GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In my thread about which accessories to get on a new DCT, people are recommending the CB. I'm hesitant because one of the reasons I ride is that I crave the solitude and usually, though not exclusively, ride alone.

I thought I'd start a new thread about people's experience with the CB. Is it intrusive?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It depends on your needs. I use a CB because that is what the people I ride with use. It is very expensive.
The helmet to helmet communication options work and is way less expensive.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I also typically ride alone. My last two bikes came with the CB and I only turned the CB on just a hand full of times. It was not intrusive when it was turned off. On the new wing it does take up some handlebar space you may want to use for something else.

When I do ride with others they all seem to have Bluetooth bike to bike and that works well enough. I know folks who swear by the CB because they ride with groups and or are in clubs that use the CB and I get them wanting/needing one.

As a solo rider I could not find a use for it. I remember years ago when you could listen in to the truckers for some on road entertainment if nothing else. These days the truckers seem to have moved on to FRS or some other private mode of communication.

If it came with the bike I would not have minded having it but IMHO for a mostly solo rider I certainly would not and did not spend extra to get it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have and use my CB routinely. I belong to a club that rides together once or twice a week plus goes to rallies and some long trips together. The CB is almost indispensable in our world as we communicate, give directions, warn of hazards, and do some ordinary "gabbing".

If I was not riding with this group I probably would not have it.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also typically ride alone. My last two bikes came with the CB and I only turned the CB on just a hand full of times. It was not intrusive when it was turned off. On the new wing it does take up some handlebar space you may want to use for something else.

When I do ride with others they all seem to have Bluetooth bike to bike and that works well enough. I know folks who swear by the CB because they ride with groups and or are in clubs that use the CB and I get them wanting/needing one.

As a solo rider I could not find a use for it. I remember years ago when you could listen in to the truckers for some on road entertainment if nothing else. These days the truckers seem to have moved on to FRS or some other private mode of communication.

If it came with the bike I would not have minded having it but IMHO for a mostly solo rider I certainly would not and did not spend extra to get it.
Thank you for that useful perspective. Do you, or does anyone, know if it's possible to install the CB wiring without the CB radio? I'm thinking of resale value.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have and use my CB routinely. I belong to a club that rides together once or twice a week plus goes to rallies and some long trips together. The CB is almost indispensable in our world as we communicate, give directions, warn of hazards, and do some ordinary "gabbing".

If I was not riding with this group I probably would not have it.

Thanks!

I don't think I would use it, but I'm thinking about having the bike "pre-wired" for it for the next owner.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks!

I don't think I would use it, but I'm thinking about having the bike "pre-wired" for it for the next owner.
If it would have helped the resale value or was used by that many people, Honda would have continued making accommodations for it. Think you could spend that money in much better areas. JMHO

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
We had them on earlier bikes, but no longer purchase/use cb.

CB seems a waste if you don't ride frequently in a group that is already using cb.

If you think you might occasionally ride in a 'cb group', I'm sure you can get along fine with hand signals. (we did)
If you find you'd prefer to have a cb, then add it later.

Really depends on how you ride and how you use the bike.
I do know some that want a cb in there bike/car/pickup/motorhome/truck so the can listen to the social chatter.

We've been using bt for bike to bike for several years and are happy with the way it works.
We have family that ride 'naked' bikes that also run bt bike to bike -- and I understand they keep the 'chat' channel open pretty much continuously.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it would have helped the resale value or was used by that many people, Honda would have continued making accommodations for it. Think you could spend that money in much better areas. JMHO
Thanks! I'm leaning out.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had them on earlier bikes, but no longer purchase/use cb.

CB seems a waste if you don't ride frequently in a group that is already using cb.

If you think you might occasionally ride in a 'cb group', I'm sure you can get along fine with hand signals. (we did)
If you find you'd prefer to have a cb, then add it later.

Really depends on how you ride and how you use the bike.
I do know some that want a cb in there bike/car/pickup/motorhome/truck so the can listen to the social chatter.

We've been using bt for bike to bike for several years and are happy with the way it works.
We have family that ride 'naked' bikes that also run bt bike to bike -- and I understand they keep the 'chat' channel open pretty much continuously.
Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a small $95 handheld cb with a $15 speaker/mic attachment when riding with my group. It works as well as the high dollar units used by others in the group for simple communication during the rides. Clips on or off as needed.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use a small $95 handheld cb with a $15 speaker/mic attachment when riding with my group. It works as well as the high dollar units used by others in the group for simple communication during the rides. Clips on or off as needed.
Thanks! Sounds like an ideal solution.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Honda seems to be pricing the CB at a VERY high price point so they can get rid of it at some point. The only use I can see for it is if you frequently ride in a group where they use CB. In the past I've used it to communicate with truckers but they seem to be moving to other systems and / or just not using it as frequently.

Oh, and it will not increase the resale value of your GW by anywhere near to close what you'd pay for it.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honda seems to be pricing the CB at a VERY high price point so they can get rid of it at some point. The only use I can see for it is if you frequently ride in a group where they use CB. In the past I've used it to communicate with truckers but they seem to be moving to other systems and / or just not using it as frequently.

Oh, and it will not increase the resale value of your GW by anywhere near to close what you'd pay for it.
Thanks BC Don, and thanks all! I've decided against the CB. Seems like 65Tuxedo's idea of a handheld is a good option should I ever ride in a group, although I can see why it's an attractive option for group rides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts