GL1800Riders Forums banner

Center Stand Springs

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  eodean 
#1 ·
Cruising along and hit a bump and felt a quick grind. I pulled over to check it out and found nothing dragging. Is this the center stand swinging down? If so, is it common? Do the springs wear out? I dunno...
Thanks

#3 ·
The center stand spring on my '05 broke at about 15,000 miles. Definitely an attention-getting grinding sound when the stand hit the pavement!

At nearly 80,000 miles, the replacement spring is still working.

But no, I've never felt or heard the center stand sag when riding over a bump.

#7 ·
...if the stand dropped while in gear, wouldn't the bike shut down or is that only the side stand?
There is no sensor for the center stand. You can run the bike through all of the gears (engine running) with the bike on the center stand.

#8 ·
Center stand spring

Had my spring come off the center stand when I ran over a tire gater that a car threw in my path. Stand dragged till I pulled over,quickly, and shut down. Spring was still attached to bike and I was able to stretch it back over the center stand.Bike DOES NOT shut down when this happens. Makes a scary dragging noise at 75+MPH though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.