GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me weighing only 155 pounds I know I'll never get a GW on it's center stand and would like to know if a motorcycle jack can be used to lift it up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes you can as it needs to be on the side stand to get the lift in place to balance the bike as it is raised. Unfortunately this balancing act requires that the piviot point of the center stand be used as one of the lift points. Therefore once the bike is in the air, the center stand can't be lowered.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a good solid point under the bike to place jack.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It may not seem like it now, but with a little practice and some technique you can get the Wing on its center stand. Do a search in these forums and you will see the technique described. It takes very little strength.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It is easier for me to put my GW on it's center stand than my 750 Vulcan that weighs 300lbs lighter.

I attribute that to the low center of gravity of the GW. Just putting the GW on the side stand, placing my right hand on the passenger grip, my left hand on the clutch handle grip, and then "stepping" down on the center stand foot "lever" while guiding the GW slightly to the rear tire rides the GW smoothly up on the center stand.

The most important measure is to be sure both legs of the center stand are meeting the pavement (or garage floor) equally.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My wife can put the Wing on it's center stand. Like Dan18960 said it's more technique than anything. She found it's a lot easier if she really puts the weight into standing on the centerstand while snapping the bike up and to the rear. Yes, be sure both legs are on the ground. Get someone to help at first, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Put center stand down on floor, with right foot. Lift bike off side stand and balance (almost) straight upright, balancing with left hand on handbar. Put body weight on right foot and use right hand to pull up on the back lifting handle, remembering to keep back straight. Bike will easily rotate onto the center stand. Job done!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Me weighing only 155 pounds I know I'll never get a GW on it's center stand and would like to know if a motorcycle jack can be used to lift it up.
Heck, I'm 5'5" and weigh in at 125lbs and can get the bike on the center stand with no problem. It's all technique.

·
Registered
92 Posts
One thing that helps is to jack the rear shock all the way up to 25 before you try to put it on the center stand. I found it makes a lot of difference.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Run your back tire up on a 1-in (thick) piece of board before you try it. This will make it even easier to get up on the stand.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
The "technique" is well described elsewhere. Confidence also plays a big role -- getting over the fear of dropping it and knowing that you can and will be successful. To "help the technique" (cheat?) do the following the first few times. Get a couple of scraps of 3/4" plywood to place on the floor such that you can drive the cycle's front and rear tires onto them. Make sure the bike is in neutral, do have the rear pre-load at max. Wear hard sole footwear. Practice. It will pop-up with fair ease once you master the technique and soon the plywood will not be necessary.

Using a cycle jack like the Craftsman or Bulldog; the center stand, when up, has two metal tabs pointing downward that serve well as the rear contact point for the jack, then the front just contacts where ever it does on the bottom of the engine or belly pan. Strap'er down securely! A PepsX stand is a neat accessory if you want to safely work on it while its up and to get the jack out of the way.

prs

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
It really is all about the technique (read Donski's method). I weigh 165 lbs. and with just beach thongs I put it on the centerstand all the time.
I really, really, really hope you mean "flip flops" because I don't want to imagine the other kind of "thong."

·
Registered
384 Posts
Run your back tire up on a 1-in (thick) piece of board before you try it. This will make it even easier to get up on the stand.
This is what I do & yes it works great for me. Bad back, bad hips

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It may not seem like it now, but with a little practice and some technique you can get the Wing on its center stand. Do a search in these forums and you will see the technique described. It takes very little strength.
All true; however, I find it seems to take more strength sometimes to pull the bike OFF the center stand once I've got it up there -- especially if it is facing up a small incline! Oh --- and don't forget to put your side kick stand down BEFORE you pull the bike off the center stand

·
Registered
280 Posts
The hardest part for me in using the center stand was getting past the point where I thought I was going to drop the bike over onto it's right side. Now it is a piece of cake after that first time finding and feeling the point where the center stand is touching the ground at both points.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The hardest part for me in using the center stand was getting past the point where I thought I was going to drop the bike over onto it's right side. Now it is a piece of cake after that first time finding and feeling the point where the center stand is touching the ground at both points.
Ugh. I remember that ONE time...

I drove to work in a drizzle. My boot was wet (and probably a bit oily, since it hadn't rained in months) and I stood on the center stand, pulling back and up and...
You guessed it. My boot slipped off the centerstand and time went into Slow Motion as she rocked forward and to the right -- on to her side.

Which brought me to the OTHER skill that's really not as difficult as it sounds, once you know the trick: picking up a 900 pound bike.

Live & learn -- and practice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts