GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any inpput on Cee Baily or Windbender windshield? I know there are others out there but I wanted to stay with something that can be adjusted. Is the CDee Bailey just like a stock with added or less height or is it a different shape like Windbender?

Any input appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Of the two, the Cee Bailey's is closest to looking like stock, but it does have a different, somewhat wider, shape. And it has the "vent" which is angled to direct incoming air up the backside of the shield. The Windbender is essentially two smaller windshields sandwiched together. I have the CB+1" shield. It has reduced the buffeting I experienced with the OEM shield, but not as much as I had hoped. I still have to raise the CB shield almost as high as I had the original shield to reduce buffeting to a tolerable level. BTW, I prefer to look over the shield. Because the CB shield is thicker than stock, it can be difficult to raise up or down. Other nitpicks: the lower area of the shield for which the stock shield is "blacked out" is instead clear on the CB, giving a view to the inside of the fairing (which I don't like) and the edges of the cut-out for the vent should be finished properly like the other edges of the shield.

Despite its higher cost, I wish I had bought the Windbender instead. That's assuming it better deflects the air over the rider than the CB does. I probably will purchase the Windbender when the CB wears out.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 18,888 miles on my Windbender HP and love it. I had a Tulsa on my 1500, which I also liked. However, when I got my 1800 this spring I liked looking over the top of the shield so instead of going with another Tulsa, I decided to try the Windbender. I have a smoke color Windbender on my Candy Red 03. I personally like the looks. Additionally, my bride likes the reduced buffeting afforded by the shield. I have heard that Firecreek, makers of the Windbender, are working on an electronic height adjustment feature that would be added to the shield and retro fitted to existing WB's.

http://thumb8.webshots.com/s/thumb4/4/4 ... rCN_th.jpg

Swec

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a WB and like it over the stock shield. I personally think it gives about equal wind protection as stock in the full up position , but giving the ability to look over it at the same time.

I sometimes even remove the outer shield altogether when it's hot and I'm not going far. Lot's and lot's of adjustment. ...

I'm thinking of cutting my stock shield down to replace the Bender outer shield for winter time. Then I could have a tall "look through" shield for bad weather and a short fair weather shield with a change out time of about 20 seconds...........

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
Rob.......Do you have the HP with the lip? If so, does the lip ever affect your vision? I was told by Firecreek the only one for me would be the HP since I want to look way over the shield. Just curious!

Thanks........

P:S
I like your picture Rob. I kinda pictured that's what you would look like! No wonder you don't have any problems crawling around engine compartments! LOL!!! (Sorry! I couldn't help myself!)

Happy Holidays......

·
Registered
833 Posts
Red, yes it will affect your vision if you raise it too high. The only time it even comes close for me is when I'm pounding the slab at high speeds with the SO on the back. She prefers I get it a bit higher than I ordinarily like to reduce the blast on her face. But for interstate riding I'm looking pretty far ahead anyway so it's not really an issue.

If the stock shield wind protection is sufficient for you then you'll really enjoy looking over the WB.

BTW that's an older photo of me. I have a lot more weight and a lot less hair now..... at least on my head.......... Rob :sw1:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
w/bender w/s

I really like the look of the windbender w/s. Will it work for a taller rider with along torso about 6 ft 3? JD

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I've been looking at the Cee Bailey unit. Looking through the windshield does not bother me. I must admit the more I read on the shields the more undecided on which to purchase I become.

I have the OE winder all the way up to help the wind buffeting on my wife when we ride.

The Tulsa wings on the mirrors helped break the wind off me and my wife.

·
Registered
833 Posts
JD, you should call Firecreek and talk with them about what would do the best job for you. They seemed pretty straight up about thier products when I spoke with them.

Tony, if you like to look through and are lookng for the greatest isolation from the wind the Tulsa may be what you want to look at. ........... Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: w/bender w/s

JD said:
I really like the look of the windbender w/s. Will it work for a taller rider with along torso about 6 ft 3? JD
I'm 6'1", with a long torso (shirts and jackets need to be "tall"), and the windbender works great for me. I set the bottom section as high as it will go, and the top section one notch from the bottom for metro riding (sub 60MPH), and one notch higher for interstate riding (perfect for looking over, if I leave it at the metro setting, I get a tiny amount of helmet buffeting, still WAY less than stock). There are still two higher notches to go, so it should work fine for you.

I'm not too impressed with the looks, but it works great. I don't think I get quite as much wind protection as my wife's Tulsa, but I can't stand looking "through" a shield.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey +2 along with Tulsa mirror wings. The combination has greatly reduced buffeting for both rider and passenger. I think it is one of the best additons I have made. :)

It is a little more difficult to adjust because it is thicker. It is not really wider than stock (according to my tape measure) but, it does look like it due to the shape. The optical quality is excellent.

Make sure and cover the "Honda Hole" when changing the shield! It is no fun if you drop a grommet down there. Please don't ask how I know. :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windbender ...

Have purchased a Windbender because I like to look over the windshield. The Windbender does pretty good in controlling wind buffeting. I prerfer clean wind, part of cycle riding. Had a R1100RT and it controlled wind very well, usually rode in the freeway with the shield in the down position with no buffeting. I never appreciated that until the Wing. Can't understand the lack of aero dynamic design on the Wing. Riding in 80+ degree weather its like riding in a car with no air conditioning. Installed some Baker mirror wings to draw some air on me, works a little better.

Asked Windbender if they tried to put a vent in the stationary part of the shield. They responded back saying that they had not. I offered to test a prototype model, never heard back from them.

In summary, the Windbender is a big improvement for me, but I still sit in a vacuum. In a previous post I was told that this is what Wingers want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.