GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Hondaline CD changer when I purchased my 2001 GL1800 in December of 2000. Sometrime during the summer or fall of 2001 it went bad. Honda replaced it with a new one. When I traded for a 2004 Wing, my dealer moved the CD player to the new bike. Now the 2nd CD changer has gone bad.

Here's the question. I know the warranty period is 3 years when the install is done by the dealer. Should I be able to expect that since the 2nd player was less than 3years old, it is still under warranty, or did the warranty expire in December with the original purchase date?

Thanks

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
If Honda operates anything like GM, your warranty has expired because it was with the original unit.

Talk to your dealer real nice. They can do just about anything they want as long as they don't get ridiculous. If that doesn't work, call and or write Honda.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
259 Posts
When mine went bad for the 3rd time on my 2001, I called customer service and they said they were going to stand behind them till the customer was satisfied. So I would definetly call dealer and or Honda to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm having problems too

While we are on the subject, I have on 01 wing (bought used) and I'm fairly certain the original owner had the CD changer replaced. I used it today and loaded 6 CD's no problem. Took off riding and started on disc 2. Ran through disc 6 without any problems but when it went tried to change from 6 to disc 1, I got a flashing magazine error on the LCD screen. It wouldn't change to any of the disc's at that point.

Sounds like I need to see if I can get this replaced again. What have the typical problems been when the changers go bad.

Regards,

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is just totally jammed. The one in slot 6 won't come out and can't put any new ones in. I am very frustrated since it is just outside the original warranty, althjough this specific unit is about 30 months old as it was a replacement for the original.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I soke to my dealer today and they were very helpful. And they verified that if the dealer installed it, the warranty is 36 months, not 12. They are working with American Honda's "Techline" to see what they can do, but the service manager was very positive. Has anyone else had any experience with this problem of being over the original term and still getting satisfaction? I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW, the 1 year warranty referred to in the above post is for audio equipment installed in a motorcycle "previously in service." For new, unsold motorcycles it is the same term as the bike (36 months).

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that on the last written page of the CB Users Manual/Guide it states the warranty is 3 years for the CB! It doesn't dictate who or when it was installed either. It just says 3 years. That was another time I had to call Customer Disservice to get something done!

Honda and the dealer stated it was out of warranty, because Honda sent a service bulletin out to the dealers stating the problem CB's had a one year warranty. I had to call Honda to get warranty service on it. Honda still didn't agree with me even though I gave them the publication number and page number. :( They said they would make an exception in my case and take care of it. I had a warranty statement that said they would take care of it, they didn't do me any favors! LOL... Another case of the left not knowing what the heck the right is doing at Honda.

I got rid of my CD changer & manual, but I'm thinking the manual stated the same thing about it, 3 years. :)

If you have a good dealer you should be okay! Good Luck.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are still working on it. The dealer rep isn't returning phone calls so they think it may end up that I have to go back to customer service but they are trying.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought my cd changer around March of 2001 and the last replacement done UNDER WARRANTY, free, no charge was Aug of 2003. They installed new changer and the mounting bracket and also changed my mat set, all under warranty. My dealer went thru the rep and I went ahead and called customer service. My phone call got the fastest results because customer service called the dealer and told them to go ahead and change everything. I was told that I have another year of warranty on the changer. CALL THEM :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hats off to my dealer and the dealer rep. They called today and they are going to replace my CD changer. The dealer said because we had bought so many Honda's and get all our service done there, they wanted to help and the rep was very agreeable. With all the negative vibes from some dealers, it's good to know there are good ones like mine. I am pleased.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts