GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be going to the states on vacation and I would like to get a cell phone that will work across the state. What would be the best buy and trow out phone.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Last year I rode with a couple of rider from Saskatchawan and one of them purchased a cell phone from the 1st Walmart he came to in the U.S. It took one day to activate after he bought it so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Up until 4 months ago I had never owned a phone since I moved out of my parents 30 yrs ago. I asked this question on another forum and several recommended Tracfone. I bought a Tracfone for around $10, then paid $20 for whatever service time it would buy and Tracfone I think doubles that plus adds more minutes on top of that. Make a boring story condensed I got like 150 minutes for the $20. I still hate phones and don't know how to even dial hardly, but so far it has worked fine. I got $30 tied up and it does all I need just fine.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You can go to any Walmart or 7-11 convenience store and walk out with a working phone for less than $50. It seems to me that through out the Southwest ATT has the best coverage and through out the Northeast Verizon has the best coverage. Not sure about Tracphone or any of the other smaller providers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Phone

Yep, get a cheap Tracfone. Use till your done and chunk it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out Boost Mobile. The coverage must be pretty dependable because they are the top choice among drug smugglers. ;) It's another pay as you go service. When you're done throw it away. I think Motorolla makes the equipment.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I might be going to the states on vacation and I would like to get a cell phone that will work across the state. What would be the best buy and trow out phone.
if u already have a cell phone in Canada u might be able to add US cell coverage for your trip, i have Verzon and it costs about $20 to add Canada, if i ever go to Alaska again i will add Canada to my plan for that month

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
You current provider can probably sell you a temporary US package which you can cancel when you get home.

It may be similar priced and you can use your current hardware.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
We have AT&T here. I used to work in Mexico City,Mexico for 2 years as a Consultant for Corona Beer. We added INTERNATIONAL calling to MY phone and NO PROBLEMS other than pricey. Most months my bill was at least $1200.00 for just my calls but was paid for by Grupo Modelo as I was mainly calling for them to set things up. Cancelled when I left. Just a llittle different dialing sequence.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
A lot of convience stores in the U.S. sell phones and phone cards. Buy a tracphone or a large name phone at the 1st convience store you come across and you will probably be able to get minute cards at any convience store you ride by while in the U.S.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You may just need to buy a pre-paid sim card. It really depends on whether your carrier in Canada locks your phone to them. Some countries do not allow that practice. Just picked up a cheapie phone in Singapore that allows me to change sims for different countries.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've got an unlocked phone bought through Amazon and a SIM card from Brightroam.com. The phone cost $35 and the one time SIM cost $29 and $.29 cents per minute used. Each year of service costs an additional $20.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts