GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were on a covered bridge run in New Hampshire today and ended up on a dirt road. I am not sure how but the center stand spring busted or popped off. What a racket that made, I had a bungie cord and was able to pull it up for the ride home.

Does anyone know the size of the spring? can I buy a replacemeent at an auto parts store or hardware store?

If any one can help me either reply here or email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Dale

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dale, I lost mine last week. I was kicking a stick off the road for my friends, it jumped up and got my spring. Its a funny looking spring kind of like the ones that they useto put in drum brakes with a long arm on one end and a short on the other. Call the Honda dealers that your going to be passing, they won't all have one. $8.00, It's not easy to put on, I have a break spring tool so it wasn't hard. I tryed with a screwdriver, no luck. Good luck, Russ

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
... I am not sure how but the center stand spring busted or popped off. ....
You don't mention what year your Wing is, but if it is an early model like mine the spring was probably hit by debris and dislodged.

The early version of the spring curved downward at the center stand and was subject to being dislodged by road debris. Within a few years they started making the spring so it curved upward at the center stand. (No, you cannot just turn the original one around)

Early 'downward' versions of the spring can be tie-wrapped in place to insure they can't be dislodged. Ordering a replacement spring should get you the new and improved model, but make sure it's the newer version which curves upward before you install it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russ
Thanks for the email, I have a friend that owns a Mienike shop and can borrow a spring tool.
All boots no saddlle
Thanks for the response and the advice on the spring my bike is an 03. I ordered the spring from Direct Line shipped to me, it cost more to ship it.

Item Total: $5.92
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $7.50
Order Total: $13.42
Kind regards,

Dale

1 - 5 of 5 Posts