GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the accidents, near misses and just plain crazy driving by "cagers" on cell phones, can you believe there is even a market for, in-helmet cell phone hookups for motorcycles.

Give me a break.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
ytownmac said:
With all of the accidents, near misses and just plain crazy driving by "cagers" on cell phones, can you believe there is even a market for, in-helmet cell phone hookups for motorcycles.
Have you ever heard of personal responsibility? (Rhetorical question. Obviously you haven't! :roll: ) Here's a flash for you: It's the driver that causes the problem, not the cellphone, coffee, or ___________.
Give me a break.
Why?!?!?!

(Who/what did you blame for your last wreck?)

:roll: Oh, yeah: With all the accidents involving motorcycles, can you believe that there is even a market for motorcycles??? :roll:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yeah, but those phones are only dangerous and the cause of deaths on the road if being used by drivers of those eeeeeeeeeevil EssYewVees. :wink:

Seriously, there are all sorts of communication (and other) devices that can be used while riding a motorcycle. I have seen CB, Amateur Radio, and Cell Phone setups for use on motorcycles, and also cup holders.

Maybe RAM will introduce a bracket and holder for the various sies of take-out boxes so we can eat those McDoo and KFC meals while on the road.... maybe an ice cream cone holder would be another good idea.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I can't believe people actually talk on cell phones while driving anything. And everytime I do it myself, I think "why the hell am I doing this"
And I do it again. We all know it is a distraction, but we all allow a myriad of distractions on the road. :?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have talked to a few people on motorcycles using cell phones while they were riding. They came in clear as a bell. Maybe we shouldn't use our CB's while riding? It seems they would cause an accident just as fast as a cell phone user? Maybe we shouldn't have intercom's either, because I am sure they also could cause an accident? Then of course we shouldn't listen to music either because that could cause an accident? Maybe we shouldn't be riding bikes either because they get into accidents? Just where do you draw the line for personal responsibility or letting someone else who can't chew gum and walk at the same time tell us what we can and can not do?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I must really be old fashioned.

There is not that much going on in my life, that I need instant gratification of talking to someone, or someone that calls me, on their schedule to talk about almost nothing.

My cell phone is not the way to get in touch with me. You can call it, and when I am ready, I will retrieve the messages and get back to you, if that is what you want.

We have many friends, that the minute we stop for gas, lodging, a break or whatever, they whip out the phone to see if they have any messages.

Hell, I am not in charge of National Security, or the flood watch coordinator. What can be so important that even routine calls can be so important?

I can understand an "Emergency" call from the kids or wife, but I don't get any of them. If my house is burning, not much I can do about it 100 miles away. If my kids are in the Hospital, they will probably be there when I get home.

If the Atom Bomb falls, I don't think a call will do me much good!

I ride my bike, to get away from people and contact.

Bulldog

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
What really pisses me off is trying to answer the cell phone while riding my bike and I end up spilling my beer.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Well Bulldog, when you own a business that depends on very fast service for the well being of peoples health and lives. You then need to be in touch with certain people day or night. It is a pain in the butt to stop for gas and then spend 10 minutes dealing with work issues. If you can talk to them while riding you have just eliminated one of the troublesome issues with cell phones & bikes "the time it takes to answer calls at gas stops". I have Blue tooth and we also have our phones on vibrate when riding. For our business field it can truly be a matter of life or death.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ytownmac said:
Unfortunately if it wern't for this hookup I wouldn't be able to ride nearly as much as I do. When customers call or problems arise I have to be available.

Dave

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
wingnutzz said:
lomax said:
PoleCat said:
What really pisses me off is trying to answer the cell phone while riding my bike and I end up spilling my beer.
I like this guy. :D

Marc
What's scary is the fact that he is not joking (heh-heh).
ROTFLMAO !! :lol:

My job requires me to be accessable 24/7. It sucks sometimes....but pays the bills. I find using the phone while riding no more dangerous than:
talking on the CB ...or... messing with the radio ...or... paying attention to the GPS ...or... taking a drink ...or... waving at BMW riders ...or... any number of other things we talk about doing while riding here every day. Why are cell phones singled out as some evil thing??

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Bulldog said:
I must really be old fashioned.

There is not that much going on in my life, that I need instant gratification of talking to someone, or someone that calls me, on their schedule to talk about almost nothing.

My cell phone is not the way to get in touch with me. You can call it, and when I am ready, I will retrieve the messages and get back to you, if that is what you want.

We have many friends, that the minute we stop for gas, lodging, a break or whatever, they whip out the phone to see if they have any messages.

Hell, I am not in charge of National Security, or the flood watch coordinator. What can be so important that even routine calls can be so important?

I can understand an "Emergency" call from the kids or wife, but I don't get any of them. If my house is burning, not much I can do about it 100 miles away. If my kids are in the Hospital, they will probably be there when I get home.

If the Atom Bomb falls, I don't think a call will do me much good!

I ride my bike, to get away from people and contact.

Bulldog
I generally agree with Bulldog; I like some peace and quiet on the bike. I do, however, want to be reachable in an emergency, or just let my wife know I'm going to be late getting home. If I'm on the superslab, it's a pain to get off to make the call. I now have a GPS with built-in Bluetooth. So, for me to make or answer a call is one touch of the screen, and the rest is totally hands free. I use it rarely, but it's nice to have when I want it.

As for distraction, I have said this before on this forum, but I can't for the life of me see why a truly hands free call is more distracting than a conversation with a passenger in your car. In fact, if tallking to a passenger, I'm likely to look at them from time to time, thus taking my eyes off the road.

I know that I can have some conversations without materially diverting my attention from driving/riding, but others may demand more of my attention. Recently I was having a conversation with my wife who was riding pillion. She asked me something that required my to really think about it, and I responded that we'd have to talk about that later, I couldn't focus on the issue and my riding at the same time. I have learned from reading about psychological experiements and my own experience, that the human brain can only really focus on one thing at a time. Sure, your brain picks up other stuff. That's why we can rely to some degree on our peripheral vision, but when we get that stimulus, we need to refocus our attention on it, in order to understand what it really is.

So, what I'm saying is you, the rider, have to make a judgment about what and how much stimuli you can receive without diverting your focus from the chore at hand: Riding safely! For your sake, and the sake of any passenger and those around you, please err on the side of caution!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
cell phones

Lucky 777 asked: Why are cell phones singled out as some evil thing??

I think the reason is a holdover from, and still applies to, cell phones without any hands free capability. Those phones are distracting because they require your eyes and hands to operate, your brain to remember the number, etc., and that's just too much demand on your brain to leave enough to focus on your driving/riding. I do not believe this logic applies to hands free phones, but people apparently choose not to make the distinction.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I work in an industry where I am on call for a week or more at a time, sometimes every other week. If I did not have the J&M cellphone interface unit for my GL1800 I would not be able to ride much at all. I don't use the phone for just "gabbing" while riding. If the call requires more attention than I can give while driving I either pull over at a safe spot or call the other party back in a few minutes when I can safely stop.

Those who blame cellphones for the problems instead of the person, seem to be the same ones who blame guns for shooting deaths instead of the person firing the gun (or people not properly securing weapons away from children). Personal choice and personal RESPONSIBILITY (instead of the "it's not may fault" attitude) are what this should be based on, NOT more unenforceable laws.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
WARNING - POTENTIAL THREAD HEIST

PoleCat said:
That brings up an interesting if totally unrelated question in my mind. Indiana (and many other states) have laws banning open alcoholic beverage containers in most motor vehicles (exceptions being limosines, buses, motor homes, etc., so the well to do aren't kept from their fun).

I wonder what the law would have to say about me riding my Goldwing with an open, clearly labeled long neck beer bottle in my cup holder. Obviously, if I'm legally intoxicated, there's a problem. I'm more curious as to the legality of it when I'm not over any limit. Any LEO's or attorneys with the answer out there?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Until recently I never said too much about folks talking on cellphones. I assumed if I could multitask while driving, anyone could. Well today I know better. Many drivers should not be allowed to chew gum while operating a vehicle.

I totally agree that it should be an individual responsibility issue. So should being a good, qualified, skilled driver. Most aren't! Shoot how many motorcyclists have even taken a beginner rider course? Maybe half! Probably not!

Do you ever wonder how people lived with out cell phones? What did companies do to keep in touch with those key employees who dared go on vacation?

Or how families ever got in touch with loved ones so everyone could respond to the crash site where Aunt Momo just hit a tree? Why cousin Billy might miss the call and not get to stand with us in the rain while the car is pulled from the tree?

I was on call for 27 years 24/7. And it worked without a cellphone for most of that time. They called the house and I answered if I was home and went off to work. If I was not home, they asked my wife to have me call in and I did when I got the message(might be a couple days).

Now I work in auto parts and I have seen two guys have heart attacks in three years because they can't seperate business from life. And realize that we are selling car parts not something that deals with life.

Years ago when I was in the Army, I taught my wife that no news is good news and to not worry unless someone told her something worth worrying about. It was tough but she learned. Now she knows my cellphone is off unless I need to make a call. But she also knows that I do check my messages a couple times a day.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
k7lvo said:
ytownmac said:
Have you ever heard of personal responsibility? (Rhetorical question. Obviously you haven't! :roll: ) Here's a flash for you: It's the driver that causes the problem, not the cellphone, coffee, or ___________.
Give me a break.
Why?!?!?!

(Who/what did you blame for your last wreck?)

:roll: Oh, yeah: With all the accidents involving motorcycles, can you believe that there is even a market for motorcycles??? :roll:
Well I can see that I've opened a real can of worms here.

For K7lvo,

You know nothing about my personal responsibility. BTW I,ve been riding and driving for over 40 years and have never had an accident. So I have nobody to blame.
I do feel very fortunate.

I agree with all of you that there are many distractions that take our attention from the road and therefore are dangerous. The problem is that they are not just dangerous to the inattentive driver but to all the rest of us on the road. The accident statistics, regarding cell phone use while operating a motor vehicle, are evidence that not everyone can multitask as well as they thought they could. These same statistics could probably be applied to most distractions.

I don't disagree with those of you who say it is the driver, not the item of distraction, who's at fault. It is, after all, our brain, when disengaged, that's the problem.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Bulldog said:
... My cell phone is not the way to get in touch with me. You can call it, and when I am ready, I will retrieve the messages and get back to you, if that is what you want.
Yes. However our phone will still be off, so just leave a message. When we're ready we'll retrieve it and give you another call. :wink:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts