GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Most of the time when people struggle it is because they are focussing too much on the lift part and not enough on trying to push their foot through the floor. Also a little backward bias on the lift will help.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Most of the time when people struggle it is because they are focussing too much on the lift part and not enough on trying to push their foot through the floor. Also a little backward bias on the lift will help.
I appreciate that people are trying to help and that they think they understand the problem, but on my flat, concrete driveway, I can not put Goldey on the centerstand in one spot while I can put Goldey on the centerstand if I move the bike three feet forward. The driveway appears to be the same in both spots, and I am using the same technique in both spots. I have no idea what is causing this, but it is more than a problem with technique.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,333 Posts
I appreciate that people are trying to help and that they think they understand the problem, but on my flat, concrete driveway, I can not put Goldey on the centerstand in one spot while I can put Goldey on the centerstand if I move the bike three feet forward. The driveway appears to be the same in both spots, and I am using the same technique in both spots. I have no idea what is causing this, but it is more than a problem with technique.
It's that micro black hole that resides under the driveway, at that one spot. Localized gravity is 20% higher, there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I have owned 10 motorcycles over the past 45 years.
I have had them in small, medium size, and large bikes. I even had a GL1800 2015 Anniversary model, that had been converted in a TRIO front end (2 wheels in the front, stock saddlebags and wheel/tire in the rear.) I had no problems getting that Wing up on its center stand!
But I have NEVER encountered a center stand that is as impossible to use as my new 2021 DCT Tour model!
Even with the wife's help, most of the time we cannot get this new Wing on the center stand!
We know the drill, but it just refuses to go up!
I checked with Phil's Farkles too, his center stand helper will not work with the 2018' and up! (wonder why?)
Anyone have some helpful hints or insight about this?

1. Get bike vertical pushing from the left side.
2 Set the front wheel straight ahead.
3. Push down on the center stand....rock the bike side to side to feel that BOTH feet of the stand stop the rocking motion.
4. Push down on the stand with your right foot while your right hand is on the passenger grip and push down on the center stand and lift up at the passenger grip at the same time.
5. If it fails...try again....it does take practice.

It will take practice, but when I used the technique of rocking the motorcycle to center it on both feet of the stand....it made a world of difference.

Watch the you tube videos....like riding in certain situations it takes practice...and the center stand on the Goldwing is super compared to other makes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
With the bike on the side stand, I begin moving it to vertical off the side stand. At the same time I take my right foot and begin to push down lightly to ensure both legs of the center stand are contacting the pavement. This is critical as if you try to put it on the stand without both legs contacting it will be near impossible to hoist it up. I ensure the bike is in position to have both feet of the stand touching by lightly rocking the bike side to side while putting light pressure on the stand lever. Once this is done I simply apply all my weight pushing downward and lifting at the same time with my right hand on the passenger grab rail and left on the handle bar and up it goes no problem.

In text form this seems very complicated but in reality it is extremely quick and easy once you get used to it. Again there is no forward or backward pulling of the bike just simply applying all my weight down words well pulling up words with my hands

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you are applying force to the stand lean into the bike and make sure your left foot is off the ground. Try and imagine the stand and the grab handle are like scissor handles that you are pulling apart. The stand should see your body weight plus the pulling force on the handle. Dont allow the front wheel to turn due to hand holding it . Max does a video of him doing it with two people on the bike - idiot thing to do - but proves little guys can do it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Even though I earlier said I had an easier time getting my bike up on the stand than previous bikes, I will ask my wife or a friend to help me if they are nearby. My aged back will curse me if I get too enthusiastic! At some point you learn there’s no shame in asking for help. The younger me was not so wise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2018 non-tour (maybe that lack of pillion seat/luggage rack helps due to reduced weight). But I don't use the side stand much at all. I just get off the bike and use the center stand straight away. It took some time to get comfortable doing that though -- like straddling the bike from the left with the side stand up (as you would get on to ride) and then doing the same on the right as an exercise to get comfortable balancing the bike. Once I got comfortable with the balance, I'm ok just getting off/on the bike without the side stand. I also tipped the bike over until it took effort to bring it back up -- to help me understand my limitations on how far this thing can fall and I can still comfortably/safely pick it up.

This confidence in balance helps me to check things like ensuring both center stand feet are on the ground and being able to stand on the center stand footrest with my other foot off the ground (this makes it easier to get enough leverage to get the bike up).

I do realize that if the bike is on a slight incline (front wheel higher), it's easier to get it up onto the center stand but harder to get it off. The opposite is also true. If getting the bike up onto the center stand is easier in different areas, I'd put a ball there and see which way it rolls (to detect inclines and rule out any optical illusions).

The other thing is I use the center stand a lot so I get a lot of practice. I'm 5'6" and about 180lbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts

My '19 DCT Tour is the first bike I've owned that has a center stand. I watched this video and was able to do it first shot. Have had the bike up and down quite a few times since without a problem.
A good video but it would be a lot better if Max built and electric/hydraulic center stand that we could upgrade our bikes with. I tore up my right leg at the end of last season putting it up on the center stand and I've had a lot of bikes, heavy ones like the BMW K1200 RS and this is by far and the Goldwing is far and away the most difficult to deal with. I'd buy a powered stand in a heartbeat if one was available.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I installed this and never looked back! 2018 GL1800 Power Park Center Stand
I put on one of these too. Replacing the spring is a bear, you will no longer be able to spin the rear wheel to air the tire, and the handlebars become much harder to turn when the bike is on the stand. The good news is that the bike becomes very stable--almost trike-like--and easy for pillions to mount, and riding on and off are easy to do. Well worth the trade-off IMO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Perhaps some one could make a "cheater Bar" that you can carry in the trunk. The idea is the bar would lock into place and give you a little more leverage while putting the bike on the stand.
I don't normally have any issues putting the bike onto the center stand. However there has been a couple of times I tried while on a trip with the bike fully loaded and the trailer attached, I could not use the center stand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm 5-5, 145 pounds and I've struggled getting my 2020 on the center stand. I watched the videos. I went to my garage, put the bike on the side stand, positioned the front wheel straight ahead, ensured both center stand feet were on the ground, put my right foot on the center stand tab, my right hand on the grab rail, my left hand on the left grip, stood up on the tab and the bike went on the center stand as easily as shown in the video. Eureka!! My problem was not making sure the front wheel was straight ahead. Standing on the side of the bike and "guessing" it's straight won't work. I got in front of the bike and made sure. Doing this, it was incredibly easy. Try it and report back.....

·
Registered
2021 Bagger DCT
39 Posts
Woo Hoo‼
Today I put my new bike on the centre stand for the first time. I have been diligently reading this thread over the last few days and it turned out to be a bit of a double edged sword - lots of good advice but also scary tales of woe from folks who are struggling.

I had my wife standing on the other side “spotting” in case things went wrong. I followed the advice (straight wheel and make sure both sides of stand are contacting the ground) A firm step and a simultaneous pull and up she went just like in the videos.

Practiced a couple of times to make sure the first one wasn’t a fluke. The advice given about the straight wheel and both centre stand feet being firmly in contact with the ground is the key. Also you can’t be tentative particularly with the footwork.

Proof that it happened attached 🤓

22B7BC40-A184-4EEA-920D-CE272BC0A810.jpeg

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The key to having the bike pop onto the centerstand is that when you push down on the pad, make sure that you are pushing absolutely vertically straight down.ANY angle will dramatically increase the effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Input from a newbie: I had the same experience on the sales floor when I tried to put the Wing on the centerstand - it seemed impossible. Between that experience a few weeks ago and getting a new bike home 2 days ago I'd watched the videos and read the advice in this thread and quickly got the hang of it. Things that helped: Making sure my foot was squarely placed on the centerstand footpad, making sure both centerstand feet were down, making sure the front wheel was pointed straight ahead, and properly timing the lift. For timing, I found it helpful to get both centerstand feet down, then put my weight on the centerstand and kind of rock the bike up and down by shifting my weight on and off (without lifting with my hand at all). I could then see what effect my weight was having and when and how hard to lift with my right hand on the left passenger grab rail. Thanks to all who gave advice - very helpful!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Pretend that you are trying to drive the center stand into the floor while you lift. Let the leg do the work.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Pretend that you are trying to drive the center stand into the floor while you lift. Let the leg do the work.
This and also, like one other said above, it is important to say “Bada Bing” at precisely the right moment as it begins or rise up onto the stand. Try it.....you’ll see.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts