GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Garmin 1490T and have it mounted to my '06 Wing via a Ram Mount. The GPS unit uses a mini-USB for power. This power cable uses the cigarette lighter in the left pocket to complete the power circuit. The 1490T is Bluetooth capable. I like the GPS. It has many nice features: Lane assist, Traffic advisories, etc. And believe me, living in Atlanta, GA, you need the traffic advisories.

The issue I need some smart engineers to solve is I want to use my cell phone combined through the GPS and be able to use my Edsets to hear and talk on the phone. I've checked out the J&M cellset but don't like it (too expensive). The Kennedy cellset diagrams are simply poor in describing what needs to be done to make the connection work.

Is there any other alternative to using my GPS and a cellphone without purchasing a Zumo, and expensive cellset. Is there a method to wire the GPS via a mini-USB to power the GPS but also give an input into the intercom system and be able to talk on the phone. I realize I can hear the phone via the AUX circuit, and I know you can't talk on the AUX circuit.

Just looking for any ideas and maybe installations y'all have done.

I love my Wing. :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There is no cheap way to do any of this.

The core part of the problem is that your voice has to go through the intercom in a sort of wired solution. ALL wireless solutions are expensive. There are Bluetooth headsets that don't have to be wired to the bike, but you still have to have a device attached to the sound system to give you a signal so you can hear the radio, etc..

If you play your music off the GPS, then you don't need the device on the system, but you still need the BT headseats, which also cost an arm and a leg.

Plus, if you go wireless, and run something like a radar detector, you don't have a route to get the RD signal into your headsets.

It's sort of like wanting a CB radio on a Wing.. No good way to do it that doesn't involve lube.

The Kennedy gear is expensive, but solid. Does the 1490T even have a microphone jack? If it doesn't, then you're pretty close to stuck with BT headets, because you won't be able to get the mike signal back into it.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Actually, what you want to do is very easy and relatively inexpensive, but you can't do it with the 1490T.

You need a GPS that has both a microphone input jack and a audio output jack, neither of which are on the 1490T.

If you had both of these, then it would be simple matter of connecting the audio out on the GPS to the AUX input on the bike. In addition, you would need one of these "mic splitters" from Edsets to go inline with the bikes intercom. The connection is under the left fairing pocket:

Click on the image for more info

The only current models of Garmin GPS's that have both a mic input and an audio out is the Zumo Series GPS's.

If you can find one of the older Garmin 2820's or a Nuvi 760, then you could accomplish what you want to do easily. Bothy of these models are Bluetooth capable and have both an audio out and mic in.

An easy way to make sure is to go to the Gamin site, pick a model of GPS and then look for the following:

• Under the specs tab, does it have a MP3 player built in. If it does, it has an audio out.
  • Under the accessories tab, is a mic cable available. If it is, then it has a mic input jack.
Even if you had a Bluetooth helmet headset, this wouldn't work because the nuvi cannot pair with more than one Bluetooth device at a time. So, if you paired your phone with the GPS, you would not able to pair your Bluetooth helmet headset.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is NOT a solution to what the OP wants to do. :roll:
It is an alternate solution. It will pair with the 1490T and his cell phone, has a built in FM radio, can hook up his IPod, rider to passanger communications, bike to bike communications. Passenger can listen to different FM station.

He doesn't have to buy a different Garmin. For $229.00, get rid of the Edsets.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
It is an alternate solution. It will pair with the 1490T and his cell phone, has a built in FM radio, can hook up his IPod, rider to passanger communications, bike to bike communications. Passenger can listen to different FM station.
I won't pair to the 1490T. Garmin GPS's have Bluetooth Capability, but only to pair a phone to the GPS to allow you to see the Address book on the GPS and make and receive calls. The is no Bluetooth output on the GPS to broadcast directions or any other GPS function. In other words, you can Bluetooth a cell phone TO the GPS, but you cannot Bluetooth FROM the GPS to any other device.

While the Scala Rider setup is nice, it still does not solve his problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts