GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 2019 tour also. One thing I did was change out the passenger grab rails to the tall 2020 style rails. Now I can actually grab the rail and wrap my hand around it instead of just having my fingers kind of under it. Makes me feel a LOT safer pulling it down from the side, and they do make getting it up on the stand a bit easier too.
I also changed out my 2018 grab rails for the much larger and open 2020 style from Honda - helps a lot. Another simple thing that helps, or at least makes you feel safer as FL_19 GL1800D says, is to stick a piece of that anti-slip material on the center stand where your foot goes. I bought mine from traxxion, but you can buy the material at hardware stores like Home Depot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Number one item. Make sure you don't have the parking brake on. Otherwise it ain't rolling and going up on stand.

I've forgotten to take the brake off a few times, quickly realize the error of my ways...
Hmm, the parking brake only locks the rear wheel right? As soon as you press down on the center stand, the rear wheel rises up in the air so it should not matter if it's locked or not. I can get my 2018 MT up on the stand when it's in gear no problem.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I thought I was the only one who had difficulty with the center stand. I have reviewed some of the videos and have actually practiced. I can get it most of the time. I wonder since your bike is very new that may be a factor in your difficulty. I would just practice......

·
Registered
289 Posts
Another trick no one mentioned, but I found makes it MUCH easier to get bike on center stand: Set the electric suspension (preload) setting to "2 people + luggage". This raises the rear of bike just enough to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am 5-7 two artificial hips and find my 18 very easy to put on the center stand if I roll the rear tire on a 3/4 inch
board.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think its natural to fear that the bike will fall away from you and therefore without realising it you have the bike slightly leaning towards you. This prevents even weight distribution on the stand feet.. Also there is a tendency to pull the bar slightly taking the wheel to the left . These 2 things will make it difficult to raise the bike. Heaving the bike with weight bearing down on the foot that is on the ground is wasted effort. All your weight must be on the centre stand, ie the other foot must be off the ground.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do the board thing and the suspension at max. The board I use is also used as a kick stand pad. It's about 3"x3"x1" and I added a bright colored paracord leash so it won't be forgotten and no bending over to pick it up.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I have my wife help me get the bike up on ctr stand............

Reactions: Art H.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I don't know what's going on with the center-stand. It's natural for people to assume that, because they can do it, you must be doing something wrong. I don't know if that's the case. I've been using center-stands for 60 years, and I didn't have a problem with my DCT's center-stand for a long time, but then, all of a sudden I simply couldn't rotate the bike up onto it. (I actually tore my right calf muscle right down the middle trying to pull the bike up.) It was as though the curve on the center-stand bottom wasn't hitting the ground in the right place. Sometimes if I moved the bike a couple of feet forward, it would go right up, but then moving it back--same level driveway--it again became impossible). I tried setting the suspension at max height and using a board. Neither option helped.

I finally replaced the stock center-stand with a ride-off. That has an additional advantage in that it makes a very stable platform when my wife mounts the bike, but it has two disadvantages, though: I can't rotate the rear wheel to add air; and it's very difficult to turn the front wheel as it's on the ground when the bike's on the ride-off.

I've unsuccessfully tried to figure out what's going on with the center-stand geometry that allows it to work sometimes but not others, but there is more to this problem than just "you're not doing it right."

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
50 Posts
I'm so glad to see other people have various problems.

I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs and reasonably healthy. After righting the bike up on BOTH the centerstand feet, I cannot "easily" put the bike on the centerstand by "simply" putting all my weight on the centerstand and lifting on the handrail...Even when the bike is on a rear downward slope in my garage it's a fight and I DON'T do it with flipflops on.

I added a used centerstand with all new hardware to my 2016 F6B "Standard." I did NOT grease anything and nothing looked bent or out of alignment. Maybe grease would help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are a lot of suggestions here that are not very practical I don't carry a board around with me nor does my wife travel with me so those things do not help I too don't seem to have the coordination needed to comfortably put a bike on a center stand. I had a ride off stand on my 2004 Wing and I put it on the stand while astride the bike with no problem. When you want to leave, just jump on and ride away. It also allows you to get aboard if you have a bad leg or something like that as you can stand on the foot peg and swing your leg over. If you need to get the wheels off the ground for maintenance, then put it on the stand and tip it enough to slip a board under the stand on each side. I just had my dealer offer to give me a center stand, off a trike conversion, when he adds the rest of my extras before my delivery. I thanked him but asked him to just put the ride off on it. The only precautions are to always have the bike level or facing up an incline and be careful on dirt so as to have the rear wheel firmly touching the ground. If you take off too aggressively with no firm contact, the wheel will spin.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am 5' 7" and weight 160lbs, I can get my 2020 DCT Tour on the center stand no problem. Much easier than my 2005 Wing. I also sit on the bike to take it off of the center stand as I feel as I have more control than standing beside it. Not to sound like an expert, but I too think it is a technique problem. Are you standing as close to the bike as you can before stepping on the center stand? It makes a world of difference in leverage if you are close vs out away from the bike.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
411 Posts
Wow- I've never taken my 2020 DCT or my 2014 F6 off center stand, off the bike. I always sit on the bike and rock it off. It feels more secure and stable. Like Jimmy said!

Side note- sailors usually don't have good coordination due to sea legs!:ROFLMAO:

Those of you still finding it difficult to get it on the center stand practice,practice,practice, once you shift your weight to the right leg and lift simultaneously you will find how easy it is (that's for you 6'3" 240 lbs). Get mad and Buck up and say your can do it! Don't take the task lightly. Those of you that use a board, I'm going assume you never use your centerstand away from home, bummer! Imagining pulling up in Sturgis this guy gets off his bike, 200 Harley Riders watching. You open your trunk get out your little board and place it under your tire. They would just bust out laughing!:ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know what's going on with the center-stand. It's natural for people to assume that, because they can do it, you must be doing something wrong. I don't know if that's the case. I've been using center-stands for 60 years, and I didn't have a problem with my DCT's center-stand for a long time, but then, all of a sudden I simply couldn't rotate the bike up onto it. (I actually tore my right calf muscle right down the middle trying to pull the bike up.) It was as though the curve on the center-stand bottom wasn't hitting the ground in the right place. Sometimes if I moved the bike a couple of feet forward, it would go right up, but then moving it back--same level driveway--it again became impossible). I tried setting the suspension at max height and using a board. Neither option helped.

I finally replaced the stock center-stand with a ride-off. That has an additional advantage in that it makes a very stable platform when my wife mounts the bike, and it has two disadvantages, though: I can't rotate the rear wheel to add air; and it's very difficult to turn the front wheel as it's on the ground when the bike's on the ride-off.

I've unsuccessfully tried to figure out what's going on with the center-stand geometry that allows it to work sometimes but not others, but there is more to this problem than just "you're not doing it right."
gkarasik, thanks so much for that post. That is what I really wanted to write but could not figure out exactly how to say it. You said it for me (y) . I haven't torn anything (yet), and I still have the stock stand. However, I have run into this bizarre behavior where in one location it flips right up on the stand yet in another (similar) location, it is like you are trying to lift a mule a foot in the air. I thought it might just be from getting older, but I am glad to know it is not just me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow- I've never taken my 2020 DCT or my 2014 F6 off center stand, off the bike. I always sit on the bike and rock it off. It feels more secure and stable. Like Jimmy said!

Side note- sailors usually don't have good coordination due to sea legs!:ROFLMAO:

Those of you still finding it difficult to get it on the center stand practice,practice,practice, once you shift your weight to the right leg and lift simultaneously you will find how easy it is (that's for you 6'3" 240 lbs). Get mad and Buck up and say your can do it! Don't take the task lightly. Those of you that use a board, I'm going assume you never use your centerstand away from home, bummer! Imagining pulling up in Sturgis this guy gets off his bike, 200 Harley Riders watching. You open your truck get out your little board and place it under your tire. They would just bust out laughing!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
True, but you could of course just use the side stand.

Yes, practice helps - it's all about technique. And definitely lube the center stand shaft (Honda doesn't do it from the factory).

If any Harley rider laughed at me regarding center stand issues, I would as how they get on with their center stands! And how they get on changing out a rear wheel etc.

BTW, I had a ride-off stand on my GL1500 and it was really good. Just haven't bothered with one on my 2019. Definitely worth considering though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

My '19 DCT Tour is the first bike I've owned that has a center stand. I watched this video and was able to do it first shot. Have had the bike up and down quite a few times since without a problem.

I really, really hate Max for being able to do this soooo easily. ;) ;) ;) And he's no monster. If anything, he is a bit on the smaller side. I'm smaller than he is. 5' 7". I weigh 165 - 170. Fit as a fiddle. I SHOULD be able to do this easily.

I still struggle with this. As PigeonBoy says up above, I do use the wooden plank. Only thing, I don't travel with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My last two bikes, a Moto Guzzi 1200 Stelvio and a Tiger 800 were not as heavy, but HARDER to get up on the centerstand than my non-tour. I’m convinced it’s more a matter of technique and where the centerstand is mounted on the bike. If the centerstand was installed an inch or two rearward (I think) of where it is now, the fulcrum point would make it easier to rotate the bike up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I have owned 10 motorcycles over the past 45 years.
I have had them in small, medium size, and large bikes. I even had a GL1800 2015 Anniversary model, that had been converted in a TRIO front end (2 wheels in the front, stock saddlebags and wheel/tire in the rear.) I had no problems getting that Wing up on its center stand!
But I have NEVER encountered a center stand that is as impossible to use as my new 2021 DCT Tour model!
Even with the wife's help, most of the time we cannot get this new Wing on the center stand!
We know the drill, but it just refuses to go up!
I checked with Phil's Farkles too, his center stand helper will not work with the 2018' and up! (wonder why?)
Anyone have some helpful hints or insight about this?
The rear grab handle on the pre 2021 wings suck but saying that I find it easier to put my 2018 on the center stand than my 2012.
It is mostly technique that gets the bike on the center stand. Practice makes perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 71 Posts