GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I can tell you exactly what you're doing that's making this process so difficult because I was doing it too. While holding the center stand down with your right foot, allow the bike to lean away from you until you feel the right leg of the center stand touch the floor, then it will go right up. I was trying to get it up with the right leg of the CS not touching the floor. This makes the process impossible...

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
50 Posts
I'm going to repeat my earlier post...
I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs and reasonably healthy. After righting the bike up on BOTH the centerstand feet, I cannot "easily" put the bike on the centerstand by "simply" putting all my weight on the centerstand and lifting on the handrail...Even when the bike is on a rear downward slope in my garage it's a fight and I DON'T do it with flipflops on.

I added a used centerstand with all new hardware to my 2016 F6B "Standard." I did NOT grease anything and nothing looked bent or out of alignment. Maybe grease would help.
I'm doing everything right and still it's a fight. With the bike balanced on the left and right feet of the centerstand, I CANNOT move the bike up or back with all my 240lbs on the centerstand "peg" and easily lifting on the grab rail with my right hand and keeping the handle bars straight with my left hand.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts

I'm doing everything right and still it's a fight. With the bike balanced on the left and right feet of the centerstand, I CANNOT move the bike up or back with all my 240lbs on the centerstand "peg" and easily lifting on the grab rail with my right hand and keeping the handle bars straight with my left hand.
I appreciate the hints from all the people who are able to successfully work their centerstands. I have been lifting big bikes onto centerstands for many decades. For several years I was able to lift Goldey onto the centerstand (although it was never easy) until, one day I couldn't. I don't know what changed or why, but it became impossible, even with another guy lifting. I've replaced my OEM stand with a ride-off. I miss the ability to spin the rear wheel to inflate the tire, bit that's all I miss, and now it's very easy to get Goldey on (and off) the centerstand.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Putting your weight on the center stand is not the same as driving it into the ground with your foot while you lift. Just putting your weight on the stand will not give you the requsite force as you lift.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am 5' 7" and weight 160lbs, I can get my 2020 DCT Tour on the center stand no problem. Much easier than my 2005 Wing. I also sit on the bike to take it off of the center stand as I feel as I have more control than standing beside it. Not to sound like an expert, but I too think it is a technique problem. Are you standing as close to the bike as you can before stepping on the center stand? It makes a world of difference in leverage if you are close vs out away from the bike.

I'm also 5'7" and usually around 165 lbs. Despite watching several videos ( Max and others ) ( I hate those guys for doing it so easily......... ;) ;) ;) ) on how to get it up easily, it's still a bear for me although I can do it. It is UNQUESTIONABLY a technique problem. Using a board under the rear wheel makes it very easy.

FWIW, I find it WAAAY easier to get the bike down by sitting on it and rocking back and forth making sure l lean it slightly to the left with the sidestand already down..... just in case............

·
Administrator
3,906 Posts
Perhaps some one could make a "cheater Bar" that you can carry in the trunk. The idea is the bar would lock into place and give you a little more leverage while putting the bike on the stand.
I don't normally have any issues putting the bike onto the center stand. However there has been a couple of times I tried while on a trip with the bike fully loaded and the trailer attached, I could not use the center stand.
Ziptie, one of our forum members makes exactly what you are wanting. His name is Phillip, and he lives in the DFW area. I hope someone can remember his forum handle. When we had the Hobby Shop available on the forum one could contact him there, but that feature is no longer available.

Here is a link to a thread which discusses the E-Z lift. It mentions Googling for his website. I didn't know until now that he had a website.

Phil's Farkels EZ Lift | GL1800Riders Forums

Glen

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Ziptie hit the nail on the head.. All the advice above helps but there are people with injuries, old age, or are just in poor physical shape and it can be a bear. It's cheaper than a new stand, still gets the rear wheel OFF the ground for pressure checking, AND it works!
I guarantee my device will make the job easy for anyone who can put all their weight on one foot!. Here's a link to my solution.https://www.philsfarkels.com/gl-1800--helping-hand--1.html
Note--these will not work on 2018+.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After reading all the replies I decided to throw in my .02 cents. I'm 6 feet 150 lbs and have copd. I can usually get my 18 on the center stand with no problems. In fact it goes up very easy and I'm not a strong guy. Every now and then I can't do it and after a couple of tries I have to stop due to being out of breath. I too have watched the videos and know the mistakes I make when not being able to get the bike up. First having the front wheel PERFECTLY straight is critical. Second is getting your body as close to the bike as possible. Third and very important is have your right arm straight and locked when you grab the handle. That way when you push down with your leg you are also pulling up on the bike kinda like a jack. If your arm is bent and you are trying to "curl" the bike up it will be very difficult unless you have some great bicep strength. As far as the OP having problems on different parts of the driveway is driveways are not flat even though they appear to be. There is a slop to them for water drainage. Not to mention there are usually small dips here and there from floating the concrete. If you get your tire in one of those dips it's game over. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
572 Posts
As far as the OP having problems on different parts of the driveway is driveways are not flat even though they appear to be. There is a slop to them for water drainage. Not to mention there are usually small dips here and there from floating the concrete. If you get your tire in one of those dips it's game over. Hope this helps.
One thing I forgot to mention...DO NOT put the bike on the center stand on a sloped driveway with the rear wheel lower...it goes up VERY easily, but I almost couldn't get mine off, you end up having to push the bike uphill, and that doesn't work worth a crap on this bike...use the center stand on level ground only...

·
Registered
159 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention...DO NOT put the bike on the center stand on a sloped driveway with the rear wheel lower...it goes up VERY easily, but I almost couldn't get mine off, you end up having to push the bike uphill, and that doesn't work worth a crap on this bike...use the center stand on level ground only...
Absolutely agree with this. My driveway slopes downhill away from my garage door. With my 1500 (fitted with a ride-off stand), I used to back it just out of the garage and put it on the center stand for washing. It was easy enough to push it uphill and off that shortened stand. I did it once with the 2019 - never again!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts