GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Deep Pearl Gray
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2021 Goldwing DCT (non tour) I have no problems going from side stand to center stand, my issue is going from center stand back to side stand as each time it lands, I feel as though the bike becomes unstable for a split second as fight to maintain stability by holding steady to make the bike straight and upright on its X and Y axis.

Perhaps what I need to do is engage the parking brake so that it will prevent any forward or backward movement and I can just focus on keeping the bike from making wild side to side movements.

How do you take your bike from center stand to side stand especially the Touring version owners with the top case?

·
Administrator
4,846 Posts
It sounds as though you are taking it off the centerstand by standing beside the bike. I take mine off the centerstand by sitting in the saddle and rocking the bike forward. It's easy and stable.

Glen

·
Registered
327 Posts
On my 2021 Goldwing DCT (non tour) I have no problems going from side stand to center stand, my issue is going from center stand back to side stand as each time it lands, I feel as though the bike becomes unstable for a split second as fight to maintain stability by holding steady to make the bike straight and upright on its X and Y axis.

Perhaps what I need to do is engage the parking brake so that it will prevent any forward or backward movement and I can just focus on keeping the bike from making wild side to side movements.

How do you take your bike from center stand to side stand especially the Touring version owners with the top case?
My routine:
  1. make sure side stand is UP (prevent accident getting foot / leg caught)
  2. sit on the bike, extend my legs down (32" inseam, tip of my toes hit floor when sit on center stand)
  3. squeeze the hand brake to lock front wheel
  4. rock back and forth until bike comes off stand, plant feet firmly
  5. put side stand down, lean bike on it
Works every time. No near falls. BTW - I have never attempted to take bike off of center stand while I stand. Too easy to do it sitting on bike.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
557 Posts
I only dream of sitting on the bike and rocking it off the center stand since I'm not tall enough. I have no problem standing beside it, with the side stand down and rocking it forward. I did that for 38 years with my 1983 Goldwing and now, the past 2 years with my 2020. Never caught my leg, never dropped it. But both bikes were manuals.

Gotta rely on muscle memory.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
222 Posts
Imho, never take it off the center stand with the kick stand down - that's a risky move. If you can sit on the bike at a stop light comfortably, you can certainly straddle the bike upright and touch your feet with it on the stand? You don't have to push off with your feet so much but more rock your body and it literally falls right down. Much safer. But again, do what works for you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
3 of 4 response sitting on the bike to got off the center stand, yes I have been doing that routine, only problem is if the ground is slightly canted up, getting it off while on the bike feels like riding a young "bucking bull"...lol

On my BMW GSA 6speed manual, I usually put it on first gear, side stand down and I rock the bike forward while standing on the left side and it lands down with no scary moments...lol

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
839 Posts
I always stand beside when getting it off the center stand. Done it that way all my life. Side stand up, front wheel straight. Left hand on handgrip, right hand on the passenger grab handle. Put it on the side stand before getting aboard though.

Try practicing with someone on the right side to catch if necessary. You'll get the feel eventually. Or just use the sitting-on method as most seem to do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always stand beside when getting it off the center stand. Done it that way all my life. Side stand up, front wheel straight. Left hand on handgrip, right hand on the passenger grab handle. Put it on the side stand before getting aboard though.

Try practicing with someone on the right side to catch if necessary. You'll get the feel eventually. Or just use the sitting-on method as most seem to do.
Do you ride a DCT or 6speed manual?

·
Registered
563 Posts
This applies if standing on the left side of the bike. Turn it to the right just a tad and push it off the center stand. Keep the wheel straight for putting it on the center stand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too have sat on the bike and rocked it forward to get the bike rear tire on the ground. With any slight upward incline or home garage incline from building code this can look quite funny with a short inseam, kidding aside.

May I suggest pulling the bike off the center stand when standing on the left side.

Disclaimer: I’m not responsible for any damages or bodily injuries with this description. This is my method for many years and with different motorcycles. This is a technique that I’ve learned from experienced motorcycle dealer/shop personnel and when I wrenched/worked at a motorcycle dealer/shop.

This my preferred method/process. Front wheel straight, standing next to bike, position my left foot forward of the right foot (like a boxer stance with knees slightly bent), left hand on left handlebar grip. Left hand is only use to help keep the bike balanced when rear wheel touches the ground. Using the left hand to force bike off center stand will disrupt control and balance of bike. Right hand grasping the left passenger grab rail.

With your body/hips and right hand, pull forward and lifting motion. Use only enough force to overcome the center stand going over center. Bike rear wheels will touch ground, move or lean on side stand. That's it.

This may feel awkward until you become comfortable. I also recommend engine in gear or parking brake engaged and a competent spotter until you get the hang of it. Good luck to all that try this process.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I also stand beside the bike but I leave the side stand down been doing this for fifty years never dumped it yet, side stand down both hands on the bars as soon as it's coming off the center stand I grab the front brake it never moves then just lean it over to the left and let it finish warming up and of I go.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
There are only two ways I will take the bike off the center stand. One, I am sitting on the bike. I do this method 99.99% of the time. The other is with another person on the other side of the bike to help hold it when it drops total weight on the tires. I think I have done this one once. I just wish I could remove the "cruiser bike stand" while sitting on the M50. Instead, I have to hold the bike stable with the "not part of the bike" stand wedged under at 99% of the bike weight on the tires for a second or so before totally removing the stand and put on side stand. It is a very unnerving process......

·
Registered
177 Posts

I’m 5’9” and 175 pounds. I leave the side stand up, stand on the left side of the bike, make sure the front wheel is straight or slightly turned to the right so the bike will either go straight or lean slightly toward me, place my left hand on the left hand grip ad my right hand on the left passenger grab rail, place my right foot against the center stand and pull the bike forward to drop off the center stand. Always feels stable to me but have been practicing a while.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
At less than 5' 6" with 29" inseam I always am sitting on the bike, shifted to the right on the seat so my right foot can solidly push the bike forward off the center stand. I have both hands on the grips, right hand on the brake, handlebars pointed slightly to the left so the bike leans to the right against my right leg when it comes down onto both wheels.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
839 Posts
Do you ride a DCT or 6speed manual?
DCT but it shouldn't matter. Engine off and in neutral.

Lots of options presented here. But I prefer only my left hand on the bars. With both hands on the grips, I can't get enough lift or force to move it plus I'd be leaning over the bike too much to be safe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This video by MotoJitsu® seems shows very good techniques from side stand to center stand...I since DCT will be in neutral, the engaging the parking brake will do the first gear trick...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts