GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tricks to getting my gl1800 on its center stand without throwing my back out?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know about bad backs..I have one.....as far as the center stand is concerned, if I wear hard soled shoes or boots it is much easier than if I wear tennis shoes. I dont even try to raise the bike on the center stand anymore if I am wearing tennis shoes. Using hard soles, I put all my petite male modeling weight..cough cough.....on the center stand extension bar and push as hard as I can while raising up on the left passenger hand hold. Works pretty good...and hasnt thrown my back out yet. the key is put all your weight on the center stand foot bar...all of it...makes it so much easier. And, for those who really need it...a drive on center stand is available...just sit in the saddle and use reverse..works like a charm..and you dont have to worry about your back. When you are ready to go, just drive off...pretty slick.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
First set your suspension at full Pre-Load of 25 to raise the rear of the bike as much as possable with the Rear Shock Spring.

Then follow the directions on page 73 in the Owners Manual

"To lower the center stand, stand on the left side of the motorcycle. Hold the passenger handgrip attached to the seat. Press down on the tip of the stand with your right foot and, simultaneously, pull up and back on the passenger handgrip."

Driving the Rear Wheel up on a 1" thick board will help too if the above isn't enough. Just be sure that the board isn't too thick to prevent it from rolling forward off of the board. Once it is in place remove the board.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
One of the BIG Keys is also to make sure the bike is straight upright. When you stand on the kickstand peg and feel it hit the floor make sure that BOTH sides are on the floor, it kinda feels like your going to go over the other way just before the other side hits the pavement. I had my buddy on the opposite side the first few times I tried to get it up. Lift up and back while pushing down with your foot, after yo do it once it's a piece of cake. As said above I always use my riding boots to put her up !
Tennis shoes ? Ouch ! Don't ask me how I know ! LOL :wink:

·
Registered
759 Posts
dd...very intersting...I will give that a try for the halibut......

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There really isn't much lifting required, as mentioned above wear hard soled shoes or boots, stand on the foot pad, let your weight do the work, the right hand on the passenger grip helps, but it's your weight that does the work. It was mentioned above the importance of making sure both sides of the center stand are on the ground, if it isn't level, both pads on the ground, it's almost impossible to get it on the center stand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only thing that was over looked is to make sure it is in Neutral before you put it on the center stand. :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
center stand

Make sure your shoes or boots do not have smooth leather soles.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree about making sure the bike is fully upright. You have a natural tendency to lean it towards you. That was my problem at first. It's a lot more difficult to balance it on one side of the centerstand. :lol:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Hoss said:
The only thing that was over looked is to make sure it is in Neutral before you put it on the center stand. :lol:
Yes, have it in NEUTRAL, so the rear wheel will roll as it goes up on the stand. This makes a huge difference for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read somewhere that if you LOOK to the rear of the bike, your body english will naturally pull the bike to the rear and magically up onto the center stand.

This, of course, assumes that you have followed the advice already listed here: Be sure BOTH legs of the center stand are touching the ground; make sure the bike is in neutral; be sure you're NOT wearing sneakers or your foot will slip off the center stand and the bike will fall over (don't ask me how I know this).

·
Registered
436 Posts
les

Once you learn to get it up with ease and you are proud of yourself, be very careful not to pull it towards you trying to get it back down off of the stand. :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Center Stand

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to be sure the bike is in neutral. You can get it onto the stand in gear but it takes a lot of muscle and is much more work than necessary. I have found that getting my Wing onto its center stand is much easier than doing the same with a Kawasaki KZ1000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Center Stand

I forgot to mention the importance of making sure the bike is absolutely perpendicular so that both feet of the stand are on the ground when you start to lift on the hand grip. This makes the bike much more stable and easier to lift.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As a first time biker in 2003 and going right to the big bike, there was a learning curve on every aspect from riding to putting the bike on the center stand. I was instructed very well from the dealer in South Saint Paul. However, taking it off the center stand, well that was a different story. No instruction; this was slightly over looked by my salesperson. So you can imagine, when that bike came off the stand, a little bouce and a slight learn to the right. It did not fall, however, I always pause before jerking it off the center stand, ensuring the bike is not learning left or right, plus bracing myself. Would you all agree these are the little things that need instruction. All the dealer needs to do is spend 15 minute on these little things.

All you warm-weather folks, be safe out there. I will be out soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it OK just to sit on the bike and just rock it forward off the center stand? Is that a dumb question or what?

Glenn

·
Registered
67 Posts
center stand

GAtkins you bet it is okay. I am only 5'7" tall at 155 lbs and that is the safest way for me to get the bike off the center stand as far as I am concerned. Make sure the side stand is up when you do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
CENTER STAND NO LONGER A PROBLEM

OK, I tried but can't stay out of this one! Yes, I know about "technique"; Boots;Brawn; and all the rest but this 1800 is a bear to put on center stand. So when all you 300#, young hard bodies with big boots stop talking and listen to us old 5'6",160 lbs guys and women.....Who enjoy the Gl1800 as much as you. THEN you will get a Power Pak center and it is a JOY to put on Stand. Steadier ! Safer ! Easier! Ride On ! Ride Off ! and 10 minutes to install and the BEST accessory you can have. Yes, it can be put on ctr stand with one hand (if you wanted to). And I don't feel any less "mucho", just smarter !
Thanks for listening :D
OneEyeJack
Arlington, TX
'03 Candy Red

1 - 20 of 48 Posts