GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article talks about the comparison between drivihng drunk and on cell phone. I find it scary as a bike rider that none of the test drivers who were drinking rear-ended the pace car but THREE of those on cell phones rear-ended the pace car.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2295425

Here are a couple of quick quotes from the article

A student at the University of Utah talks on a hands-free cell phone while operating a high-tech driving simulator, which was used during a University of Utah study that found motorists who talk on cell phones while driving are as impaired as drivers with blood-alcohol levels at the legal limit of 0.08 percent.
Cell phones versus drinking
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A study using driving simulators compared undistracted drivers - those who were not talking on a cell phone behind the wheel or drinking alcohol - with motorists using a cell phone or drinking.

Motorists who talked on either hand-held or hands-free cell phones:
• Drove slightly slower than undistracted drivers.
• Were slower to hit the brakes than undistracted drivers.
• Were more likely to vary their following distance from the vehicle ahead than undistracted drivers.
• Were slower to resume normal speed after braking than undistracted drivers.

Three cell phone users rear-ended the pace car.

Drivers who had a blood-alcohol level of 0.08:
• Drove more slowly and aggressively than undistracted drivers and drivers using cell phones.
• Followed the pace car more closely than undistracted drivers.
• Hit their brakes with more force than undistracted drivers.
• Waited longer to hit the brakes than undistracted drivers.

None of the drinking drivers or undistracted drivers rear-ended the pace car.

Source: University of Utah research

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Meaningless drivel. :roll:

Maybe the person driving the car is responsible for its safe operation? Oh wait.....!! Why take any sort of personal responsibility when we can blame it on something else. Yeah, that's the ticket!! :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Drivers using cell phones can be as impaired as an intoxicated driver.

Whether they are safe or not depends on how they are used.

The phones can be used safely... it just depends on the user.

It is hard to argue for intoxication and driving being safe under any circumstances. None that I can think of.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
IMO. driving while yapping on the cell equals driving drunk in terms of irresponsible behavior. The only difference is that it's easy to statistically quantify the blood alcohol content of drivers but it's not yet possible to apply numbers to stupidity.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Cell-phone users who claim they can talk and drive at the same time remind of me of the people who claim they are better drivers when they've had a drink or two.
I know two guys who used to give their spiel about "multi-tasking" and then hit somebody in the ass while driving and yapping.
As Click and Clack say, "Drive now, talk later".

·
Registered
488 Posts
Plus, you never see a drunk driver wreck and then immediately get another drink. But, when a driver wrecks who was using a cell phone, the first thing they then do is use the cell phone again.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Smitty said:
Cell-phone users who claim they can talk and drive at the same time remind of me of the people who claim they are better drivers when they've had a drink or two.
I know two guys who used to give their spiel about "multi-tasking" and then hit somebody in the ass while driving and yapping.
As Click and Clack say, "Drive now, talk later".
BINGO!!! Thank You!!!!
Some can "Multitask" just like some can drink and drive.. Good point!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Lucky has it right. What difference does it make what the distraction is. Why are cell phones or drinking any worse than putting on make up, or slapping the kids in the back seat, or reading the paper? It use to be about personal responsibility, but now it's always something else. It's not my fault. The booze made me do it. I've been hit five times in my life. Each one was by a girl from 16 to 30 years old. All were sober and cell phones hadn't been invented yet. From my perspective we should make women wait till they are thirty to drive. But that sure wouldn't fly. :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky 777 said:
Meaningless drivel. :roll:
Science tends to be meaningless drivel to some.

Personally, I think that THREE drivers on cell phones rear-ending the pace car versus NONE who were drinking is more than meaningless drivel.

In my drivel-filled mind that information tells me that cell phones may distract the brain differently -- and more dnagerously -- than the adverse affects that alcohol have.

But hey, I was always an advocate for having tests for drivers to decide who can drive drunk and who cannot. I used to encourage the LEOs to catch bad drivers at the inspection stops as I covered one eye ... so I could see my way past the double and triple images ..........

Drivel on ... just don't drive behind me while you are on a cell phone.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
honestly i am amazed every time i see someone talking on a cell phone while driving, WHY IS IT STILL LEGAL ? maybe not enough accidents yet ?

those of u that think your driving skills are not affected by talking on the phone while driving are just unbelievable

IMO the sooner they make talking on the phone while driving illegal the better

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The people who cite other reasons for poor driving as a reason to keep using a cell phone while driving legal do not have logic on their side.

This is like justifying murder because people die from so many other things....smallpox, suicide, drugs, sleeping with married people... Who cares what other things distract drivers. Here is one that is easy to identify and stop. Let's do something rather than nothing. If we wait till we can do everything we will do nothing.

It may be true that you are really special and can drive while holding a summit conference with World Leaders. But we don't know that, and we don't have a good way to test it. The way we handle that in a society is that we usually use broad categories. For instance, many people would be better drivers at 14 than some people will be if they drive all their lives, but we still don't let people drive until they're 16. This may be personally inconvenient and even unfair to some people, but we do it this way because the perfect is the enemy of the good.

We are seeing right now in society what happens when you decide that the group must be perfectly fair to everybody, no matter what. You get a tangled mess of litigation and crime that is good for nobody.

·
Registered
270 Posts
cell phones

There are many studies that have been conducted, regarding the danger of cell phone use while driving, (http://www.drivenowchatlater.com/), for one. Read some of these personal accounts of lives lost due to cell phone use. If this don't break your heart, nothing will.

Many of those studies claim that talking on a cell phone, while driving, is much more dangerous than driving drunk. It's not the physical act of dialing, it's that lack of attention, that is the big problem. Therefore, head sets and handless operation does not help.

One could continue the passionate delusion that cell phones are not a distraction and keep ones head in the sand. After all, it's never us that's the problem.

People that think they can devote full attention to driving, while chatting on a cell phone, are only fooling themselves. The facts just don't back them up.

Of course I hold the drivers responsible for their actions, the drivers don't distract the cell phones.

It's all about the lack of the drivers attention not the phones.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Could the reason that there has been no realistic national legislative activity on this possibly be.... That the deep pockets of Verizon, Cingular, Sprint, etc. that already control the PSCs have prevented it?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I find that I can stop and get my cell phone out of the trunk without a problem at all, but where I like to ride "generally" more than half of the time there isn't a signal anyway, so it's better to just wait until the end of the day's ride to make a call.

With the vast majority of the cell phone users I see when I am riding it's a very safe assumption they are in a different universe anyway so I
always... ALWAYS get away from them. They are just way too dangerous.....

DaleC

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This has been discussed before, and I've posed this question before, and have never gotten a satisfactory answer. First, we must assume a truly hands free situation, where everything is voice activated, and you don't even have to look at anything or touch anything on the phone to make or answer your call. Now, once you are talking on the phone, why is that any more or less distracting than talking to another person riding in your car? As I also pointed out before, when talking to someone else in your car, it is very common to turn and look at them at least some of the time during the conversation. It would, therefore, seem even more distracting than a cellphone conversation.

Anybody got a good answer?

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
JMATANDEM said:
This has been discussed before, and I've posed this question before, and have never gotten a satisfactory answer. First, we must assume a truly hands free situation, where everything is voice activated, and you don't even have to look at anything or touch anything on the phone to make or answer your call. Now, once you are talking on the phone, why is that any more or less distracting than talking to another person riding in your car? As I also pointed out before, when talking to someone else in your car, it is very common to turn and look at them at least some of the time during the conversation. It would, therefore, seem even more distracting than a cellphone conversation.

plenty of good answers but unfortunatly just like seatbelts or helmets to many folks only choose to see what they want and ignore the rest, yes plenty of situations that can b more distracting than cell phones but cell phone distraction is happening far to often ,no one said other distractions while driving are a good thing, good luck to u JMATANDEM

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
JMATANDEM said:

Yes! If you are talking to someone else in the car that equals another set of eyes that might catch your inattentiveness. Plus it really is different talking on the phone than to a person next to you.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If the conversation you're having (on a phone or with someone in the car) is so important it's worth endangering your own and other people's lives maybe it's O.K. - otherwise SHUT-UP and drive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are talking to someone else in the car that equals another set of eyes that might catch your inattentiveness. Plus it really is different talking on the phone than to a person next to you.
Going to have to disagree with you on that one. They're the same. Whether the discussion is dangerous or not still depends on the driver.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Anybody know of a frequency scanner that'll drop the call from 50ft radius??

1 - 20 of 52 Posts