GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the blue last week, I experienced the dreaded “CB squeal” when keying the transmit switch. The way I experienced this squeal, it did not transmit to anyone else's radio, just squealed through the bike speakers and the helmet speakers, even when the audio unit was switched to just the helmet speakers (headset). Even with the audio unit switched “off”. I tried listening with another CB radio and the GL1800 CB was not transmitting at all, not even a "click".

After trying all the solutions I could find on this board, I called up Ping Jockey and asked him to come over and shed some of his considerable genius on me to get this problem fixed. Mrs. DaveFromDenver and I are going up to South Dakota next month with friends of ours who have a 2007 Harley Electra Glide with a H-D factory CB. How would it look for us not to be able to chat with them?

I have the Bike MP3 Player v.3 in the trunk, and Garmin Zumo 550 with XM Radio hooked into the AUX cord. We had recently neatened up the wires from the Zumo and I thought maybe we nicked one or re-routed the audio wires too near something that was causing RF interference.

I had the top shelter off by the time Larry came over, and just as he was pulling into my driveway (on the cool white Moto Guzzi Norge he is thinking about selling) I found the problem.

I had started unplugging and re-plugging all the audio system connectors. I got to the antenna lead at the AM/FM/CB splitter I got from Bike MP3 when I bought one of the first GL2WAY CB units from Pete. After unplugging and re-plugging the AM/FM antenna lead to the splitter, I tried the CB and, voila, no squeal! It was a relief to know it was just that and nothing more serious. I think this was a fix that is related to disconnecting the battery but I had tried that, even polished up the battery posts and connectors and it hadn’t worked. The splitter jack and antenna lead plug were not visibly in need of any cleaning.

While the top shelter was off, I added some more aluminum foil to the top of the cruise control module as the first effort did not stop the dit dah dit dit dit dah noise through the helmet speakers. And, Larry showed me how to adjust the cruise control lag I had been experiencing.

Ping Jockey helped me immensely getting the top shelter all re-connected and fastened back on the bike properly. I am always amazed how easily I can take it off and how hard it is for me to remember how it goes back on. This is where his many years with Wings pays off and I sure appreciate it.

Hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

David

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Nice writeup and info regarding another thing to look for when you get the squeal. Yep - them bubbleheads come in handy sometimes. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, David. All I did was ride over to your house, drink your great coffee, stand around and watch you work, then ride back home. Oh yes, and had some pleasant conversation in the interim. Didn't even have to get my tools out of the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts