GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the GL1800, and I searched the archives trying to find an answer to my problem.

I have no issues getting the bike on the center stand, but have a hard time getting it off the stand. :(

On other bikes I have owned I have simply got on the bike and rolled it off the center stand. The Wing is both heavy and high and I end up rocking it back and forth to get it off, and even that is pretty darn hard.

Any sugestions?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rocking it back and forth is the way I do it, and it will gently set down, I'm a little skinney guy and have no problem getting it off the stand.....now getting it on the stand is another story :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just keep practicing. I'm 160 pounds and have gotten it down to an art of one sway forward and it rolls off.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Silly question, probably, but it's not facing uphill where you park is it?

I'm about 175 pounds, and I can just straddle the bike, pull back on the bars to stretch the forks a little, then just push forward as it rebounds. It rolls right off with no problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, I will keep practicing till I get it. I thought a possibility might be to try getting it off the stand without seating on it, something that I had not dared to try.

Mr. Ed, no fear there I always practice on level ground before graduating to more serious and challenging venues. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
areg said:
I have no issues getting the bike on the center stand, but have a hard time getting it off the stand. :(
I am 5-6 and 150 and I can get it on the stand just fine.

With it up there, I can't touch the ground without sliding right up to the gas cap and only then with tippy toes.

The way I get it off the stand is to put the side stand down.

Grab the handlebar and the back handgrip while facing across the bike.

I put my left foot on the side stand.

I then drag in a swinging to the left motion with both arms and let it roll off the stand as I push with my left foot on the side stand to keep it forward. As it rolls off, I pull back on the rear grip to prevent it rolling too far forward. It finishes up neatly parked on the side stand.

Piece of cake. I have had center stand bikes for 30+ years and had to develop the tactic early-on as I have never been any taller. <vbg>

Never lost one off the stand doing it this way either

FTW

G

·
FTW-- that's pretty much what I do, although I keep both feet planted firmly on the ground. Assuming level ground, I find it quite easy to halt the forward momentum and let the bike lean over to the side-stand.
Ron
:blw1: '03

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
If you have some trouble getting her on and off the stand; then maybe you should also practice setting the bike up right after you lay her down. Its gonna happen, right when ya least expect it. Some busy intesection with gravel or oil under your foot. There is a trick to it and ya don't need brute strength. Back your butt up against the side of the seat while your foreward hand grips the handle bar grip and your reaward had grips the passenger handle. Form a tucked postion ya start pushing back with your legs as you also start to stand upright. Tilts her right up. How do I know this............... oops.

prs

·
Registered
823 Posts
What year model is your wing? I had a 02 that was very easy to get off the center stand and now I have a 04 that is a B**** to get off of the center stand. I had a friend that has an 03 to confirm this as truth and not just me getting weaker in my old age. His 03 comes off of the center stand much easier than my 04.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts