GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...have 23,000 miles on the bike.... I know that if the bike is moving and you turn the center ignition switch it does not turn off the bike so from day one I got into the habit to delay turning off the bike to ensure the switch works and does not leave the bike on to kill a battery...However over the last 2,000 miles I have noticed that it now takes three twists of the center ignition switch to get the bike to turn off...

Any thoughts?...is the switch wearing out...I would not think so but it is a new model for Honda...???

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long do you hold it in the 'off' position?

Not sure but I would think not long...I will test this week trying various times...Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I hold my switch until that Goldwing splash screen comes on to make sure it is off.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I hold my switch until that Goldwing splash screen comes on to make sure it is off.
Me too.

I suspect that this process also results in holding it long enough that the rear isn't turning....although I usually also have it resting on the side stand before I shut it off.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I switch the radio to speakers when I get parked turning clockwise to go to ACC. When I leave the bike, only a single twist counter-clockwise and all is off and another twist to lock the fork. If the music stops, it is off and a single beep for locked. That is the one item on the ignition that I do like.... go from ACC to off without flashing through "On". The one that bugs me is having to twist clockwise 4, 5, 6, or 7 times to go from "Lock" to ACC when I come back to the bike. That should only take 3 at the most: 1 - lock to unlock; 2 - On; 3 - ACC.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I switch the radio to speakers when I get parked turning clockwise to go to ACC. When I leave the bike, only a single twist counter-clockwise and all is off and another twist to lock the fork. If the music stops, it is off and a single beep for locked. That is the one item on the ignition that I do like.... go from ACC to off without flashing through "On". The one that bugs me is having to twist clockwise 4, 5, 6, or 7 times to go from "Lock" to ACC when I come back to the bike. That should only take 3 at the most: 1 - lock to unlock; 2 - On; 3 - ACC.
I've never had to twist the ignition switch 4, 5, 6, or 7 times to go from Lock to ACC. It has only taken 3; Lock to unlock, unlock to On, and On to ACC.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've never had to twist the ignition switch 4, 5, 6, or 7 times to go from Lock to ACC. It has only taken 3; Lock to unlock, unlock to On, and On to ACC.

:doorag:[/QUOTE
Ditto

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ok...have 23,000 miles on the bike.... I know that if the bike is moving and you turn the center ignition switch it does not turn off the bike so from day one I got into the habit to delay turning off the bike to ensure the switch works and does not leave the bike on to kill a battery...However over the last 2,000 miles I have noticed that it now takes three twists of the center ignition switch to get the bike to turn off...

Any thoughts?...is the switch wearing out...I would not think so but it is a new model for Honda...???
Lab Rider, any extra electrical accessories added to the bike like GPS or Ipod or something? I have noticed that my new trike with the Ipod plugged in it will take just a smidge longer to turn off the bike with the switch. My theory on this is that the Ipod is keeping the "Buss" system alive just a little bit longer with the Ipod battery in the system. This may not be the case but the switch is instant off with the Ipod removed, to keep me from making a mistake and draining my battery I moved my music to a flash drive, it has no battery and don't cause the switch delay.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ok...have 23,000 miles on the bike.... I know that if the bike is moving and you turn the center ignition switch it does not turn off the bike

IT DOES TURN OFF THE BIKE WHILE RIDING IF YOU TURN IT TO THE LEFT.
I thought I was using the joystick to zoom the GPS and turned the ignition switch by mistake and it did kill the bike.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
IT DOES TURN OFF THE BIKE WHILE RIDING IF YOU TURN IT TO THE LEFT.
I thought I was using the joystick to zoom the GPS and turned the ignition switch by mistake and it did kill the bike.

Well, sort of, kind of; but not exactly. If you are underway and turn the ignition switch to off, the engine drops to slow idle as effected by engine braking. The bike idles down through the gears very smoothly and when it comes to a stop, then the engine dies.

prs

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Well, sort of, kind of; but not exactly. If you are underway and turn the ignition switch to off, the engine drops to slow idle as effected by engine braking. The bike idles down through the gears very smoothly and when it comes to a stop, then the engine dies.

prs
Have you also tried the 'kill' switch?

Does it create the same stop cycle?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I have to admit, that I do not recall if I did that or not. Go out and give it a go. I posted the result of my trials a couple of months or so ago, but I really do not recall that detail.

prs

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I did test the kill switch in a slow speed "kill" yesterday and forgot to report. In 3rd at 25 mph I used the "kill" switch. Bike went to slow idle, DCT shifted to 2nd, BUT then disengaged and motor went dead. I repeated that to verify. I forgot to test later at cruise speeds. Previously, weeks ago, I tested with the ignition knob at cruise speed and it stayed in gear, downshifting smoothly, to a stop and then engine turned off and went to N.

prs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts