GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble with my aftermarket (non-OEM) CB working properly. Last ride someone I was riding with said he though he heard the CB coming out of the speakers. I wear Etymetic earbuds and never heard it. Today when putting the bike in the garage I heard it. Sounded like CB static cutting in and out going through the speakers; but the CB was turned off. I'm wondering if this can help diagnose my CB problem.

Any ideas? This CB is maddening.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
GL2Way? I've heard it. I hope you find a fix; let us all know if you do. Mitigation: turn the CB on, select a seldom used channel, set the squelch all the way up, and then turn the CB off. You can fiddle with the volume down, too, but that doesn't seem to matter. You'll still hard a little garbage now and then, but not as often.

·
Registered
519 Posts
On a trip to Nashville this year we traveled with 3 other Wings. One Wings oem cb didn't work all day so when we stopped for the day I found that he had a constant rx on the display. The fellow Winger said the it had been like that for months and the Honda shop couldn't figure out a fix. Turn the cb off, wait a minute, turn it back on and still no worky. So I googled on this sight and found a possible answer- I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes, reconnected the battery and voila-she worked just fine for the next week and I assume it's still working.

Just might be worth a try to chase off the gremlins.>:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a Harmon-Kardon-Harley Davidson-Midland. Everyone calls them the GL 2 way. I didn't realize this was a common problem.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

The used stock units are only a little cheaper than the new ones. I am loathe to buy used electronics unless at steep discount. I'm trying to work the kinks out of my portable CB with Bluetooth and just use it. I can't see repair and replacement costs in the $800 range on a bike I just paid $9,000 for. I'm guessing there will be a change to headset based bluetooth/mesh within the next 3-5 years anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts