GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on the boards that a lot of people have trouble getting their bike on the center stand, the owner's manual does not go far enough. Once you have the bike vertical right foot on center stand touching the floor turn your bodyto the left so your right side is next to bike, (here is the trick) slide your left foot slightly behind and to the side of your right foot, pull up back on passenger handgrab and back on left handle bar, note if you have passenger arm rests swing them back out of the way. Practice using a spotter on the other side of the bike. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
596 Posts
After breaking my right hand and arm in '92 I couldn't centerstand my FJ1200; I just didn't have enough strength in my right hand. I discovered that I could park with the rear tire on a scrap piece of 1x4, and it'd centerstand much more easily. Just getting it to clear the ground was the hard part, and that 3/4" headstart was enough. After a few weeks, I was able to do it without the cheater board.

People having trouble centerstanding the GL1800 might try this trick. Then after getting more comfortable with the technique, you shouldn't need the board.

·
Registered
364 Posts
In addition to the previous posts ....Here's what I have found very helpful... I mean very helpful. Run the rear suspension adjustment up to its highest setting. That takes all the work out of it. It works fo me.
KC

·
Registered
267 Posts
I find if I drive my right foot down hard, almost standing on the center stand foot pedal, I need very little lift with my upper body. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Having never had a bike before with a center stand, I REALLY battled this when I first got the Wing. I discovered that my problem was that I didn't have the bike quite vertical. I was trying to raise the bike up on just the left portion of the stand. Now I "feel" both sides of the stand touch, so I know the bike is vertical, and just step down and pull back. Goes smooth.

Here's the question I have... how do you smoothly bring the bike down OFF the center stand?? I end up having to rock and rock the bike forward until it just drops off. Is there a "smoother" way?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Dave, I just sit on the bike, push forward with my feet and kind of push my body forward at the same time. Works for me. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave I do it the same way as Lucky Phil.

G

·
Not sure why I do this (habit?) but I usually bring the bike back to the side-stand before mounting....stand on left side, rock the bike forward, and let it lean left onto the side-stand, preferably after arresting forward momentum! Never was comfortable doing the rockin'-horse thing from a mounted position. :roll:

Ron
:blw1:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Regarding getting the bike on the center-stand... the most important point in all of these posts is using your body weight instead of lifting with your arms. Stand-up on the center-stand lowering mechanism with your right foot. This places most of your body weight on it, then rock backward. And yes... it is easier with the suspension set to a high setting (i.e. over 20).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
To put it on the center stand, I place my full weight on the center-stand foot lever and lift up and back at the same time. Not much trouble at all.
To take it off the center-stand I hop on, start the motor, pull in the clutch, select 1st gear, keep both feet on the pegs, rock it forward and off the stand and away I go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone remember where the drive off and on center stand was sold? I have seen them at Biloxi Rally but can't remember where they were from. Maybe some of the 1500 riders can remember when they bought them from.

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
173 Posts
I used to put my bike on the centerstand before dismounting. Just put your left heel on the centerstand lever and stand up while pulling back on the handle bars. Worked great! Now that I think about it, that was when I had a CB 750. :D

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Whatever you do, don't try doing it with shoes or boots with smooth hard soles. Like cowboy boots for instance. I gaurantee the the result won't be to your satisfaction. :oops:

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Whatever you do, don't try doing it with shoes or boots with smooth hard soles. Like cowboy boots for instance. I gaurantee the the result won't be to your satisfaction."

I'm not gonna ask ya how ya know that, because I know that too!

I also know how to pick a Gold Wing up off the garage floor - three times.

:roll:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wingman26 said:
What Tom said above, after making sure the bike is level, use your weight to stand on the center stand pad, almost no lifting is required if you do it right.
I can put all my weight on my right foot on the centerstand pedal with me left foot off the ground, and I still have to pull up with my right hand. Actually, I guess I'm holding myself down while I push with my foot, but he result is the same.

Maybe the fact that I'm a 170# weakling has something to do with it ;)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Maybe some of us are not OVERWEIGHTED with the ability to shift the body weight momentium. Five years ago I am sure the centerstand would have been a problem for me, now the only problem is the bathroom scale. LOL

·
Registered
596 Posts
GL03 said:
Maybe some of us are not OVERWEIGHTED with the ability to shift the body weight momentium. Five years ago I am sure the centerstand would have been a problem for me, now the only problem is the bathroom scale. LOL
I didn't mean to indicate I have a problem with the centerstand; it's really very easy. It's just that my weight alone won't do it. I have to pull up on the handle in order to push down hard enough on the lever. I can see where a shorter, lighter person may find this difficult.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cowboy boots

scarredpelt said:
Whatever you do, don't try doing it with shoes or boots with smooth hard soles. Like cowboy boots for instance. I gaurantee the the result won't be to your satisfaction. :oops:
You might check out your neighborhood police uniform shops. They're a little hard to find, but you can get cowboy boots with Vibram waffle, no-slip soles. I don't know any brand names off hand, but I had a conversation with an officer wearing a pair while I was sitting in court waiting for my case to come up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts