to try.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
There is no separate squelch for the FRS as it is not required adjusting it in second radio mode will not effect either GPS or FRS the volume is all you have separate.

As for the interference you have answered your own question

With the factory cigarette lighter cord the unit works fine but when you connect the aftermarket GPS hardwire the GL2WAY shows RX you have interference coming in on the power and going out on the audio line caused by the aftermarket unit.

You can try a Noise Filter (not a ferrite) EC sells them or try the uprated GPS kit (I posted a link) that supposedly has one built in.

Or you can use the cigarette cord and hid it under the left pocket

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My guess is that your power supply is a switching type regulator. They can be very noisey (RF). Turn on your AM radio and you should hear some disturbance coming from the same power supply when turned ON.

If you disconnect the antenna and the noise goes away, then it is indeed RF noise that is overcoming your CB reciever and probably no shieled cable or ferites will make much difference. It won't be on the audio lines.

I've seen noise like this before on switching power supplies.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
It seems with some GPS units they like to pass noise through to the audio section, unplug the cable from the GPS to the GL2WAY if the RX drops its on the audio line via the power supply/GPS

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess is that your power supply is a switching type regulator. They can be very noisey (RF). Turn on your AM radio and you should hear some disturbance coming from the same power supply when turned ON.

If you disconnect the antenna and the noise goes away, then it is indeed RF noise that is overcoming your CB reciever and probably no shieled cable or ferites will make much difference. It won't be on the audio lines.

I've seen noise like this before on switching power supplies.
Yes, AM has tons of static. Will do the antenna test tonight. I am pretty convinced it is the Garmin power supply. Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, AM has tons of static. Will do the antenna test tonight. I am pretty convinced it is the Garmin power supply. Thanks!
Pete,
I was using an el-cheapo audio cable and thought it was the problem. Bought a shielded audio cable and it made no difference. I then removed the hardwired power cable and used the car charger cable and the shielded audio cable at which point the Rx was gone.
Paul

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Thanks for the correction

There is no separate squelch for the FRS as it is not required adjusting it in second radio mode will not effect either GPS or FRS the volume is all you have separate.
You can try a Noise Filter (not a ferrite) EC sells them or try the uprated GPS kit (I posted a link) that supposedly has one built in.
Pete, thanks for the correction, I have revised my earlier posting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts