GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has an ´08 with US spec and of course he ordered it with the CB installed. When he got it home to Sweden and started to run around and trying to talked to other riders with CB the problem started. As long as he stands still with or without the engine running he is clear as a bell both sending and reciving, but as soon as he starts to move in more than 10KPH he goes garbled both ways. He can´t hear us sending other than our activating/deactivating senderbutton and we can´t hear him other than as back noise. It doesn´t help to turn squelsh to full. Has anybody experienced this or heard about and maybe can give a suggestion to solving the problem.

Jocke

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Sound like a loose ground somewhere. Check all the grounds to the frame.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have a friend who has an ´08 with US spec and of course he ordered it with the CB installed. When he got it home to Sweden and started to run around and trying to talked to other riders with CB the problem started. As long as he stands still with or without the engine running he is clear as a bell both sending and reciving, but as soon as he starts to move in more than 10KPH he goes garbled both ways. He can´t hear us sending other than our activating/deactivating senderbutton and we can´t hear him other than as back noise. It doesn´t help to turn squelsh to full. Has anybody experienced this or heard about and maybe can give a suggestion to solving the problem.

Jocke
Jocke,
The squelch only regulates how strong the incoming signal has to be to be allowed/heard. This is to "squelch" the background noise.

As far as the grounds mentioned above, look in the trunk at the metal braces for the CB and AM/FM antennas; these also serve as grounds. These things come painted, I cleaned the paint off the brace at all the screw holes and made sure they were tightened. :cool:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
CB

Agree on the grounding issue. Do not forget to check the antenna grounding, the most likely cause, me thinks.

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
There are 3 filters...one on each side for the 2 radiator fans and one under the seat for the fuel tank. All three need to be installed.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Is this an airbag bike?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had the exact same symtoms on my 08. Like others have mentioned, the antenna ground in the trunk was loose. Tightened the bolt attaching it to the floor of the trunk and the problem was solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts