GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a terrible distortion while riding at speeds of about 40mph and greater while playing the CD. There is a loud crackling through both front and rear speakers especially on the high treble end (vocals, etc.). The problem is worse with increase in volumes and I fear that this is a permanent condition due to overmodulation of the stock speakers due to the digital quality of the signal to the speakers. I am not near volume max, either. My dealer wants to replace the CD.....I do not think this will cure the problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
787 Posts
You may have already thought of this, but this is what comes to my mind. Do the speakers crack & pop while playing the radio, or just the CD player? If the radio sounds the same, it may not be the CD player.

If you use a headset, is the same noise present in the headset? Maybe the speakers are damaged. I would check them first if you haven't already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Bill. I have an 2003 1800. I can crank the volume up full or use auto vol with the radio and have no problem. If I go to CD, I cannot use autovolume or get the volume higher than about 2/3 capacity without significant crackling and poping on the high treble end and peaks in the music. Don't use headsets. Its only with CD use. I think its overmodulation for the stock speakers or the entire audio unit when playing digitally....ie CD. I will certainly go for a new player, this one only a month old....but I doubt it is defective....I think the problem lies in the capacity of the speakers and/or audio unit. I am considering finding out if the stock speakers are an issue and replacing those.

·
Registered
569 Posts
CD

I have a 2002 with the cd changer and stock speakers. I have never had a crackling sound in the speakers, and I have had the volume up pretty high. I would let them replace the cd under warranty.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm out of ideas. I have had my CD player for over a year with both stock and Polk speakers. No problems like you describe. I usually run the volume at 15 to 18. Since the dealer is willing, let them replace the CD player. If that doesn't do it, I suppose the audio unit would be the next thing to try.

Good Luck. Please let us know if you find the solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the CD myself (took all day) but it was satisfying to do the work. I have had no problem with distoration and sorta doubt that the CD would be the problem -- speakers or grounding possibly? :roll:

I use ear plugs when I ride -- helps cut out the high annoying sounds but allows the music to be heard. I have to keep the volume at about 20 to 22 and will be having EC install an amp when the weather gets better.

Keeps us posted on the source of the distoration.

-gene

·
Registered
533 Posts
Return the CD Changer!

PondGuy,

From your description, it is clearly the CD changer. I also assume it is one of the Honda wonders of a CD player that they overcharged you to have.

If the radio works through the speakers and the CD changer is noisy, it is the CD changer, or possibly the power hook-up of the changer.

Don't take the changer back for a replacement, take it back for a refund of the $1000 they stole from you. Then you can buy an XM receiver or a MP3 player for 1/3 of that amount. You end up with a better system, get rid of the old technology, save money and improve your touring experience all at the same time.

I fear that this is a permanent condition due to overmodulation of the stock speakers due to the digital quality of the signal to the speakers.
Whoa, whoa guy, watch out that you are not overmodulating! Even though the disks are digital, the output is analog, the same as any other radio or audio equipment. There are no Digital to Analog converters in speakers. :p

·
Registered
787 Posts
Deadeye has a great idea if you can return the CD player for a refund!!!

I also have a Sony 707 MP3 player which sounds every bit as good as my CD player at 1/5 the cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CD Player Distortion -thanks for the feedback

Heyguys

I appreciated all the good ideas and the feedback. Your right on the MP3, but due to some "customer service issues" with the dealership, they installed my CD player at cost (about $500).Cudos to the dealer...they really wanted me happy. In any event, I will change out the player in Spring. I hope this resolves it, although it being a new changer out of the box I have a hard time believing it would have been sent out defective. Didnt know all signals were analog...understand to speakers it must be analog. However, I still believe that the CD signals to the audio unit are so powerful and "digitally crisp" as to overmodulate the system at higher volumes (past 2/3 capacity). Otherwise why would the radio peaked out not be a problem???

·
Registered
619 Posts
Pondguy,
I have the disc changer and the XM....never had a problem with the changer and listen to music at the 30 level...but now I don't use the disc changer with the XM.......love the XM....well worth the $$......I also have heard stories of people losing their disc if it is jammed and the company replaces them at $15.00 ( I think) but I buy all that crap from the tv..oldies, etc. so what I do, is burn copies and use them in the bike, just incase....again, just another thought! Good luck..

bruce aka "the blue trawler" :blw1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts