GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I have owned 10 motorcycles over the past 45 years.
I have had them in small, medium size, and large bikes. I even had a GL1800 2015 Anniversary model, that had been converted in a TRIO front end (2 wheels in the front, stock saddlebags and wheel/tire in the rear.) I had no problems getting that Wing up on its center stand!
But I have NEVER encountered a center stand that is as impossible to use as my new 2021 DCT Tour model!
Even with the wife's help, most of the time we cannot get this new Wing on the center stand!
We know the drill, but it just refuses to go up!
I checked with Phil's Farkles too, his center stand helper will not work with the 2018' and up! (wonder why?)
Anyone have some helpful hints or insight about this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The tour dct is easy. Want to see hard, try an Africa Twin dct.

·
Registered
452 Posts

My '19 DCT Tour is the first bike I've owned that has a center stand. I watched this video and was able to do it first shot. Have had the bike up and down quite a few times since without a problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I have owned 10 motorcycles over the past 45 years.
I have had them in small, medium size, and large bikes. I even had a GL1800 2015 Anniversary model, that had been converted in a TRIO front end (2 wheels in the front, stock saddlebags and wheel/tire in the rear.) I had no problems getting that Wing up on its center stand!
But I have NEVER encountered a center stand that is as impossible to use as my new 2021 DCT Tour model!
Even with the wife's help, most of the time we cannot get this new Wing on the center stand!
I checked with Phil's Farkles too, his center stand helper will not work with the 2018' and up! (wonder why?)
I agree with you....I have only been able to get the bike on its venter stand without help once. I actually injured my ankle trying a few months back. I only weigh 185 lbs so maybe heavier people can step down with an extra 50 or 75lbs and its easier...not sure but it's about impossible for me as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Roll the rear tire onto a board of any size, even 1/2", but better a 1X. You'll have no trouble getting it on the center stand.
Now that's a great idea! I will try that next time. I get how the leverage is greater that way by quite a bit. thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
It’s not about body weight, it’s about technique. Very easy to put this bike on a center stand. Here is another video of his that shows technique over body weight.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I regularly use my flip flops to easily lift my Wing up on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
411 Posts
Hairball is correct, it is a combination of lift with right hand and push down on right foot. Place center stand down to floor, make sure both sides are flat on the ground. If you use flip flops like Zirth make sure your flip flops and the center stand are dry. (don't ask) Once both centerstand feet are squarely down on the floor reach to the passenger handgrips with the right hand and lift simultaneously pushing down with your right foot. Bada Bing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I weigh 185 and have a 2012 not sure of the difference between the 2012 and the 2021 but the trick is make sure your front wheel is exacty straight then put the center stand down making sure that both feet of the center stand is touching the ground. once both feet are touching just a little step down and pick up on the rear passenger handle and pull back on the handlebar and boom comes up easy. I actually had to watch a video on how to do it though because without the video I couldnt get that thing up to save my life.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
After putting a 2015 Wing on its center stand for a few years, the first time I put the 2018 on its center stand I actually slide the motorcycle back on the concrete an inch or two and it scared the hell out of me. Of the 3 Wings I've had with center stands, the 2018+ is by far the easiest to maneuver.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Number one item. Make sure you don't have the parking brake on. Otherwise it ain't rolling and going up on stand.

I've forgotten to take the brake off a few times, quickly realize the error of my ways...

Reactions: Gary Judnic

·
Registered
452 Posts
Another thing from the videos that works is turning the bars to the right when you take the bike down off the center stand. Pull it down and it comes right towards you, put the side stand down and you're done. Easy peasy :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Not the new bike but I thought I was just getting old until I serviced the centre stand....plenty of grease on the stand pivots and what a difference in the ease of lifting. You could give it a skoosh with oil meantime and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
52 Posts
I have to admit I struggled the first few times I tried getting my '19 Tour on its centerstand but after watching the first of the two videos posted above it was easy. I do have to watch how I position my foot on the stand as I busted a few bones right under two toes a few years back that never healed properly. However, after getting the bike OFF its stand a few times - I started losing the bike to the right and decided to try sitting on the bike - as I do with a Burgman 400 scoooter (just always did it that way). Problem solved. Anyone that has any qualms about getting the bike off the stand should do as I do - just sit on the bike and you will find it easily slides off the centerstand with you in complete control. It works better for me than standing alongside it. I realize the video covers this issue by saying to point the wheel right so the bike falls into you but try this once - you may be more comfortable with it - I am.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have to admit I struggled the first few times I tried getting my '19 Tour on its centerstand but after watching the first of the two videos posted above it was easy. I do have to watch how I position my foot on the stand as I busted a few bones right under two toes a few years back that never healed properly. However, after getting the bike OFF its stand a few times - I started losing the bike to the right and decided to try sitting on the bike - as I do with a Burgman 400 scoooter (just always did it that way). Problem solved. Anyone that has any qualms about getting the bike off the stand should do as I do - just sit on the bike and you will find it easily slides off the centerstand with you in complete control. It works better for me than standing alongside it. I realize the video covers this issue by saying to point the wheel right so the bike falls into you but try this once - you may be more comfortable with it - I am.
I have a 2019 tour also. One thing I did was change out the passenger grab rails to the tall 2020 style rails. Now I can actually grab the rail and wrap my hand around it instead of just having my fingers kind of under it. Makes me feel a LOT safer pulling it down from the side, and they do make getting it up on the stand a bit easier too.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I have not read the replies above. Make sure you are in neutral. Tires properly inflated. Max and Cruiseman both have youtubes on this and both are smaller/lighter men. If the routine does not work, park with front and rear tires on 3/4" plywood squares or such and it should hop up way easy. Since you know the routine, I will not mention using your weight on the jiffy stand to do the work as your arms steady the bike on BOTH stand feet.

prs

1 - 20 of 71 Posts