GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I might get this phone just to not have to worry about it when riding. Waterproof, dustproof and rugged. I'll wait and see what the new iPhone5 is like first. Since I don't have a problem with AT&T and I hate to leave them what with unlimited Data and company discount I enjoy. Maybe get one of each? ;)

http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the kennedy Cellset Bluetooth on my wing. Last year I got a Iphone4. I was using a Razor V3 and it had auto-answer on Bluetooth. After 2 rings it would automatically answer. The Iphone4 does not have auto-answer on bluetooth. You can't touch the screen with gloves on either. I connect to the bike with my wife's Razor V3 and forward my phone to her's. We have to be able to be contacted by phone because of health conditions of family members.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my iPhone4 right in front of me and with my well worn gloves I can swipe to answer but rarely do I hear it ring. I'm still hopeing for auto answer too. You'd think with such a high tech phone it would have any and all ways to set it up to answer. There are gloves that have special fingertips that work with some phones, not sure how they work with the sensative iPhones though.

This Commando phone looks to have similar glass sensativity so I'd have to get a closer look to see how it works.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The kennedy hook-up is great. it goes through the intercom and you can hear it ring and with auto-answer you can talk without taking your hands off the handlebars.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Wow. I have two rules of riding...

1) It's a great way to spend a day with your wife without having to talk to her.

2) It's a great way to spend a day without having to answer the phone.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I to have the Kennedy Set up but either I have the radio up to a level where I just don't hear the phone or the ring tone is not loud enough.

My main reason for having the phone is if my Mom calls me because there may be an emergency. (My Mom is 85) If anyone else calls I let them leave a message. I try to answer it as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I throw my phone in the trunk and usually don't get it out until I get home. I don't understand people who think because a phone rings it has to be answered. And I'm completely confused why someone would want to be bothered with one on a bike ride. If it's important they will call back.

·
Registered
325 Posts
FlameWinger,
I understand about having to take care of the parents. Been there... done that. I don't know what kind of headset you have and how it integrates with the intercom, but call the guys at J & M Motorcycle Audio (www.jmcorp.com) and explain your problem. They might have something that you can make work and they are very nice people to talk to. I plan to someday upgrade to their auto-answer system that integrates into my J&M Elite 629 headsets.
Bless your family.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
I to have the Kennedy Set up but either I have the radio up to a level where I just don't hear the phone or the ring tone is not loud enough.

My main reason for having the phone is if my Mom calls me because there may be an emergency. (My Mom is 85) If anyone else calls I let them leave a message. I try to answer it as soon as I get a chance.

Nothing wrong with what your doing:thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm thinking I might get this phone just to not have to worry about it when riding. Waterproof, dustproof and rugged. I'll wait and see what the new iPhone5 is like first. Since I don't have a problem with AT&T and I hate to leave them what with unlimited Data and company discount I enjoy. Maybe get one of each? ;)

http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/
Nice lookin phone. I bought a six military grade/spec phones for my foreman but they still manage to destroy them. One guy went with blackberry & gator case...that is the only surviving phone although he's been through a few cases.
Last weekend I got caught in a 4" downpour and took a splash that somehow filled my pocket where my iphone was. After having it fixed (cows out of the barn, water over the dam, should have got the insurance, yeah I heard it all week long) I researched cases and decided on "ballistic". You might want to check it out. Resistant to impact, water, dust, etc. "all good".
If you get that phone, I'll be looking for your review.
http://www.goballisticcase.com/collections/all

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wish I had the luxury of being able to ignore my phone, however I am not that lucky. Due to family and occupational responsabilities I too have to stay available by phone. I use the Scala G4 system and love it with my Blackberry.
It would be nice to be able to say "it can wait". For some of us it can't wait. We have commitments to families or job responsabilities that prevent that. I am required to be available 24/7 unless I make complicated arrangements. If I decide to just hop on my bike and go for a ride I better stay connected or I won't have the job that pays for it all. For many, family issues demand the same commitment. It is the cell phone that allows us to ride at all.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If anyone trys and calls me with an emergency when I'm out riding,They will find out for themselves they should of called 911.They might get there faster and actually know WTF they are doing.After calling 911 leave a voicemail to tell me what hospital they are going too!:thumbup:

·
Love The DCT
12,183 Posts
I wish I had the luxury of being able to ignore my phone, however I am not that lucky. Due to family and occupational responsabilities I too have to stay available by phone. I use the Scala G4 system and love it with my Blackberry.
It would be nice to be able to say "it can wait". For some of us it can't wait. We have commitments to families or job responsabilities that prevent that. I am required to be available 24/7 unless I make complicated arrangements. If I decide to just hop on my bike and go for a ride I better stay connected or I won't have the job that pays for it all. For many, family issues demand the same commitment. It is the cell phone that allows us to ride at all.
So you're implying you never rode before until you got a cell phone? I find it somewhat amusing that we as bikers complain about inattentive brain dead cage drivers yapping on cellphones nearly taking us out, yet some of us find it necessary to be "wired to the world" and blabbing away on a cell phone while riding a bike. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The guy is talking about phones and some people seem to think he was asking them to judge him on his activity. This goes on alot here. If its not your cup of tea thats ok ; he didnt say you had to do what he does. If you dont like phones on bikes start another negative thread on your own and have a private bashing party with all the anti phone people who just like to bitch.!!!!!!!!!!!sheesh

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If anyone trys and calls me with an emergency when I'm out riding,They will find out for themselves they should of called 911.They might get there faster and actually know WTF they are doing.After calling 911 leave a voicemail to tell me what hospital they are going too!:thumbup:
That reminds me of many years ago when we had an elderly next door neighbor couple; one weekend, when we were away from home on the bike, she called and left a frantic message, "Please help me... Don fell (and can't get up) and he's not answering me!" We were both active EMT-CC's at the time and had pulled Don through a similar incident several months before that. Instead of dialing 911, she saw both Jeeps in the driveway and called my home phone (very few peepz have my cell number).

More than a day later, we ot home and heard the message on the answering machine (remember those? ;) ). I called her back and explained that she should never do that again, and to call 911 for emergencies as we were more than six hours away when she left that message.

I guess the word, "emergency" has different meanings for different people. When I am on the bike, my cell phone is in its holster on my belt, and it stays there until I am off the bike, mostly because I do not want to be bothered on the bike, and because I only have two hands and cannot access the phone with those hands (or any other appendage :joke: ) while riding.

I considered getting a Kennedy setup for the bike, but would probably do their setup for the VX-8DR first.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thats all fine and dandy if that is what you want. My wife and I were about two hours away from home when I got a call from my son that my Mother had a stroke. She was 82. I got to the hospital just in time to see her take her last breaths.She opened her eyes one last time and it looked like a small smile came across her face. I was holding her hand when she took her last breath. If I had not been able to recieve calls while on the bike, that would not be one of my memories of her. If you don;t want to be disturbed by calls, that is fine. Just don't chastise others who do. So people have a valid reason. My wife's mom is 89 and requires constant care and we expect a similar call anytime now.
Don't be such and idiot and turn my words around as chastising anyone.:eek:4:

Trust me the OP doesn't need any help.She can handle herself quite well around here.:thumbup:

The fact is Paramedics have a better chance of treating a person in an emergency!
What good is it going to do me if I know about it!
A voicemail will tell me where I need to go to see whoever was treated by the 911 responders and taken to the hospital!

Nothing more nothing less.

What did you do as a kid when no one had a cell phone? Never leave home out of fear of "What if" Mom needs me to run to the store for milk? :nojoke:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got that phone, love it. Actually know someone who takes it snorkling and uses it to take pictures underwater.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts