GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you use the REVERSE to assist in placing the bike on the CENTER STND????

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Center stand & reverse

Thank you Milbear, I looked at it, I wonder about clearance. Do you hv one?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks pretty nice....I'd have to see a picture of it on the bike in the lower and raised position before I ordered though.....especially at 170+ dollars

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Center stnd & reverse

...that' why I need the cntr stnd for... I can't seem to get that trike off the ground

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have one, I will put it on after I get the bike from the shop. I understad it lowers your bike about and inch or so. there are other thread about these, both pro and con. One thing if you learn how to put the bike on a center stand the right way it not too hard. I'll scan and send you something on it.
I got mine because of having two broken wrist and a bumed up right knee it might take me a little time to have all my strength back in my wrists and knee. That, and it's harder to put the bike on / off the center stand while having a trailer attached.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Why would I need to get a trike if I can't get it up on the center stand?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could you use the REVERSE to assist in placing the bike on the CENTER STND????
I have accomplished this method a couple of times. Started with rear wheel on a 2x4. The trick is to get the stand to rotate down as you back off the 2x4. One time the 18 inch long 2x4 rotated up and jambed in the fender. Not a good scene.

I currently cheat and use a 3/4 inch thick board under the rear wheel while using the standard center stand method. If I have on thick soled shoes I don't need the board.

Bill

·
Registered
267 Posts
While at the Homecoming last year the tech on the final stage of assembly did exactly what your asking about. It looked easy but I have not tried it.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
No. Learn to use center stand properly. It is not that hard.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've seen them at rallies
They seem to work pretty well
I wouldn't laugh at a fella who had one
If I had trouble getting the bike on the
stand I'd get one

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would think the main reason to put your bike up on the center stand is to check the rear PSI. The ride-off stand keeps the rear tire on the ground and will not allow it to rotate. So that means manuvering the bike so when you get it up on the stand the valve is available which means more work. If you try putting the ride-off stand on a piece of wood and then putting it up you will find it even harder. (I had one on a 1500)

I am 5' tall and have no problems getting my 1800 (or any goldwing) up on it's centerstand. It takes a bit of practice and there is a technique but it is not that hard. Get both feet of the centerstand touching, it might feel like the bike is going over the other way but you will feel the second foot of the stand touch then put weight on stand bar and pull up with passenger grab rail. Make sure you are on a flat surface. When I do it in my garage it is easy when the bike is pointing in but if I back the bike in I find it a bit harder to get the bike up.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ride off stands aren't for everybody. I have one because I never felt comfortable trying to get the bike on the OEM stand. The ride off stand is 3/4 inch shorter than the OEM and as stated does not allow the rear wheel to clear the ground, no big issue for me. Mostly I use it when I am fueling. The guy at Honda Homecoming that was testing the bikes did use reverse to put the GW on an OEM stand, but the bike didn't have a seat on it. I have a friend that is 6'4" and he tried it and almost dropped his bike.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
MY wife gave me a "ride off" center stand.. i put it on..and I love it...
however the rear tire does not clear the ground.. but I use a piece of 3/4" plywood when I want to spin the rear tire to check the air or polish the rim...
and to answer your question.. Yes ..you can put the bike in reverse to put it on the center stand..

cosmic

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
No. Learn to use center stand properly. It is not that hard.

I agree.
And no disrespect on Hal's prices, but @ $169.00, I'd learn to use the center stand really quick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can see the value of having a ride-off center stand. I've test ridden one goldwing with and one goldwing without. I'd put any bike of mine on a sidestand before a centerstand. Seems more stable with three points of contact spread out rather than in a line.

But for riding with a passenger. It sure would be nice to put it on the centerstand, have her get on (cause no self-respecting guy would ride as a PASSENGER! ;) ) and drive off rather than have her get on with a sidestand or have to rock the bike off with a passenger on it.

However if you're just looking to park it on a centerstand, while it's not as easy as a sidestand, it was a HECK of a lot easier than my FJR. DESPITE being much heavier! My FJR takes a considerable amount more effort to get up on the centerstand than the goldwing did. Surprised the hell outta me!

Alexi

1 - 20 of 30 Posts