GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a look today at an 1975 or 76 Honda CB750 Automatic. Pretty cool. No clutch, but a shift lever that lets you shift from low range to high range. Just start it up and drive away. The guy who owns it said to bring my helmet next time and I can take it for a ride... :twisted:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Had a look today at an 1975 or 76 Honda CB750 Automatic. Pretty cool. No clutch, but a shift lever that lets you shift from low range to high range. Just start it up and drive away. The guy who owns it said to bring my helmet next time and I can take it for a ride... :twisted:

Brave soul he is.:lol:

I never rode one but certainly remember their introduction. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
328 Posts

My dad had the 450 Hawkmatic (I think it was called). Before my wife and I got married we would ride together, me on my Kawasaki D400 touring bike and her on the Honda.

Dad took several trips on it and liked it. Very reliable bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I owned a 1976 Honda 750 Hondamatic in 1987. It was a weird green color. The carbs were pretty bad so I gave it away to a guy who knew about motorcycles. I did manange to keep it and drive it all one summer.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

WOW Brian, how cool...

Didyarunrighthome&getit? :doorag:

Well? Didya?
thecruiser

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
They are sweet rides. I've owned a couple 750 auto's and a couple 450 auto's over the years. Very reliable. Just not the peppiest things there ever was. I believe 75 and 76 was the only two years for the 750 auto's. Not 100% sure about that.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
The Honda CB750A was produce for three years, 1976, 1977 and 1978. It was based heavily on the original SOHC CB750K.

I owned one of the 1st CB750A's, a 1976 model, Red, Factory 4-1 exhaust, Not very quick off the line but smooth and easy on tires and chains. Gas mileage was not great, about 40mpg opposed to my '72 CB750K average of 50+mpg.

The '77 and '78 models were equipped with factory 4-2 exhaust.

The Hondamatic may have done better as a full automatic with 4 gears minimum, not the 2-speed manual shift it was. The "Automatic" was very similar in operation to Hondamatic Cars of the same vintage. Auto transmission's for small vehicles were not very advanced back then.

Still it made for a fantastic commuter bike here in Sunny Southern California! I wish I had kept it instead of my 1st wife!! :eek:4:

The DID rims (17" rear wheel) were gorgeous from Honda. Kick starter was stored under the seat (Did not work very well) and there was a parking brake. Pull a knob out under the tank and press down on the rear brake pedal to lock the rear brake.

No tach, just suggested speed ranges on the speedometer. The pseudo tach housing contained three lights "N", "L", and "D" (Neutral, Low, Drive) and a real working Fuel Gauge!

My now 36 year old Son helping Dad get ready for a ride!

Here is a set of pictures I have kept from somewhere of the same model years as my CB750A.

1976 Honda CB750A Hondamatic"

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I took my motorcycle driving test on one in about 78".

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I bought my dad a 78 750 Hondamatic that had fairing, trunk & saddlebags back in 87. Was a sweet ride & he rode with me a few times with it before his health got too bad to ride. I preferred riding it to my Nighthawk in cold weather as it had good wind protection vs none on the Nighthawk. Rode mainly in low range around town & would use high out in the country. Starter switch went bad & it was parked for several years then finally I sold it to get it out of the way. They are cool bikes, takes a bit to get used to not shifting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Friend of mine told me of a custom built twin turbo 750 automatic he saw a month ago. Fellow was building it for a custom bike contest.

Was up and running and getting some final tweaking....would be quite a ride I woukd think....at least in a straight line.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Geez, how lazy can a biker get? An automatic? R U serious??? OK, well maybe I will cut some slack for "Wheels" but the rest of you, nah.

S

·
0 Posts
Honda has tried at least three times to bring a automatic to market however each time the sales are poor.
It's not that there is anything wrong with them it's just that the average guy just can't go without having a jerky transmission to complain about ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Dad owned a 78 from new. Never any problems. When he gave up riding he gave it to me and I used it for years along with my 78 Goldwing. Wish they made an automatic like that now. Would get up and go even double up. Also the parking brake was very handy

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Friend of mine told me of a custom built twin turbo 750 automatic he saw a month ago. Fellow was building it for a custom bike contest.

Was up and running and getting some final tweaking....would be quite a ride I woukd think....at least in a straight line.
Several CB750A Turbos were built for drag racing. Apparently the turbo along with a custom built torque converter made for an excellent combination in 1/4 mile Drag Racing...

Not sure if this one is a turbo, but it did take the money (5K) at Piedmont NC in 2008.

The 750 Hondamatic races are at minutes 1:40; 3:30; and the last race on the video

http://youtu.be/wqtFVRIRLlc

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
The former traffic sergeant for the local police department is a personal friend and a Gold Wing owner. Back in the '70's the police department, he said, had to buy the automatic bike because "these new college educated cops couldn't drive a stick shift."

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
I had the 1980 CM400A

It works the same way as the 750 did .

I bought that bike used in 1986 cheap it was in good shape

I didnt keep it long maybe two years .

·
Registered
479 Posts
We sold a few of the 750A's in the late 70's. One of our customers that bought one of the first Goldwings that came in bought 2 750 automatics for his sons. By 84 when we sold our dealership, all three bikes had over 150,000 on them and were still running good, wouldn't be surprised if they were still riding them today.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Any CB750 SOHC is a GREAT bike but then I am a bit biased. Cliff.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I have a torque converter for the 750A bike... a small aluminum design.

A local guy put a turbo kit on the automatic 750-4 bike. The auto trans did not like the turbo power at all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts