GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, that's right. The spring that returns the CB PTT switch to its normal position broke. From what I can tell, Honda sells the entire switch assembly as a unit. Anybody have any ideas on a replacement spring? Anybody have a trashed switch assembly laying around?

Thanks,

I decided to check about warranty with the local dealer. I figured that the worst they could do would be to say "No" since I'm on extended warranty and the switch is part of the audio system. However, it turns out that Honda considers the switch assembly to be part of the bike itself, so, they ordered the switch, replaced it, and she's as good as new again. :clap2:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hello SOME (very few) ACE hardware have a good spring box & I have gotten many springs there maybe have to cut one down??chuck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ace Hardware was my first thought, and they do have a good selection of springs. However, most common springs either expand or compress; the PTT spring is about 6 turns just a little larger in diameter than the spring in a ball point pen, with each end coming off at about a 60 degree angle. The springing action is actually a coiling/uncoiling, rather than a stretching or compressing. I did get one to try to modify, though. It was only a 45 cent investment! :lol:

The CB/radio shop is a good idea. I'll try that.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, editing a post doesn't move it to the top... :)

See my edited post above. Honda and the dealer fixed me up.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My dealer fixed mine under warranty. A temporary fix is a rubberband looped around the housing and under the switch to pull it up. It worked for a three day trip until it was repaired correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts