GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what causes a CB to squeal when trying to transmit? Is happening with both rider & co-rider headsets from both PTT buttons.

2007 GL1800 with Hondaline CB & nearly new J&M headsets

Checked all lower & upper cord connections, checked mic connections, used dielectric grease on connections. Can hear music, intercom & can receive CB.

When we try to transmit, we get a loud squeal in headset and so does my riding friends.

I am troubleshooting with Sierra Electronics now, but have't found the culprit yet.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Anyone know what causes a CB to squeal when trying to transmit? Is happening with both rider & co-rider headsets from both PTT buttons.

Checked all lower & upper cord connections, checked mic connections, used dielectric grease on connections. Can hear music, intercom & can receive CB.

When we try to transmit, we get a loud squeal in headset and so does my riding friends.

I am troubleshooting with Sierra Electronics now, but have't found the culprit yet.

To be honest don't cloud the water by taking advice on here keep working through the issue logically with Sierra if they can't help find the issue then there are not many who will.

That said I will ask one of my favorite questions and that is do you have armrests on your bike if so which ones? Also is it an OEM antenna or a split system (single antenna)?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest don't cloud the water by taking advice on here keep working through the issue logically with Sierra if they can't help find the issue then there are not many who will.

That said I will ask one of my favorite questions and that is do you have armrests on your bike if so which ones? Also is it an OEM antenna or a split system (single antenna)?
Yes, Kury armrests and OEM duel antenna's.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
So I am going with you have the ones that look like this

And that you had them before you got the CB

And that when you fitted the CB antenna you either

Used the same grounding strap that was already in place that came with the armrests as it looked just like the one that came with the CB antenna

Or

The bolts that came with the new antenna were not long enough to work so you had to get more

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I am going with you have the ones that look like this , Yes

And that you had them before you got the
CB was added when bike was new, armrests added about 2 years ago.

And that when you fitted the CB antenna you either

Used the same grounding strap that was already in place that came with the armrests as it looked just like the one that came with the CB antenna

Or

The bolts that came with the new antenna were not long enough to work so you had to get more
Honda dealer installed armrests 2 years ago.

Purchased new N90 Nolans w/ J&M elites at Florida rally this year.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Honda dealer installed armrests 2 years ago.

Purchased new N90 Nolans w/ J&M elites at Florida rally this year.
Wow would of bet on the grounding bar have you checked it to see if its broken at the bolt in the floor of the trunk? Make sure it shows bare metal at each bolt

(Stole this picture from another users post ROCKY)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow would of bet on the grounding bar have you checked it to see if its broken at the bolt in the floor of the trunk?

(Stole this picture from another users post ROCKY)
Make sure it shows bare metal at each bolt Everything looks to be in order; ground strap tight, bare metal showing under each bolt & washer.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
And this just started happening after using the CB for some time

Have you checked under the unit for moisture?

Also the 13 pin connection at the front of the bike

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And this just started happening after using the CB for some time Yes

Have you checked under the unit for moisture? No, but I will. It was 100 in Atlanta today and maybe 125 in my garage, can't imagine much moisture anywhere on bike. Haven't rode the bike for several days.

Also the 13 pin connection at the front of the bike
Where is that located?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Watch this video it will show all the connectors ignore the ones in the trunk you don't have those

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You

Thanks Pete, very much appreciate your help. Hopefully I will find the issue and get it corrected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like to mention something Pete wrote in another post for the squealing problem. On the last step of the video above, the installer connected the antenna lead. On another post in this forum, Pete suggested to twist a couple of loops on the male lead of the antenna lead and then plug it together. I think that is what fixed the squeal I developed recently, I am not sure because I did several things at the same time, making sure the ground connection at the FM was tight and used contact cleaner on the antenna lead where they plug in, and slightly speading out the "friction tabs"(?) on the male end for a tighter fit..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pete,
What fixed this for me was the Ferrite Swap doc....

1. Remove the large filter that is on the power cable for the GL2WAY
system, just unclip the 2 clips and it will open and come off.
2. Replace this filter with one of the smaller filters supplied, pass the power
cable through it twice
3. The larger filter you removed is to be fitted to the antenna cable near to
the silver connector taking care to wrap the cable so it passes through
the filter twice as seen in the picture below.
4. If you have a GPS cable or an FRS cable a filter must be fitted to each of
these items also the cable must pass through twice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you have a Mic Splitter installed under the left pocket to make cell phone calls via Bluetooth thru the GPS? If so, make sure the GPS is turned ON, or the CB will squeal terribly when you transmit and the other riders will hear the squeal also. This happened to me not too long ago before I noticed that my GPS had gotten accidently turned OFF. Turned it back to ON and problem went away. Not sure why that it causes the squeal, but it does on mine. Just a Thought!

·
Registered
18 Posts

I have exactly the same issue, with a different configuration.- GL2Way (installed Labor Day) with GPS cable. New Edsets 3G headset. No intercom. 2010 Audio Comfort. Everything works but the squeal on transmit is horrible. :eek:4: SWR is about 1.1 Antenna loop in the trunk with large filter around both wires. Smaller filter installed near power connection. Antenna ground is tight. Armrests are Hondaline small armest that sit on top of the rear speakers.

My antenna cable runs along the top front of of the trunk; the wires are not near the CB connections. How do I solve this? Thank you!

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I have exactly the same issue, with a different configuration.- GL2Way (installed Labor Day) with GPS cable. New Edsets 3G headset. No intercom. 2010 Audio Comfort. Everything works but the squeal on transmit is horrible. :eek:4: SWR is about 1.1 Antenna loop in the trunk with large filter around both wires. Smaller filter installed near power connection. Antenna ground is tight. Armrests are Hondaline small armest that sit on top of the rear speakers.

My antenna cable runs along the top front of of the trunk; the wires are not near the CB connections. How do I solve this? Thank you!
Did you fit the filter on the antenna cable and does your unit have the filter on the larger link cable between the CB and GL2WAY units?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you fit the filter on the antenna cable and does your unit have the filter on the larger link cable between the CB and GL2WAY units?
Pete,
1) Yes I did fit the filter on the antenna cable (ran it through twice) 2)There is a filter in one of the two cables connecting the CB unit to the GK2Way unit. The cables look to be the same size, but with two smaller wires in between the connector and the filter. Thanks

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pete,
1) Yes I did fit the filter on the antenna cable (ran it through twice) 2)There is a filter in one of the two cables connecting the CB unit to the GK2Way unit. The cables look to be the same size, but with two smaller wires in between the connector and the filter. Thanks
Take the filter from the passenger headset and fit to the fatter of the 2 cables linking the modules

Also make sure you have the ground connected to the FM antenna not the CB antenna if you are using dual antennas and if a splitter then do not use it.

Also in case of a splitter place the large filter on the lead from the CB to the splitter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Take the filter from the passenger headset and fit to the fatter of the 2 cables linking the modules

Also make sure you have the ground connected to the FM antenna not the CB antenna if you are using dual antennas and if a splitter then do not use it.

Also in case of a splitter place the large filter on the lead from the CB to the splitter
Thanks for the suggestion - moving the filter did not solve the squeal issue. Should I move it back to the passenger headset wire? I am using dual antennas. I confirmed the ground is connected to the FM antenna. No splitter.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion - moving the filter did not solve the squeal issue. Should I move it back to the passenger headset wire? I am using dual antennas. I confirmed the ground is connected to the FM antenna. No splitter.
Does it squeal...

On your end?

On the receiving end?

At the start of TX or the end?

Both ends?

If you unplug your headset does it go away?

Are you on headsets or speakers?

Do you have the engine running?

Please explain your statement "Antenna loop in the trunk with large filter around both wires"

Which antenna do you have are your armrests under the antenna bolts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts