GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so about a month ago I decided it's just to hot with the stock windshield. I tried setting it down all the way and with the vent open, but with a mesh jacket and fullface helmet, I just did not get enough air when cruising at slow speeds along the coast. Forget about city traffic.

I decided I would order one of Cee Bailey's Summer Sportshields and give it a try. I wanted something different and I liked the styling (reminded me of the Cobra Edition Goldwing) so I placed an order for an 11.5" tall with dark gray tint. I wanted the color to accent the black on the bike.

According to their website, the lead time was 7-10 working days so I ordered it with 2nd day delivery because I'm not a patient kinda guy. Anyway, I have been kinda busy lately but after about 15 days, and no delivery, I decided to give them a call and see what's up. After some checking with customer service they concluded that the order had indeed been placed but somehow it had not reached their server for processing. I was of course dissapointed figuring it would take another 15 days or so to get the windshield. They assured me that they would put a rush on it and have it to me by the end of the week. Sure enough, by the end of the week the package was waiting at my door.

Well, it was like Christmas in September to me so I open the box and what do I find inside, a stock windshield 11.5" tall with dark gray tint. Now I'm about to go ballistic but I decide life's too short so I calm down and get on the phone with customer service. After I explained that the windshield I received was not what I ordered they switched me to someone in production. Now the fun was about to begin. I explained again how the windshield I ordered was not what I received and described to him that it looked like a stock windshield that had been tinted and cut down to 11.5". Well, he would not hear such blasphemy! He argued that what I had received is what I had ordered. I explained again, what I am holding is not even pictured on the website, I could not have possibly ordered this. Well, we argued for another 5 minutes before I convinced him to go to the website and look at what I had ordered. He does. I say that's not what I have in my hands. He says, if you ordered the windshield that I'm looking at on the website, that's what you received.

Now I'm about ready to go postal but I calmly ask him to put someone else on that can verify what I have ordered and that I have the order numbers, etc, etc. He puts me on hold and about 5 minutes later he comes back on and says, Sir, you were correct, we made a mistake, I apoligize and we will send out the correct shield right away. I say, Thank You and what would you like me to do with the windshield I have now. He says, just keep it for your troubles.

Now, that was not what I was expecting but in the end, Cee Bailey came through and made sure the customer was satisfied and everyone was happy. I want to point out that I have ordered from them before and have had no trouble whatsoever. I will continue to recommend them to anyone for quality products and great customer service. In the end, it was worth the trouble since I now have two great looking windshields and I can't decide which one I like better, just yet.

Maybe you can help me out and pick which one you like better. The photos I have posted show three angles of the short OEM windshield all the way down and all the way up. The next set of photos show the Summer Sportshield all the way down and all the way up. I used different angles in case anyone is interested in buying one of these windshields for themselves.

Thanks for listening to me rant and here are the photos (click on the thumbnails for a larger photo): Cee Bailey's Windshields

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Stock with the square top... The round one looks like a fingernail with the gold fairing.. Love the short shield look though, I run my Windbender without the shield when I want the wind on the Wing!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I also like the looks of the stock best. The round top on the sport just dosen't look right on the wing. But if you looking to get more wind the sport looks like it will do that for you.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I really like that sport windshield. I've been waiting to a see a wing with one installed. My wife really likes the pictures of your bike with the sport windshield. I'm going to buy one and install it for my local riding. For my long distance rides I'll put the stock back on but I like the sporty for the short hauls.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like the stock best in the up position. I think both look good down. Air flow would be the clincher for me.

I have a Tulsa Sport which I think looks good, but it has a lot of buffeting. Might be OK in short rides, but in California you can get hot, cold and freeway buffeting all in one short ride so the stock size adjustable is best for me most of the time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the sportshield on this morning (then posted the photos) and went riding all day until about 30 minutes ago. They both have the same amount of airflow all the way down. Steady flow of air, no buffeting. Air hits me right in the face.

It's down to looks and even though I like both, the stock one is looking better to me in relation to the asthetics of the bike.

The sportshield is nice though, looks much better in person and is unique on the wing. I will stare at them some more and decide on one by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like the stock style, also. I might think differently if they weren't tinted.

·
Registered
373 Posts
definately the stock.

Scott

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after lots of comparisons and suggestions, I have settled on the "OEM style" windshield as my shorty of choice. I reinstalled it yesterday and went riding all day. We had a great day with no rain for a change. It was so nice we went out again in the evening as well. Did about 200 miles for the day.

Thanks to all who replied with their choice of windshield. It reinforced my decision. Looks like I will keep the stock one and get rid of the Sportshield. Hope everyone has a great week.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I love the dark tint and the stock style. When I replace my shield it will be dark tint too. It'll look great on my Black Wing. 8)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nestor said:
Looks like I will keep the stock one and get rid of the Sportshield. Hope everyone has a great week.
Hate to sound like a vulture, but P.M. me if you're really gonna get rid of the sportshield. Unless it's gone already...... :(

IPSC hosting sight for pictures of motorcycles..........I like you already!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Running Rabbit said:
Nestor said:
Looks like I will keep the stock one and get rid of the Sportshield. Hope everyone has a great week.
Hate to sound like a vulture, but P.M. me if you're really gonna get rid of the sportshield. Unless it's gone already...... :(

IPSC hosting sight for pictures of motorcycles..........I like you already!!!
Sorry, it's gone already. I appreciate the request though.

IPSC is my other hobby. Now, if I could only combine the two ....

·
Registered
203 Posts
I thought the stock one looked better also. The fact that you can raise it up if you did need a little more protection makes it that much more appealing. The question is, Is this available from Cee Bailey's or was it just a one off they sent you?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ford68xl said:
I thought the stock one looked better also. The fact that you can raise it up if you did need a little more protection makes it that much more appealing. The question is, Is this available from Cee Bailey's or was it just a one off they sent you?
I can't say for sure if it's a one off or not. I'm sure if you give them a call and request it they can do it. Mine was 11.5" tall with the dark tint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts