GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda CB and a Sierra antenna (http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-GL1806-SOLO2) on my 2008 GL1800.

When I hit bumps in the road - and not necessarily harsh ones - my CB momentarily goes to transmit mode (in addition to hearing it, I can see the TX on the LCD).

While I haven't yet taken the seat off to check for loose connections, I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for other things to check? How do you diagnose a problem like this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Mine has been doing that for over 114,000 miles now. I've heard of others doing it also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Honda CB and a Sierra antenna (http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-GL1806-SOLO2) on my 2008 GL1800.

When I hit bumps in the road - and not necessarily harsh ones - my CB momentarily goes to transmit mode (in addition to hearing it, I can see the TX on the LCD).

While I haven't yet taken the seat off to check for loose connections, I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for other things to check? How do you diagnose a problem like this?

Thanks in advance!
I have a similar problem with my GL1800 2005 and I am planning to find the cause by following and tapping on every connector involved in the CB circuit.

I beleive that this problem could be caused by a bad connection somewhere around 13P White connector( main CB connection under the shelter), 34P gray connector(audio unit), 34P Black connector (Audio Unit) 3P white connector (under the seat "power") or any bad pin connection within those connectors.

My plan is to work on this problem within the next few weeks, I want to be ready when the riding season is back.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a similar problem with my GL1800 2005 and I am planning to find the cause by following and tapping on every connector involved in the CB circuit.

I beleive that this problem could be caused by a bad connection somewhere around 13P White connector( main CB connection under the shelter), 34P gray connector(audio unit), 34P Black connector (Audio Unit) 3P white connector (under the seat "power") or any bad pin connection within those connectors.

My plan is to work on this problem within the next few weeks, I want to be ready when the riding season is back.

Please let us know if you find it! I, too have this problem.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I posed this same question last year, from what I learned it is normal with ABS.......????

·
Registered
603 Posts
For a while there, I was disappointed that I didn't get the factory CB. Not so sure after searching this site for related questions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For anyone interested, here is my debugging starting point: the CB itself with it's internal and external connections.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I finally had some time to work on my CB problem.

I started by turning the power "on" then started tapping on the CB unit and wiggling around the power connector (3P whitw)as well as the antenna connector, they are the only items available with the power "ON". No luck there.

Next, to access the other 3 connector the shelter has to be removed and by doing so you have to remove the power as you are disconnecting the Audio Unit and it's 2 connectors (34P Black, 34P Gray).

Removing the shelter gives you also access to the 13P white connector which I scrutinized to see if there was any loose connection or loose wire, this connector was my prime suspect..... no luck.

Next I examined the two 34P connectors for any suspicious connection, loose pin, loose wire, everything looks fine no problem there.

As the shelter was on my bench I decided to open the attached Audio Unit to see if I couldn't find anything in there, there was nothing apparent. Then I remembered an old problem I had with an amplifier that would intermittently loose power and at the time I discovered that the cause was a loose ground screw within the main circuit board and I had permanently fixed the problem by tightening all ground screws on that board..

I then tighten the 4 ground screws in the Audio Unit and YES... there was one of the 4 screws that was really loose.(the one at the bottom of the picture between the 2 connectors)

I have great hope that this loose ground connection will fix my problem but will not be able to test in on the road and report back for a while. There is still a lot of snow and ice in my area, the good news is that the weather is slowly getting warmer and the snow banks are going down.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me at the talent and expertise exhibited by members of this board. I don't have a CB on my scoot, but I have gotten such great advice, and help with problems on it, that it is mind boggling. Good job on the troubleshoot of your CB problem and hope the weather up your way breaks soon. Ride safe.

:congrats: Crabby Bob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back from an 890 mile tour to the Joshua Tree National Park, and I had my CB on about half the trip specifically to try to determine more details for the problem.

I found it incredibly difficult to see the display when I heard the noise... hard to watch the screen while driving. And I only caught the indication once in all those miles.... and it showed RX... NOT TX.

That is consistent with the fact that I hear noise when the problem occurs. When you transmit, there is silence from the speakers, not noise.

The problem does not appear to be related to bumps in the road, it seemed to occur for any road conditions. But the problem did seem to be a regular occurrance. While I had no way of getting precise timing, it seemed to happen every three or four minutes.

All very interesting and certainly an amendment to my post when I opened this thread.

·
Registered
83 Posts
and it showed RX... NOT TX.

That is consistent with the fact that I hear noise when the problem occurs. When you transmit, there is silence from the speakers, not noise.

The problem does not appear to be related to bumps in the road, it seemed to occur for any road conditions. But the problem did seem to be a regular occurrance. While I had no way of getting precise timing, it seemed to happen every three or four minutes.
I think that this is consistent with what I found.

A bad ground, in the audio unit, will be vibration dependent and could react in a strange manner.

I have noticed that, in the shelter, there is no vibration suppression mechanism for the audio unit. So any bump on the road will be partially transmit, through the suspention, to the audio unit. :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cb problem fixed !!!

Finally I had the opportunity to test my cb with a friend who also has a Wing, no problem even on rough road..... looking good. :lol:

I could communicate with my friend as far as about 6 km apart.

NB: While I was debugging my problem I also installed a supplementary ground plane, using thin metal sheet at the bottom of the trunk, connected to the antenna ground.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ground plane

Lepapehermann and all ,

I tried the added ground plane using thin sheet metal filling the floor of the trunk , then running a wire from same to the ground lug . Then I tested the SWR reading and it was very little better than
the test before the addition , so I concluded it's not worth it .

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the same with my '08' and it will do it when you hit the horn too. If you turn the squelch up hi it doesn't do it but then you can't talk to anyone ether. The dealer is going for a new radio because if they or me brake the seal on the audio Honda won't replace. The more that call the dealer with this the more Honda will look into why it's not done right at Panisonic when they make it. Or at lest pass it on to them on what is going on.
At lest you would hope they would to save every one $$.
Now if it's out of warranty that's different they would open it up & tighten the screws.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Funny, I went for a ride today and experienced the same thing.
In my case it is slow speed bump/pothole related.
I went into a few holes on purpose and it would happen every time.
A brief burst of tx noise and tx flashing on the display.
However, I noticed that it does not happen (or I could not get it to happen) at higher speeds.
I aimed for a few on purpose to see and nothing.
Interesting thing is mine is an 08 Airbag model, so would I be correct in assuming that the board pictured above is the one on the left fairing in my case?
I'll gladly take a peek in there to see if there are any 'loose screws'!
Also noticed that it would only happen when the front wheel went through the hole, when the back went through, no noise.
Would love to get this resolved..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts