GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my first CB on a 2012. Its a little less work. Only holes to drill is for ant.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Just installed my first CB on a 2012. Its a little less work. Only holes to drill is for ant.
Congrats

Did you install the Honda one or aftermarket?

How long did it take ... what did you have to remove ... seat, shelter, etc?

I think I am going to try to get away without one but am curious should I break down later and decide to do it.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats

Did you install the Honda one or aftermarket?

How long did it take ... what did you have to remove ... seat, shelter, etc?

I think I am going to try to get away without one but am curious should I break down later and decide to do it.
Honda CB
You have totake off seat and L/H passanger trunk pocket. And you have to unbolt the radio and put the CB under it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Did not check from what i have read does not need to be done.
OK then-good luck
Just so you'll know-my dealer installed CB/Antenna checked over 1:3, which would have damaged the radio if I hadn't checked/corrected it.
Hope yours is a lot better than mine was.
Oh, I also have a meter and jumpers I usually will send to those that want to use them.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
luck not needed..

..unless you start screwing with it,
the OEM antenna will never blow the radio.

questions:
..did you check the SWR with or without a passenger siting on the rear seat?
(the SWR will vary.)
..do you change the antenna depending on whether or not someone is on the back seat?

Dennis

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
luck not needed..

..unless you start screwing with it,
the OEM antenna will never blow the radio.
Unless it has a defect to start with or is not installed correctly.

questions:
..did you check the SWR with or without a passenger siting on the rear seat?
(the SWR will vary.)
..do you change the antenna depending on whether or not someone is on the back seat?
Checked out in the open, away from buildings, trees etc. and checked while kneeling beside the bike. To get the least loss with rider and/or passenger on the bike.
I'm sure you already know the answer to your last question. However nice one!
Dennis
''''''''''''''''''''''''''

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
point is
the OEM antenna is plug and play

you can tweak it if you're inclined toward such activities but saying it could blow the radio is just a bit over the top for my taste

for a CB, the goldwing radio sucks
..if you spend a few hours tweaking it every which way possible,
it still sucks.

Dennis

·
Registered
750 Posts
Swr

Wimp I've got a meter if you would like to borrow it. I checked the one on my new bike and it was way off. (in the red) I ended up cutting almost an inch off of it. Now it hardly moves the needle.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Wimp I've got a meter if you would like to borrow it. I checked the one on my new bike and it was way off. (in the red) I ended up cutting almost an inch off of it. Now it hardly moves the needle.
Thank you for your post! I have yet to install a CB antenna and CB radio that did not need to be tuned! Used to sell and install mobiles and base stations "back in the day". These days it's usually tuning someones Wing CB antenna.
Very few have been in the "red" but, all have needed some trimming to get the best SWR attainable!
There are a few million web sights on this subject and some have statements on them that allude to the fact "there is no such thing as a pretuned antenna". However, Sierra Electronics now claims to have a combo am/fm,CB with a new type of signal splitter that requires no tuning.
I will be checking one of those out next time I or a friend needs an antenna!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will be purchasing a cb for my new bike. Does anybody know of a current aftermarket cb that will work on the 2012? I am asking because I am looking for a slightly better price over the Honda oem. Maybe I'm just being cheap!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I will be purchasing a cb for my new bike. Does anybody know of a current aftermarket cb that will work on the 2012? I am asking because I am looking for a slightly better price over the Honda oem. Maybe I'm just being cheap!
GL2way + the BikeMP3 (avail. through http://www.sierra-mc.com/ )
We are awaiting an announcement the interface needed for the 2012 Wing is available.
The reason I suggested Sierra is for their combo single antenna and
our board sponsor is not selling this unit.
As far as I know, this is the only alternative to the Honda unit that uses the on board controls

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I have installed more CB's on Gold Wings than I can remember, I have never tuned one and never had a problem, not saying that if it was tuned it might work better but I have never had a problem with range of a CB unit. I installed a J&M handlebar unit on my concours and put a firestick antenna on it, a friend had a SWR meter and we checked it and it was right on, no adjustment needed.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I have installed more CB's on Gold Wings than I can remember, I have never tuned one and never had a problem, not saying that if it was tuned it might work better but I have never had a problem with range of a CB unit. I installed a J&M handlebar unit on my concours and put a firestick antenna on it, a friend had a SWR meter and we checked it and it was right on, no adjustment needed.
And while what you say is the norm for being usable read once more what my intention is about checking tuning the SWR
If for no other reason than to make absolutely sure everything is OK, that should be enough reason to run that check.
I have no idea what your or anyone else's idea of "never had a problem with range" is. As some are anal w/maintenance or cleanliness, I am on fine tuning a CB. As a result of that, my range went from slightly more that 1 mile, to 4 to 6 miles, depending on the time of day/night. "Things"(noise) is much less after the sun goes down and one can lower their squelch setting increasing the distance you can hear thereby allowing you to "talk' further. While the squelch setting has no bearing on how far your Tx's reach out, it does affect how far you want to hear from because of squelching out the "noise".
No more to say on this thread, each of us do as we think we should do.
Let's ride

·
Registered
312 Posts
More CB Help Needed!!

I need some help!! I ordered a Honda CB radio and the am-fm-cb combo antenna from Sierra Electronics. The adapter cables for the 2012 were supposed to show up today at Sierra Electronics. Unfortunately, they didn't show up and Sierra Electronics automatically refunded my money. My question is: Does anybody know if there is a way to make my own adapter cable? I'm preparing to head to Arizona for the GWRRA District Convention and having the CB would be a plus. But, I don't want to install two antennas on the bike. Can anybody offer any help or guidance?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought an SWR meter but need to order a set of adapter cables. Any idea who has them available?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I bought the regular solderless motorola plug and socket from Radio Shack.
  1. Remove the seat and disconnect the AM/FM antenna plug from the bike's audio unit,
  2. Cut off the OEM plug and three inches of the cable from the antenna,
  3. Attach the RS motorola plug to the antenna lead,
  4. Attach the RS motorola socket to the three inch piece you cut off of the antenna,
  5. Use the three inch cable with the OEM plug and RS socket as an adapter and connect it to the bike's audio cable,
  6. Connect the three spliter cables as indicated on the splite,
  7. One to the antenna,
  8. One to the CB,
  9. And one to the RS socket on the adapter cable that you connected to the audio unit.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Len - I appreciate the response and instructions. I "think" I understand what to do. The only thing that I'm still unsure about is the part where you make the 3" cable and socket an adapter cable that I think you said plugs into the CB. But, I don't have the antenna in front of my yet, so it may become clear once I see it. I do have the CB in hand. You wouldn't have any pictures of this would you?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts