GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for increasing the visibility of a cell phone on the handlebars. I have an Airbag model, so putting the phone below the key is probably not a good solution. I was thinking about a RAM mount on the handlebars to keep the phone out of the way of an airbag deployment. I have Note II in an Otter box Defender case and the screen protector on the Otter box is very glossy, so I know I have to replace that. I read about some anti-glare screen protectors, but none of them had positive reviews. Other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for increasing the visibility of a cell phone on the handlebars. I have an Airbag model, so putting the phone below the key is probably not a good solution. I was thinking about a RAM mount on the handlebars to keep the phone out of the way of an airbag deployment. I have Note II in an Otter box Defender case and the screen protector on the Otter box is very glossy, so I know I have to replace that. I read about some anti-glare screen protectors, but none of them had positive reviews. Other suggestions?
I also have an airbag model and this is what I did.

In bright sunlight, it is still hard to see. I need to make a hood for it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Nice, moh58! That has me thinking. Could be dangerous. Is that the RAM ball with a male 1/4-20 thread? Does it just fit right in there replacing the oem windbender bolt?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Nice, moh58! That has me thinking. Could be dangerous. Is that the RAM ball with a male 1/4-20 thread? Does it just fit right in there replacing the oem windbender bolt?
Yes, it is the ram ball with the 1/4 stud, but no, it does not fit in the stock hole. The hole in the shield was large enough, but I had to drill and tap the rail to a larger size. I also had to cut down the length of the stud on the ball.
I've been running this setup for quite a while without any problems.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Understood. Thanks for the info. I might go there.

I was confused at first by your knurled knobs but now see that my clevis pins are obsolete. Sigh....

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Well, you know, motorcycle riding could be dangerous also. :lol: Hmmmm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
iPhone Mount

Hi All. I use a RAM X-Grip to hold my iPhone. Looks like a big X that is spring loaded with rubber ends that grip the phone. Mounts on a standard RAM Mount that I have on left and right sides. You can always use a RAM mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I use the old pocket or trunk trick when it comes to storing the cell phone.
That works too, but I have mine mounted where it is primarily for weather maps. The phone itself is irrelevant to me. I usually don't even turn bluetooth on.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mounts

I had not seen the EC mount. However, RAM has a glare shield mount that they market for airplanes that might mount the phone in about the same place. I had considered one of the X mounts, but it seemed like it would be hard to create a hood that would work with that mount.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi All. I use a RAM X-Grip to hold my iPhone. Looks like a big X that is spring loaded with rubber ends that grip the phone. Mounts on a standard RAM Mount that I have on left and right sides. You can always use a RAM mount.
Chris,

I am currently using a different universal holder from RAM but was wondering about the x-mount. Do you fell your phone is pretty secure in that? I worry about pot holes, bumps, etc. and my phone slipping to the road just before I run it over...:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
No Prob..

Chris,

I am currently using a different universal holder from RAM but was wondering about the x-mount. Do you fell your phone is pretty secure in that? I worry about pot holes, bumps, etc. and my phone slipping to the road just before I run it over...:)

I have used the exact setup for a trip from South Fla to CA to Glacier National Park and back. Then used it from South Fla to Prince Edward Island to Chicago and back...... Never had a problem, except make sure you don't lose the little rubber boots (4 of them), because that will cause problems. (suggest you use contact cement to hold the rubber boots in place!)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
X-Grip for me. 2 years and over 40,000 miles including some rough gravel roads with no problem. Very secure and can be used with or without a case.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally has a universal holder on the left handlebar, hit a por hole and phone went flying at 70MPH. I am now a firm believer in LIFEPROOF case and the X grip. The case saved my Galaxy phone with only a scratch to the case, phone still works perfectly. The X grip holds phone securely, and you can run power cord and 3.5mm cord for audio if you like. Very happy with this set up.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Personally I stick it in a jacket pocket or the trunk so it can't bother me.

I realize that you want the phone for other uses but with "distracted driving" being such an issue today and cause of crashes, I wonder if the new laws that the various states are passing about phone usage might put you into a tricky situation. What is the difference between texting and looking at the screen or worse doing something to the screen to adjust the map? Either way you are doing it to a phone and that is what the law is about.

I don't know, just thinking about what I read in the thread, and what could happen in court.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to try the RAM X-grip mount and see how it works for me. I'm going to try the long arm so I can get it a little closer to my line of sight.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I use the ram clutch/brake mounts with a modified car dock for my RAZR and specific RAM mount for my GPS. Glare an occasional issue, so I'm buying Glare Stompers for each. They are collapsible soft design and attach with Velcro making a hood that can be folded down if it rains. I think they'll be safer than the snap on hard plastic blade type sun shields that also seem to provide less shielding from the sun.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glare stompers

I use the ram clutch/brake mounts with a modified car dock for my RAZR and specific RAM mount for my GPS. Glare an occasional issue, so I'm buying Glare Stompers for each. They are collapsible soft design and attach with Velcro making a hood that can be folded down if it rains. I think they'll be safer than the snap on hard plastic blade type sun shields that also seem to provide less shielding from the sun.
So has anyone tried to use a Glare Stomper with a RAM X-Grip holder?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had to google your phone and the docks available for it, my RAZR Maxx has a full body car dock and so does my GPS RAM mount bracket. I think the Glare Stomper requires the Velcro be positioned on the edge of the phone/GPS and I plan to adhere to the dock and bracket. I think you could Velcro to the otter box, then trap the phone and shield in the X-Grip. I have an X-grip for my scanner and CB its a nice unit and grips about anything short of a brick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts