GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused... I have always been on the bike to get it off of the center stand. :shock: Should I be standing beside the wing to take it off?

It seems to be safer if you can be on the seat. That being said, since I switched to my Diamond Big Boy seat, my feet don't have the same purchase while sitting on the seat; and, admittedly, it is more difficult. :oops:

What about the rest of you?

Boatner
:sw1:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Removing

I almost always sit on my bike when rolling it off the center stand. Just too much of a chance of it getting away from me when rolling it off while standing. Even if your feet at not firmly on the ground, still probably best to be sitting on the bike as your legs will proably be better at holding the bike up vs. using your arms/back if it gets to leaning to the right.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Just lock up the front brake, push off the stand, and slowly release the brake so the stand slowly retracts. Surely at least one foot reaches the ground!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My legs are not long enough to ride off the center stand... and it can be quite intimidating doing it off the bike.

I devised a method which works for me. Put the suspension adjuster to 25 ...helps raise the bike. Before I put the bike on the center stand I line up a jackstand on the right side of the bike with the right side engine guard... leveling the bike by hand and adjust the jackstand so the engine guard is about an inch above the top of the stand when the bike is straight up and level.

To get it off, put the bike in reverse so it can't roll away. Keep the side stand down, and from the right side of the bike push it off the center stand. If the bike gets away from you the side stand will prevent it from falling to the left and the jackstand will prevent if from falling to the right. If you don't have a jackstand an upside down bucket works as well.

It may be a little paranoid but it's better than that feeling when you get as you see your bike helplesly falling away out of control.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Reverse?

I would NOT put it in reverse when trying roll it off the center stand. That puts the wrong stress on the starter gears, and could potentially tear them up. Would seem that might not be covered under the warranty.

That said, I admit I do not have any problem rolling off the center stand, given that I use it in the safety of my garage. Any other time, I use the side stand. Just seems safer to park the bike that way when out in public. I am not eager to test out the idea that the bike will not lay all the way over, but will stop on the safety (crash) bars.

[/b]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: Reverse?

RetAF said:
I would NOT put it in reverse when trying roll it off the center stand. That puts the wrong stress on the starter gears, and could potentially tear them up. Would seem that might not be covered under the warranty.

That said, I admit I do not have any problem rolling off the center stand, given that I use it in the safety of my garage. Any other time, I use the side stand. Just seems safer to park the bike that way when out in public. I am not eager to test out the idea that the bike will not lay all the way over, but will stop on the safety (crash) bars.

[/b]
It seems to me if the gears are strong enough to move 1000+ lbs (with rider aboard) of motorcycle and then STOP the 1000+ lbs of momentum when you release the reverse button they're strong enough to withstand such a mild stress put on by coming off the centerstand. Having said that, if that's an issue for you, put the bike in gear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my two cents - but I just stand on the left side of the bike grab the left co-rider's grip with my right hand and the left handle bar grip with my left. Make sure the front wheel is pointing straight then push foward with just enough force to come off the center stand. Works great and to me it's easier than you might think - I've even done it this way on small up hill inclines. The bike comes of the center stand nice and easy.

Savage
'04 Goldwing w/ABS
'00 Valkyrie Tourer
'99 Valkyrie Standard
'94 Virago (Wife's ride)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree with Savage except I go a few steps further, additionaly I put the bike in gear an the sidestand down, when i push it off centerstand I just pull the bike toward me an it can not roll far enuff to fall of sidestand,works great for me.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
The simple way to get the Wing off of the centerstand is......Start the bike, place in second gear, raise rpm's to at least 3,000, let out clutch, then lean back in the seat real hard. You will shoot off of the centerstand quicker than you can say "Oh Shoot"! :D

When I don't feel like a real adventure, I just rock the bike forward while sitting on the seat. I am ready to grab a little front brake when it comes down. Smooth as silk.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Red said:
The simple way to get the Wing off of the centerstand is......Start the bike, place in second gear, raise rpm's to at least 3,000, let out clutch, then lean back in the seat real hard. You will shoot off of the centerstand quicker than you can say "Oh Shoot"! :D
Red, you're a HOOT !

Now you are making me want to try it ! :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts