GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the Goldwing DCT (without a trunk) come out of the show-floor with a center stand?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can tell you the Gold Wing Tour DCT Air Bag model comes with a center stand. Not sure about the other models.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Why build a bike without a center stand??????????????????

What are the advantages????? (except to make more money:frown2::frown2::frown2:)

Ronnie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why build a bike without a center stand??????????????????

What are the advantages????? (except to make more money:frown2::frown2::frown2:)

Ronnie
The base F6B didnt come with a centerstand either as do none of the base model 18+ Goldwings (i.e.e non Tour). Yes it's to save money and keep the MSRP down. Having said that, virtually no cruisers come with centerstands and dont even have an option for adding one.

Reactions: John Mark Cockrell

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The base F6B didnt come with a centerstand either as do none of the base model 18+ Goldwings (i.e.e non Tour). Yes it's to save money and keep the MSRP down. Having said that, virtually no cruisers come with centerstands and dont even have an option for adding one.
Interesting info here, (thank you) looks like, if and when, I'm looking at other bikes to ride, and purchase, that I will surely look or ask if it does indeed come with a C/Stand :laugh:

thanks again, for mentioning this, cause many of us may have miss that option.. 0:)

Ronnie

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Interesting info here, (thank you) looks like, if and when, I'm looking at other bikes to ride, and purchase, that I will surely look or ask if it does indeed come with a C/Stand :laugh:

thanks again, for mentioning this, cause many of us may have miss that option.. 0:)

Ronnie

Lots of bikes come without a centerstand, Harleys are among that group.:smile2:

·
Registered
616 Posts
My '18 DCT Tour is literally the first bike I've ever owned which has a centerstand. None of my previous seven Harleys had one, nor did the two Kawasaki's I owned in high school and college.

Now that I have one I understand just how incredibly useful they are!

·
Registered
470 Posts
My '18 DCT Tour is literally the first bike I've ever owned which has a centerstand. None of my previous seven Harleys had one, nor did the two Kawasaki's I owned in high school and college.

Now that I have one I understand just how incredibly useful they are!
Interesting. The Kawasaki's (at least the 440 LTD) should have had a center stand as it came with one from the factory. Possibly a previous owner removed them to increase ground clearance. I seem to recall on my late 70 Yamaha, the first thing to touch down was the center stand tang.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn’t come with a centerstand but i added one off of Amazon for about $120. First install on my bike.
That is a PITA.

STORY: I owned several RT/s with jugs going out to the sides like the Wing's engine. A guy told me once that if you should always park an RT on the center stand if you are gonna leave sitting there for a 'long' time; that is because, if you put it on the kickstand, the oil will drift off to the left (assuming there is gravity where ever you park it) and that when you go to start it again the right cylinder may be dry as bone.

I suppose the same physics dynamics apply to the Wing engine...and no, I don't have any proof, and no, do not know if this makes any sense.

I am at work, and its more fun writing potentially non-sensical stuff on the board than it is doing my work...:nerd:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That is a PITA.

STORY: I owned several RT/s with jugs going out to the sides like the Wing's engine. A guy told me once that if you should always park an RT on the center stand if you are gonna leave sitting there for a 'long' time; that is because, if you put it on the kickstand, the oil will drift off to the left (assuming there is gravity where ever you park it) and that when you go to start it again the right cylinder may be dry as bone.

I suppose the same physics dynamics apply to the Wing engine...and no, I don't have any proof, and no, do not know if this makes any sense.

I am at work, and its more fun writing potentially non-sensical stuff on the board than it is doing my work...:nerd:

If that was really a problem, then every bike with vertical cylinders would be in trouble! :nerd:

·
Registered
795 Posts
That is a PITA.

Nando,

I'm surprised since you say you owned several BMW RTs that you never left one of your boxer engine bikes on the sidestand for a few days, then fired it up and noticed a puff of blue smoke.

This is a common characteristic common in RTs and longitudinal 4-cylinder BMW K1200s. This trait was considered common and not a sign of something wrong with the bikes. My '81 R100RS did it, my '04 R1150RT did it, and even my '14 R1200RT did it (the latter, only if it sat for a week or more.)

All these bikes did it, the R1150/R1200 RTs did it from new, and all three bikes ran perfectly. The only oil the RTs burned was about 200ml (about 1 cup) between scheduled oil changes, the same amount of oil all my friends RTs burned.

Tim

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Counting all GL1800's as "one", and both GL500's as "one", I have had 8 different bikes and all but the 2005 M50 Suzuki Boulevard had center stands. I was amazed and disgusted when I discovered the Boulevard did not have one. There was a bunch of cussing going on in my garage upon that discovery. "I had to buy a stand for this ______ Bike before I can even do any _______ thing to this _______ bike! What ______ decided bikes did not need one?" I must say that putting a bike on a center stand attached to the bike is by far easier to put on a stand than doing that to a bike that does not have "it's own" using an external stand.

All had center stands:

1970 CL70 Honda (I think year is correct)
1972 CL100 Honda (I think year is correct)
1981? or '82? KZ440 Kawasaki (I forget exact year, searching with Google was no help)
1982 & '81 GL500 Honda Silverwing
2001,02,06,10, & 10 GL1800 Goldwing
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
2018 "ST1800" Goldwing (Tour)

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every bike? What if some do and some dont?
Just how many vertical jugs engines are there?

How do we know one way or another?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I found the ride on/ride off centerstand at wingstuff. You will need the Honda mounting hardware. Total was around $200. With reverse and centerstand (along with parking brake) I’ve found parking is much better and mounting/dismounting is a breeze. My rider loves it. No worries about tipover.

HTH

Joebillybob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts