GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:

It's the same old thing. My wife says no and I say yes. She feels the AM?FM radio is fine. I say I can't stand fading stations and constant advertisments. Seems like I can never find a good station and I'm always flippin, flippin and flippin.
How about some feedback! Which is better? CD changer or XM radio?
Tell me how you feel because I'm buying one or the other B4 Christmas.

I need imput
Pegasus
01 Black GL1800

·
Registered
994 Posts
Definetly XM radio

Judy and I kicked the same around. CD changer in the trunk was out - did not like the idea of unloading the trunk to change CDs. Thought of MP3 player in the left pocket but I happen to like talk radio and news. We looked at XMs and when Judy saw the weather channel that was it. Large selection of music for Judy plus the weather channel. A few talk stations for me and the comedy channels for both of us.

There are parts of PA, NY and Canada that we frequent a lot and always had to settle for Country or CDs. Now we have it all and only for $10 a month subscription fees. CDs would cost more than that and you have an extra case to haul around.

We have a XM Roady. I purchased extra attennas and such so that I can simply plug the receiver into the bike, car or home. I saw a new XM receiver advertised that looked even better than the Roady but since I had made my purchases I did not even look any further.

I would say do a search on XM and you would be able see a variety of installations but the boards seem to be gone. I have mine installed in the left pocket but others have them mounted in the open so that they can see what is playing and change stations at will. Your choice.

Let me know if I can be of more help
Jim

·
Registered
824 Posts
Had a 12 disc changer on my 1500 and loved it, took a long time to go thru all 12 discs. You may hear the same disc twice in a day, but only on a long days ride. Put an XM on my 1800 and really do like it. Mounted it to the handlebar so I can change stations at will. Only problem now is that the wife knows that it can be changed and when I'm listening to something that she doesn't appreciate, she starts badgering me to change! Seriously the XM is probably the best of both worlds. I would look at the units that can be moved to the cage, the bike and house.

·
Registered
23 Posts
XM all the way It's the best, as you can flip to all the different type of music or talk or news etc. I've got one on the Wing and in the truck. Money well spent, and no pile of CD's to keep up with.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sirius radio is a good chioce too

I had an XM on the bike, it lost the signal all the time. Went with an Audiovox Sirius radio. Works great and for me, the programs are better. You can check out both XM and Sirius on line. I would have to say, either one is a better choice than a CD changer. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
I went with the mini disc player. Each MD will hold up to 5 hours of music, they are small, they are in a case and you don't touch the surface of the disc when loading and unloading. I had lots of problems with scratching the surface of the discs and skipping with the CD player I put on my GL-1500. Best part is, Wal Mart has a Sony mini disc player with car adapter, 12 volt converter, and remote for $127.99. The software is very easy to use and dubs a CD via computer to MD at 32X speed. Five hour discs fill up quickly and are re-recordable. The remote can be zip tied to the cord for the driver headset and is easy to reach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both XM and CD. Both have their drawbacks but I don't have any plans to get rid of either. Like Rick M said, the XM loses its signal a lot in the mountains and areas with a lot of overhead(forest canopy, buildings, etc) but works great in wide open spaces. The CD skips on rough roads, bumps but is great on smooth asphalt. As I said, I'm not giving up either; When one gets aggrevating I can usually use the other(there's alway the FM to fall back on). 8)

p.s. I.ve been eying the Sony NW-MS70D(flash memory) :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
There have been reports of interference between the Delphi XM Roady and GPS receivers. When the Roady is turned on, riders have seen the satellite reception strength drop to zero on the GPS. When the Roady is turned off, the GPS reacquires the satellites and works normally.

I have not seen any info whether other brands/models of satellite radio receiver have the same effect. And I do not know if the positioning of the receivers or the antennas were a factor.

Something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the SkyFi XM and Sony Minidisk. XM is great but sometimes I want to hear my favorite music not the XM programers favorite that's why I have the minidisk. After having cd changers in cars for years I would never put one on the bike, too many scratched cd's.

You might want to look at the XM Commander, perminent mount but small.

G

·
0 Posts
I know the original question was CD changer or XM, but I really think the question has to have 3 answers, including some sort of MP3 player.

I have never had any CD player scratch my CD's, including the changer in my Wing. I have had it jam, and I fixed it myself, and still no scratched disks. But the main reason I have an alternative source of music (iPod) is that 6 CD's is just not that much music, and I want ALL of my music available all the time with no swapping of disks. If I had it to do over again, I would probably not get the changer. But I have to admit, since I do have it, it is really nice to operate it with the integrated controls.

iPod owners, check this out -- this is brilliant. I can't wait to reconfig my bike (power and audio cable to trunk) so the pod can stay safely tucked in the trunk and I can run it from a wireless keyfob.
http://www.engineeredaudio.com/products/remote.html

·
Registered
833 Posts
I use an iPod and the XM both. Couldn't do without either.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ipod

kperson said:
iPod owners, check this out -- this is brilliant. I can't wait to reconfig my bike (power and audio cable to trunk) so the pod can stay safely tucked in the trunk and I can run it from a wireless keyfob.
http://www.engineeredaudio.com/products/remote.html
Looks like a great product, but I am wondering how to connect anything to the audio output of the Ipod with the remote plugged in there. :roll: Maybe a "y" cord will work. :roll: let me know your ideas as I'd love to hook my Ipod up that way.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've got the Delphi Skyfi receiver mounted on my left handlebar, the antenna on the front brake reservoir and my SPIII mounted on my dash. I've never had a problem with interference between the XM and the SPIII or vice-versa.

After six months or so, I got very used to the XM - when I'm in one the cars, I really miss it! I've got extra vehicle kits on my Christmas list. :)

I toyed with the idea of an MP3 player, but I didn't want to have to mess with ripping/downloading music files. The $10/mo. is a small price to pay for having all that different music available. When something comes on that I don't like, I just hit one of the presets.

Whatever your choice, enjoy!

·
Registered
819 Posts
which one?????

xm or Sirius satellite radio :yes: :clap2: I've had Sirius on my bike all summer and loved it.

G

·
0 Posts
I have been using an Achros 6000 since I got my 1800 almost 2 years ago and loved it.

Just got XM radio 2 months ago. Still use both but have found XM radio more convient and better variety.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Re: Ipod

[quote="Rick M
Looks like a great product, but I am wondering how to connect anything to the audio output of the Ipod with the remote plugged in there. :roll: Maybe a "y" cord will work. :roll: let me know your ideas as I'd love to hook my Ipod up that way.[/quote]

Rick M, there is a audio jack in the end of the remote receiver..... Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts