GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions for you guys regarding the CD changer replacements. My first CD changer was replaced on Oct. 1 2003. My second changer was replaced on Oct 31 2003. I had the work done by a new dealer thats not used to working on Wings (closer to home then dealer I bought the bike from) I still have not received my CD's back from Honda. Has anyone gone through this experience and if so how long should it take? How is the best way to contact Honda? Also last week I went to my original dealer to have heated grips put on and he informed me that the dealer never changed the bracket on the changer. Does anyone know how to tell the difference in the changer brackets?
If anyone has the answers I know this board will. Thanks

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
When I had my first changer replaced the new brackets were not out. The new mount is easy to see ,it stick up about 1/2 inch higher than the floor of the trunk. It will takemore than a than a few mounths to get your cd back.make sure the dealer let Honda know that there were cd's in the unit that was sent back.
Some one had a fix for the jamming in another thread, but I cant find it.
If that person see's this, please repost the fix. Thanks
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had a changer, #3, replaced in April and received the stuck cd's back in August or September. They came from a independent shop that must be doing the repairs for Honda.
The last time they stuck I was able to get them out with a hemostat by gently grabbing the edge the cd that was stuck just inside the loading door of the changer. Opened the changer door with a small screw driver.
Received the new mount when the last one jammed and now it has been working without a problem.
The new bracket is about 1/2" higher than the old style. And the button to open the cover of the cd changer is colored green and red ( i think) and has to slide to the side to open the compartment. If you have a Honda mat set you will have to get the new style of them too. They are covered under warranty.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cd changer

boy howdy have i read a lot of stories about that $ 1000 lemon of a cd changer.

i can offer my opinion on two points

first get a refund or something on that thing.

i have a sirius sat radio on my new wing, i went that route rather than the cd changer, simply because it works. on a recent trip of 2500 miles, i had about 5 times that there was a 2 second outage of signal. pretty darn good. we drove 12 hours the first day and had very few repeat songs while haveing it on the same station all the time. very nice variety. no commercials. and there are 100 choices of stations.

on my 1500 gl i had a 12 disc changer in the trunk. it worked pretty fair, it did skip on rough roads. but you can purchase decent 12 disc changers on ebay that are new for about $ 150 shipped to your house. they will plug in the aux and be controlled by the wired remote. then pocket the extra money.

seems a lot of folks are paying the large money and not getting what they paid for. if you insist on a cd changer try cheaper one that couldnt work any worse, and most likely much better.

loren

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loren, I totally agree with you ifI had it to do over I would go with an MP3 and Sat. radio. Unfortunetly I think i'm stuck with what I have. I don't think they will refund the money. Oh well live and learn.
Hap

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Yea - that CD changer is one item I should have passed on. However, I got my bike in Dec 00, and there was no history to draw on at that time. In fact, I had to wait 2 months for Honda to get the CD changers to the field. And I am on changer #3, still with the old mount. Try me again - it will be a sat radio or an MP3 player - anything but a CD changer.

Having said that, it is still the best touring bike I have ever sat on. It just that the audio system leaves a little to be desired. But is sure beats listening to the home stereo system with a fan blowing in your face.

Ride like there is no tomorrow. One day you will be right.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've had mine replaced once, and never got the stuck CD back. But I love my CD player, I use it all the time and when all 6 cd's have played thru I turn on my Sony 707 to finish out my trips.
I know it was expensive and a little bit of a problem, but I wouldn't be without it, it is a great plus to me. Now, if they had premade mini discs and a multi 6 mini disc holder I would then go to that system. MHO

I couldn't travel without it.(well I could, just don't want to) Joy

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cd changer

heres a little trick i learned a long time ago.

since blank cds are almost free anymore, i just got 50 for $ 5.00 after best buy rebate recently.

i have been makeing a copy of my cds, then placeing the real cds on the shelf at home. then useing the copies in the car. that way if one gets stolen, broken, lost, or whatever. it costs like almost nothing to replace it.

also comes in handy when a certain $ 1000 honda changer decides to eat some.

loren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts