GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a trip to South Dakota. While on the way home my sat radio started to cut out. I thought it was loosing signal BUT I noticed that the CB TX light was lighting each time the sat radio failed causing the sat radio to stop. I tried to turn the CB off and could not turn it off, change channel, lower volume or change the squelch. I turned the bike off and started again and it was fine for a short time and then repeated the same as listed above.
What would cause the CB to try to TX with out the push to talk being pushed?
The sat radio worked fine after I was able to shut the CB off.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
When you cannot control the audio devices on the bike, you need to look for a stuck button on the console, or a stuck button on a pass push to talk, if you have one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look for a stuck button the first thing, didn't find one. The problem cleared up for a short time after I restarted the bike so I didn't think it would have been a stuck button problem. I am hoping someone else has run into the same problem.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You did not give us the age of the bike or the modifications made to it. If you have installed risers or anything else that exposes the wiring running down the left hanlebar. You need to check this area for wire chafing or shorting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CB trouble

Thanks for the reminder of model amd year. 2002 Goldwing. I haven't installed riser. The problem may be temperature related. The problem showed up after riding for 4-5 hours,

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
How did you try to turn the CB off, using the CB button? also if you remove the fuse for the Audio system and then replace it sometimes will reset the audio system, I do not know why it works but it does. just worth a try...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was trying to turn the CB off with the CB button on the center consule. I did not try to remove the fuse because the problem went away after restarting but returned within 20 minutes

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I was trying to turn the CB off with the CB button on the center consule. I did not try to remove the fuse because the problem went away after restarting but returned within 20 minutes
When you say the problem went away, do you mean you were able to turn the CB On/Off, or the CB stopped sending the TX or RX on the display?
If you did not try to turn the CB off I would pull the fuse and see if the problem stays away after that..

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had a similar problem and found that the passenger's push-to-talk button had failed. As soon as I unplugged it everything was OK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think that is the problem because the trouble comes and goes.

I wonder if it could be a dirty connection but I don't know where to start?

·
Registered
654 Posts
My CB started acting up recently, would give CB error then stop working temporarily, a restart of the bike would fix it for a while, but it came back. Sometimes I couldn't turn the CB off or I thought it was off and would still hear chatter through the bike or headset and couldn't control it. I checked all connections, pulled the fuse, cleaned all the pushbuttons everywhere and none of it fixed the problem for more than a week. I just talked to the vendor that sold me the unit and they are sending me a new CB as I have had it less than a year. May want to consider going whole hog on the diagnosis then talking to the vendor or Honda to see about warranty repairs if nothing works and if its still under warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Now, my CB button on the center console is acting up. I can push the CB button and it will toggle between speaker and headset. But it will only turn-off if I push at the top portion of the button hard and wiggle it. Then it turns-off. I may have to do this 2-3 times to turn-off the CB.

Does the center console CB button pop off or do I have to take off the shelter and get to the center console from the back?

If I recall, the center console is a "box". So, I am guessing that I can take the box-cover off and get to the buttons - correct?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Now, my CB button on the center console is acting up. I can push the CB button and it will toggle between speaker and headset. But it will only turn-off if I push at the top portion of the button hard and wiggle it. Then it turns-off. I may have to do this 2-3 times to turn-off the CB.

Does the center console CB button pop off or do I have to take off the shelter and get to the center console from the back?

If I recall, the center console is a "box". So, I am guessing that I can take the box-cover off and get to the buttons - correct?
Top shelter off to remove the radio I am afraid

Before you do get some compressed air and hold down each button and blow it out that my just work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts