GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a gl2way w/cobra cb and a Sierra Electronics single am/fm/cb antenna on my '06 GL1800. My Rx distance is about 20 feet, and my Tx distance is about 75 feet. My am/fm radio reception is fine.

After the install, I initially received the CB Error message - this was rectified by installing a new battery. I double-checked all my connections, and everything seems fine. I even tried hooking a second ground wire from the frame to the antenna support/grounding strap in the trunk.

I have not hooked a SWR meter to the system (need to find adapters for my meter for use with the GW), but it Sierra Electronics tunes these antennas on a GW before shipping.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
The CB error is either low battery or bad connection to the GL2WAY as you have found

First question how confident are you of the unit you are using to test against your bike installation.

Guessing you have a Cobra handheld

Make sure that you have the splitter the right way around I can't tell you the amount of times I have had to correct myself installing the Sierra splitters (which are actually really good) but I get rushing and just start plugging on autopilot.

Check your batteries or power in/to the CB

Check if you don't have the CB on low power

An obvious question I know but I have to ask you do understand the GL2WAY does not change channels for you when using a handheld so the readout on the screen is not the channel you are on you have to change it on the CB.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First question how confident are you of the unit you are using to test against your bike installation.
Very confident - I'm testing against a Midlands handheld, another GW with a factory cb, and a HD with a factory (cobra I believe) cb. The GW and HD can talk to each other while approx 1.5 miles apart, while the handheld has crappy range (although currently much better range than my GW). All testing was performed using channel 1 on flat ground with no nearby buildings.

Guessing you have a Cobra handheld.
My GW has a GL2WAY/cobra cb combo (software version 1.6) that I purchased from Sierra. I haven't messed with any of the GL2WAY programming - it's setup however Sierra shipped it to me. I have a J&M helmet speaker & mic system - the speakers & mic work fine on the intercom and my cell phone (via bluetooth through my Zumo and the mic splitter from edsets).

Make sure that you have the splitter the right way around I can't tell you the amount of times I have had to correct myself installing the Sierra splitters (which are actually really good) but I get rushing and just start plugging on autopilot.
I'll check the Sierra splitter setup again, but I wouldn't expect good fm reception if I had swapped the cb & fm antenna inputs on the splitter.

Check your batteries or power in/to the CB. Check if you don't have the CB on low power.
I definitely have power to the GL2WAY/cobra cb combo, as the bike sees the cb, and I can change cb channel, volume, & squelch, and when I triple-click the PTT lever I get the audible beep(s) letting me know the GL2WAY has switched between cb and frs/gmrs. I can't find a cb low/high power switch or menu option on the bike - do I have to go into the GL2WAY programming to set this?

An obvious question I know but I have to ask you do understand the GL2WAY does not change channels for you when using a handheld so the readout on the screen is not the channel you are on you have to change it on the CB.
I don't think this applies, since I'm not using a handheld cb on the bike - I'm using the cobra cb that was mated to the GL2WAY by either your company or Sierra. At any rate, I can hear other cb's and they can hear me - as long as we are very, very close in proximity to one another :)

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Very confident - I'm testing against a Midlands handheld, another GW with a factory cb, and a HD with a factory (cobra I believe) cb. The GW and HD can talk to each other while approx 1.5 miles apart, while the handheld has crappy range (although currently much better range than my GW). All testing was performed using channel 1 on flat ground with no nearby buildings.

My GW has a GL2WAY/cobra cb combo (software version 1.6) that I purchased from Sierra. I haven't messed with any of the GL2WAY programming - it's setup however Sierra shipped it to me. I have a J&M helmet speaker & mic system - the speakers & mic work fine on the intercom and my cell phone (via bluetooth through my Zumo and the mic splitter from edsets).

I'll check the Sierra splitter setup again, but I wouldn't expect good fm reception if I had swapped the cb & fm antenna inputs on the splitter.

I definitely have power to the GL2WAY/cobra cb combo, as the bike sees the cb, and I can change cb channel, volume, & squelch, and when I triple-click the PTT lever I get the audible beep(s) letting me know the GL2WAY has switched between cb and frs/gmrs. I can't find a cb low/high power switch or menu option on the bike - do I have to go into the GL2WAY programming to set this?

I don't think this applies, since I'm not using a handheld cb on the bike - I'm using the cobra cb that was mated to the GL2WAY by either your company or Sierra. At any rate, I can hear other cb's and they can hear me - as long as we are very, very close in proximity to one another :)

Thanks!
It sounds like you have a standard GL2WAY not anything mated when you first posted it sounded like you had a GL2WAY with a handheld attached the "mated" CB is a Midland not Cobra

There is no programming in the GL2WAY to mess with in your version of software

FM reception will work on almost anything its not a good gauge of antenna functionality unless in a real marginal area its the CB that will suffer but usually only transmit.

I think your going to be looking for an antenna problem as short receive range is normally an antenna based issue obviously the transmit range will be effected to a greater degree and if you just had a transmit problem at that distance I would say you could have a radio issue but as you have both sounds like you need to start at the splitter I have seen them do exactly this then if not that look at connections another thing to check is the antenna base on your bike we have see many bad or broken bases. I also see you have a 2006 bike with the non standard antenna plug sizes please tell me the details of your antenna/splitter install

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you have a standard GL2WAY not anything mated when you first posted it sounded like you had a GL2WAY with a handheld attached the "mated" CB is a Midland not Cobra

I think your going to be looking for an antenna problem as short receive range is normally an antenna based issue obviously the transmit range will be effected to a greater degree and if you just had a transmit problem at that distance I would say you could have a radio issue but as you have both sounds like you need to start at the splitter I have seen them do exactly this then if not that look at connections another thing to check is the antenna base on your bike we have see many bad or broken bases. I also see you have a 2006 bike with the non standard antenna plug sizes please tell me the details of your antenna/splitter install
Wow - I AM the weakest link!

First, sorry for the confusion regarding the GL2WAY/cb - you of course are correct that it's a Midland not a Cobra.

Second, I pulled the seat and you are again correct - I hooked up the splitter incorrectly. Tfdeputydawg, you are also correct - the antenna wasn't connected to the cb.

Now that the splitter is hooked up correctly, I have a new issue: when I press the PTT lever to transmit, a loud squeal persists until I release the lever. This squeal is heard on my end regardless of whether I have the cb going thru the headset or the bike's speakers, and the test cb's (GW, HD, handheld) also hear it - to the point that they can't make out my voice most of time.

Additional info: I have a J&M Deluxe Passenger Controller installed and Mic Mutes for both the driver and passenger installed. I get the same squeal when transmitting using either the driver or passenger PTT. Taking out the mic mutes and passenger controller made no difference. I don't have passenger armrests, the grounding bar in the trunk is not broken and is all bare metal and the bolts are tight, all of the cb harness connectors are plugged in tight, and no moisture is present in the GL2WAY unit.

I did find the following service bulletin regarding the squeal (the SB references the airbag model, which I don't have) . It looks like they essentially added ferrite cores to the headset cords - can I just get cores from Radio Shack, or do I need to order the Honda part (P/N: 08E95-MCA-100WA)? The passenger controller already has a core installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
If I am not mistaking my GL2Way came with them...

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
There are many types of squeals

First unplug headset try to see if you have squeal then

If so is it at the start or end of the transmission

You should of fitted or had filters in the following locations

CB antenna cable if fitted on the antenna side of the splitter try moving to the CB side or vice versa

Larger of the 2 cables linking the CB and the GL2WAY

Passenger headset connection as near the main loom as possible

Also if using the Sierra splitter then you should not of connected the black ground wire to the FM antenna

If you have a passenger headset control try unplugging that

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are many types of squeals.

Also if using the Sierra splitter then you should not of connected the black ground wire to the FM antenna.
The squeal started as soon as I started transmitting and continued until I quit transmitting.

The GL2WAY ground wire was the issue - I had it connected to the FM antenna. I moved that ground wire to the opposite side of the trunk (where the CB antenna ground strap would attach to the trunk floor if I had installed a standard GW cb antenna) - problem solved!

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Now that is Customer Service, Way to go Pete...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Actually it does not need connecting but its fine
Pedro...How much power does the OEM CB unit and your unit have going to the final transistor :?:.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Pete, you are the MAN!!!!!:bow::bow:

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Pedro...How much power does the OEM CB unit and your unit have going to the final transistor :?:.
Both the OEM and the Midland we use are within the 4W FCC allowable limit the difference is our modulation is far higher than the OEM that geared with our advanced audio processing means you can reach out just that little bit better.

The downside is sometimes we have to battle a little interference to the audio system hence the filters and extra ground.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Both the OEM and the Midland we use are within the 4W FCC allowable limit the difference is our modulation is far higher than the OEM that geared with our advanced audio processing means you can reach out just that little bit better.

The downside is sometimes we have to battle a little interference to the audio system hence the filters and extra ground.
Thank you Pedro...The reason I asked is I sometimes read where people install them and forget to connect the antenna.
When I had CB units it would fry the final without a dummy load. I had assumed the Honda units we about 1/2 watt if they did not burn the final.
Must be they have added something to protect against that on modern radios at 4 watts :shrug:.
I had a AM/SS band cranked up to 12 watts but that was a long time ago.
I think CB as a hobby has been replaced by the internet. Good for bikes though :thumbup:.
I imagine you remember seeing the 2,000 watt units with the Greyhound buss generators :lol::lol:.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts

Last night I got about two miles of TX/RX range over roughly two miles of wooded and hilly terrain. I'd say the "reach" is pretty good!

That was my distance test for the CB. My GMRS cable should be here tomorrow so next will be the GMRS TX/RX test.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts